pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16

Hank
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/4/16 at 8:35pm

$43,065,472, for an average of $1,133,302.  Is that a new record for either or both?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/4/16 at 9:11pm

This is also cool

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/news/ct-the-lion-king-breaks-box-office-record-again-brings-in-23-million-20160104-story.html

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

GreenSharpie Profile Photo
GreenSharpie
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/4/16 at 11:18pm

ethan231h said: "Was at Spring Awakening again on saturday night, seemed to be sold out!, (at least in the orchestra), I do know they were close to sold out the entire week,s o happy about that. For anyone wondering my TDF seats were side orch row O seat 21, great view!

Also looking at what is available this week on ticketmaster, a lot has ben sold especially for weeknight performances, I wonder why? given that i'm sure many tourists just left the city."

I think procrastinating ticket buyers are finally buying tickets before Spring Awakening ends 1/24. This kind of show thrives on limited availability. For anyone who still hasn't seen the show (what are you waiting for??), I would not recommend waiting until the last few performances. I predict sell-outs.

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/5/16 at 2:05am

GreenSharpie said: "ethan231h said: "Was at Spring Awakening again on saturday night, seemed to be sold out!, (at least in the orchestra), I do know they were close to sold out the entire week,s o happy about that. For anyone wondering my TDF seats were side orch row O seat 21, great view!

Also looking at what is available this week on ticketmaster, a lot has ben sold especially for weeknight performances, I wonder why? given that i'm sure many tourists just left the city."

I think procrastinating ticket buyers are finally buying tickets before Spring Awakening ends 1/24. This kind of show thrives on limited availability. For anyone who still hasn't seen the show (what are you waiting for??), I would not recommend waiting until the last few performances. I predict sell-outs.

Most of the recent performances, and the matinee on Saturday, are sold out because the production was originally supposed to shutter on January 9th before it was extended.

"

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/5/16 at 2:50am

Call_me_jorge said: "This is also cool

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/news/ct-the-lion-king-breaks-box-office-record-again-brings-in-23-million-20160104-story.html

I wonder what Julie Taymor earns per week/month/yearly from world wide royalties for The Lion King.

"

BroadwayGirlie2 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirlie2
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/5/16 at 9:22am

Even though the Lion King that we saw last month isn't good this week it doesn't mean that it is not getting a lot of people going to the shows. It is almost at the 3,000,000 mark. So in my book it is still doing very well.

neonlightsxo
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/5/16 at 9:36am

GreenSharpie said: "I think procrastinating ticket buyers are finally buying tickets before Spring Awakening ends 1/24. This kind of show thrives on limited availability. For anyone who still hasn't seen the show (what are you waiting for??), I would not recommend waiting until the last few performances. I predict sell-outs"

Literally none of this is true.

GreenSharpie Profile Photo
GreenSharpie
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/5/16 at 11:40am

^  Okay... care to elaborate?

neonlightsxo
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/5/16 at 11:46am

Spring Awakening has not been selling well. At all. It's been selling poorly. I would guess that this past week's total of $688,989 is the only time they have made their weekly running cost. But it still made only 61% of its gross potential in the biggest week of the year. The capacity figure of 86.8% is decent, but again, this is the biggest week of the year and they are clearly discounting.

This show does not "thrive on limited availability". The sales figures show this. It has always been a limited run. Now that the holidays are over, we are headed into the slowest time of the year, and two of their stars are leaving early. Why would this show sell out now? It won't.

There is no such phenomenon as "procrastination ticket buyers". People who wanted to see this Spring Awakening have seen it already.

Updated On: 1/5/16 at 11:46 AM

skies Profile Photo
skies
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/5/16 at 1:54pm

Granted it was a 9 performance week, but FN still had the highest gross per show average of its entire run.  Still waiting for Matt's replacement since he's obviously rehearsing somewhere as we speak.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

binau Profile Photo
binau
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/5/16 at 3:59pm

"There is no such phenomenon as "procrastination ticket buyers". 

Shows often seem to have a bump in ticket sales near the end of the run (not always, but often). This suggests to me that procrastinating ticket buyers exist, or previous audience members are returning to see the show one last time in addition to the regular audience the show is able to bring in (it's hard to know the actual cause from the numbers).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

neonlightsxo
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/5/16 at 4:05pm

A slight bump, sure. Hand to God, for example. But not a sell out bump.

Pootie2
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/3/16
Posted: 1/6/16 at 10:36am

The Broadway League report:

Best Attended and Highest Grossing New Year's Week Ever
January 04, 2016

The week ending January 3, 2016 was the best attended and highest grossing on Broadway in recorded history

The Broadway League reports robust holiday attendance and grosses and a strong start to 2016. The week ending January 3, 2016 was the best attended and highest grossing on Broadway in recorded history.

Charlotte St. Martin, President of The Broadway League, said, "The Broadway holiday season kicks off a happy new year! The week ending Saturday, January 3, 2016 was the best attended and highest grossing New Year's week, and the best attended and highest grossing week on Broadway overall to date. Audiences are clearly enjoying the variety of new shows in addition to long-running favorites."

Week 32 (the week ending Sunday, January 3, 2016), was the best attended and highest grossing New Year's week, and the best attended and highest grossing week on Broadway overall to date. The total attendance for the week ending January 3, 2016 was 357,718 (an increase of 20% from prior week) and total gross was $43,065,466 (an increase of 19% from prior week.)

As of week 32 (week ending Sunday, January 3, 2016), season-to-date attendance is 8,133,116 admissions, and season-to-date gross is $865,725,125.

There were 38 shows playing during New Year's week, compared to 37 shows during the same week last season.

For 2015, the total gross was $1.354 billion and total attendance was 12.98 million. This includes the 52 weeks beginning the week ending Sunday, January 4, 2015 through the week ending Sunday, December 27, 2015.

Maybe the milder winter so far has helped?

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin