Whoopi Live On Broadway

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#1Whoopi Live On Broadway
Posted: 12/2/15 at 6:12pm

I'm watching the recording right now and I am absolutely blown away. Curious to know who saw it actually live in the theatre? How did it compare to the recording? It really is such a masterclass in acting

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#2Whoopi Live On Broadway
Posted: 12/2/15 at 6:18pm

Foolishly, I didn't see it until it was on TV. When it was on Broadway, I didn't know what a "Whoopi Goldberg" was. But I agree she's bloody brilliant in the film version.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Whoopi Live On Broadway
Posted: 12/2/15 at 7:11pm

She also said an anniversary run which was also recorded.  Some different pieces.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#4Whoopi Live On Broadway
Posted: 12/2/15 at 9:10pm

I saw the original run twice.  I was a NYU college student then and they would comp us.  She was brilliant.  But it was way too long ago for me to remember how the filmed version is different. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Capeguy Profile Photo
Capeguy
#5Whoopi Live On Broadway
Posted: 12/3/15 at 12:27pm

I saw it while it was in previews. I thought I was going to see a play named "Whoppi Goldberg." I chose it at TKTS simply because it was directed by Mike Nichols. WOW! I was blown away -- she was so incredible. I wish she would revisit these "characters" again. The filmed version was fine but there's nothing like seeing someone perform a show like that in person.

sdgold60
#6Whoopi Live On Broadway
Posted: 12/4/15 at 8:54am

I got a chance to see them both... I loved that Whoopi can encompass the whole stage and turn herself into those characters. you no longer are watching Whoopi Goldberg but rather whatever characters shows up. I like that in number 2 or the last one, she revisited some of her characters but added new ones. I saw it right after she was banned by the Bush Administration for speaking out so she was talking about that too.  it was my 49th birthday and I asked  the House Manager to have a poster signed for me. I took a chance and it was returned by intermission with a personal note from Whoopi. I have seen her at concerts in NYC and she is gracious and takes pictures and has limits. When Whoopi says No its no..... I would recommend seeing the one man plays of John Legizamo. he also recalls his life growing up, through his experiences as Young John and the characters who are the people in his life.  I have seen them all. 

Videos