pixeltracker

Tall people blocking view in theatre- Page 6

Tall people blocking view in theatre

spikethebunny Profile Photo
spikethebunny
#125Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 11:40am

quizking101 said: "
If you're short, and I'm in front of you, I'm not changing myself around to make you more comfortable.

If my disregard to your sense of entitlement upsets you, please go piss up the nearest flagpole.

"

Curious how someone wanting to be able to see a show they paid to see makes them entitled?

I'm 5'1" and I've done all the things people suggested. I usually try to get aisle. Or front mezz (though, the stupid bar can sometimes be worse). My husband and I flip seats if it will help. I have viewed shows practically leaning into my neighbor's lap to peer between shoulders. I have sat on my jacket and boosters. I don't buy floor seats at concerts. But once in a while, despite all this, I end up in the orchestra (because like you I have bought rush) with a tall person in front of me. While I have honestly never asked them to move so I can see, boy do I appreciate it when they see me peering and adjust. By paying for our tickets, aren't we both "entitled" to enjoy the show? How about helping each other out instead of just saying "screw you and your height. Sucks to be you."

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#126Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 2:34pm

spike, I don't think you read the entire thread--and I don't blame you since it's pretty long.

But any number of we who are tall have talked about our efforts to accommodate those behind us. I think most of the talk about "entitlement" began in jest.

LarryD2
#127Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 2:39pm

RippedMan said: "I'm tall and tend to lean forward and it's so annoying when people ask me to sit a certain way. 

"

You've always come across as an ass-hole in your posts here, so it doesn't surprise me that you would feel no shame and perfect entitlement in deliberately blocking the view of the person behind you my leaning forward. You can't control your height, but you can control your behavior -- learn some manners. Theater is a shared experience, and the person whose view you're blocking has just as much right to watch the show unobstructed as you do.

Updated On: 6/28/16 at 02:39 PM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#128Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:06pm

I feel like box seats would benefit a lot of people who are shorter. I'm average height but I sat in the boxes at kinky boots and it was fantastic basically having nobody really in front or behind you 

Updated On: 6/28/16 at 03:06 PM

SFFrontRow
#129Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:09pm

GavestonPS said: "spike, I don't think you read the entire thread--and I don't blame you since it's pretty long.

But any number of we who are tall have talked about our efforts to accommodate those behind us. I think most of the talk about "entitlement" began in jest.

It is a tall persons' world and we "shorties" just live to serve in it.

Lets face it, unless you pick side aisle or front row front mezz, it is a crapshoot for everyone.

A 6'2" person can get stuck behind a 6'7" person.

And one note, the Richard Rogers theater has the steepest orchestra rake of them all.

VintageSnarker
#130Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:29pm

"The worst viewing experience I had at Kinky Boots.  I had to watch in between this dude!"

This. I accept that things likely won't be "perfect." But for the most part I only look for solutions when a huge chunk of the stage is being blocked. If I didn't want to see anything I would stay at home and listen to a cast album or, for a concert, buy a cheap seat all the way in the back. 

And people who lean forward in the mezzanine can f*** off. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#131Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:35pm

Just the thought of leaning forward for an entire 2.5 show makes my back ache.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

mailhandler777
#132Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:39pm

I'm 5'10" but I'm all legs so if someone taller than me sits in front of me I can't see a thing. My biggest issue though is having enough leg room. I usually end up kneeing the person in front of me if I'm in the mezzanine or balcony since there is nowhere to put my legs and be comfortable the whole show. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#133Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 4:15pm

I'm not short, but if someone really tall sits in front of me, oh well what can you do, that's just part of seeing theatre with other humans. They can't change their height.

Leaners, though. No, f*ck you leaners. Deliberately choosing to block the view of others is an incredibly bull-sh*tty move and there is no excuse for it.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

ghostlight2
#135Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 7:34pm

Yep.

Tall people can't help being tall, but even a short person leaning forward can obstruct the view of others sitting behind them. Sit back in your seat, and please, try not to bob around.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#136Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:04pm

At 4 feet 11 inches, I know well the pain of being blocked. I try for the front row, but that's often below the stage's surface. I'd love stadium seating, but it probably would limit the size of the audience enough to be economically impossible.

For anyone who saw the 1980's movie "Somewhere in Time," on which the musical was based, there is a scene in which the late Christopher Reeve's character watches a play, and all the patrons in the row behind him are smiling. It never would have happened because Mr. Reeve was 6'4", and even in the film, he was blocking the view. I can accept time travel, but smiling when sitting behind Christopher Reeve? Never! Tall people blocking view in theatre

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#137Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 10:31pm

My brother in law is 6'5" and loves going to the theatre.  He's beyond self conscious about sitting in front of others but there is nothing he can do about it.  

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#138Tall people blocking view in theatre
Posted: 6/28/16 at 11:57pm

AHLiebross said: "I can accept time travel, but smiling when sitting behind Christopher Reeve? Never! Tall people blocking view in theatre"

The last time I saw a Broadway show (Avenue Q), I was lucky enough to have Christopher Reeve and his wife seated next to me (he, in his wheelchair, in the aisle, and she next to me). They were so very kind and gracious after the show when I asked if they would allow me to take their picture. Could not have been sweeter! (I see the emoticon, and know your comment was in jest, but it brought back a very fond memory!)