pixeltracker

What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?- Page 9

What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#200What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/18/15 at 12:55am

It would take some serious work but a reimagined March of the Wooden Soldiers (Babes in Toyland) would be a cool idea. It would have the nostalgic draw to it as well as the magic to draw a young new audience.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#201What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/18/15 at 1:38am

Oliver! Seems like the best idea but if Cam Mac is still set on that film adaption then I doubt a LIVE version would happen.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

dunebuddy
#202What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/18/15 at 6:59pm

Mame.  It even has a Christmas song in it!  And a little kid (hmm - Jason Trembley?) making it family friendly.  Who could play the title character?

#203What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/19/15 at 3:33am

"The Drowsy Chaperone" -- it has everything -- a wide age-range multi-racial cast, terrific songs, and Bob Saget, who is a long-time TV star, was an excellent "Man In Chair" and believe me -- people would tune in to see him.  But they would definitely need some kind of studio audience, because the show is so funny that without an audience laughing, the whole rhythm would be thrown off.  

Bob Saget has one of the worst potty-mouths in show biz, but he was a brilliant Man In Chair.  I was shocked how great he was.  

Georgia Engel was the original "Mrs. Tottendale," and she also would be a draw for TV audiences (and she was absolutely terrific).  The part of Janet VanDergraffe would probably be best for a brand new ingenue to get 'discovered,' though Sutton Foster (and Mara Davi) were both so spectacular -- if they didn't wait too long they'd still be able to play those parts since they are both ageless beauties.  

Come to think of it, Edward Hibbert, who was on "Fraiser" was an excellent "Underling," the butler -- also has that TV Q thing.  I saw this show 68 times (they had a lottery; I got addicted).  I tried to go once a week.  It was like church for me.  I was brought up Catholic, and believe you me, I'd rather give my money to The Drowsy Chaperone than to the Catholic Church any day.  

A high school drama teacher in New Jersey who was dating a musician friend of mine (who told her all about how crazy I was about the show) decided to do the show at her school based on how many times I had seen it (she trusted my taste).  Then she started emailing me with very basic questions -- BECAUSE SHE HAD NEVER SEEN THE SHOW!  Can you imagine?  She's going to direct it and never saw it?  

I had become friendly with the cast and was able to connect her to Garth Kravitz, one of the pastry chef/criminals in the show -- HE WENT TO NJ FOR FREE AND WORKED WITH THE STUDENTS.  For that alone he and his brother should reprise their roles on TV, as should Beth Leavel (who won the Tony as the Chaperone) and Danny Burstein (who didn't win but was nominated).  Danny B is going to emerge a full-fledged star with Fiddler, and nobody but nobody does "Aldolpho" like him.  The streak in his hair even developed it's own personality under Danny's tutelage. 

That's my humble opinion.  "The Drowsy Chaperone" live on NBC.  And I am available to be one of the cymbal playing monkeys.  I was born to play that part.  

BobbyBubbi  Profile Photo
BobbyBubbi
#204What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/19/15 at 6:28am

Meet Me in St. Louis could work. It's a classic film but it did get that brief Broadway adaptation, and they could expand on some of the musical numbers. It's got all the ingredients: star roles, all the mushy family themes, ect. 

I have a confession. I hate A Christmas Story. It's a terrible film that is forgiven of all its flaws for the sake of nostalgia and its shoved down our throats EVERY holiday season. Not. Interested. 

Hairspray is a no. There's already a film version. 

Mame is a no. It's too dated and as someone brought up on this board before, it's racist. "You make the south revive again Mame!" (or however Herman's lyric goes). Perhaps if they make a few updates to the book it could work. I can't off hand think of any relevant 'star' who would or should play Mame, though. 

... I'm sure Lea Michele is chomping at the bit to do Funny Girl LIVE. Zzzzzzz. 

Commercially, Fiddler is probably the best bet. Not the most interesting choice but I'd tune in to see it. 

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#205What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/19/15 at 1:56pm

They'll want to do a more popular show than The Drowsy Chaperone. 

Show2n Profile Photo
Show2n
#206What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/19/15 at 2:22pm

I love The Drowsy Chaperone idea.  Jim Parsons (Big Bang Theory) would be a fun Man in the Chair with Megan Mullally as the Chaperone.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#207What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/19/15 at 3:38pm

The producers have said over and over again that there will never be a studio audience in these live shows. So, if the show you're suggesting will "only work with a studio audience", the suggestion is pointless, really.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#208What should be NBC's next Live Musical ?
Posted: 12/19/15 at 5:13pm

BobbyBubbi said: "I have a confession. I hate A Christmas Story. It's a terrible film that is forgiven of all its flaws for the sake of nostalgia and its shoved down our throats EVERY holiday season. Not. Interested. "

A kid wants a gun and then the Asian characters are just there for everyone to laugh at their accents. What's more American than that?!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt