BLACKBIRD Previews

neonlightsxo
#100BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/23/16 at 10:43am

The title of the film? No.

nasty_khakis
#101BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/1/16 at 12:45pm

I've heard Jeff Daniels mention a wordless scene in the UK premiere the director added and the playwright was not fond of. He said it "explained too much" but didn't explain what that was. Can anybody talk about that scene? Since the writer didn't approve and it's not in the script it's clearly not part of the piece, but I'm still curious.

mamaleh
#102BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/3/16 at 7:49am

Saw the play last night via rush.  Front row center is not ideal for this show, but I missed only maybe a minute or two of facial expressions because of chair placement. Otherwise, it was exhilarating to be so close to all the intense action--and interesting to have a crushed fast-food container land on my lap.

Question for those who have seen it:  A few times Michelle Williams coughs and then reaches for water or a tissue.  Is that in the script?  Or is she perhaps fighting a cold?  Actually, Jeff Daniels had a raspy throat at times.  I could see that, as it was the second show on a two-show day. 

I'd never seen a performance of the play and was enthralled from start to finish.  Fantastic performances.

Updated On: 3/3/16 at 07:49 AM

C4b2a3b
#103BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/3/16 at 11:51am

mamaleh said: "Saw the play last night via rush.  Front row center is not ideal for this show, but I missed only maybe a minute or two of facial expressions because of chair placement. Otherwise, it was exhilarating to be so close to all the intense action--and interesting to have a crushed fast-food container land on my lap.

Question for those who have seen it:  A few times Michelle Williams coughs and then reaches for water or a tissue.  Is that in the script?  Or is she perhaps fighting a cold?  Actually, Jeff Daniels had a raspy throat at times.  I could see that, as it was the second show on a two-show day. 

I'd never seen a performance of the play and was enthralled from start to finish.  Fantastic performances.

"

Do you think you'd miss the same details in the second row center orchestra? These are non-premium seats on Telecharge, and I almost bought a pair of tickets yesterday. 

#104BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/3/16 at 2:34pm

Unfortunately, this production was a big miss for me. And I have to say, I think there is blame to share amongst much of the creative team involved.

First, I admit, I am not familiar with Mr. David Harrower's work, but I am very surprised this play was given a second production.  Besides the mysterious first few minutes  (before you know what Una and and Ray's relationship is), the rest of the play is a stagnant, he said/she said account of a sexual encounter that I just don't think the audience cares about.  That was certainly the case when I saw the show yesterday.  There was almost nothing to endear us to these insufferable characters.  I think it would have worked much better if we would have actually been at the encounter between Ray and Una all those years ago...without ruining the the reveal, that would have been so much more dramatic and fascinating to me.  The dialogue is also written in a rambling style that makes you wonder if Jeff and Michelle were even getting the lines right or ad libbing most of it.

Although I have immense respect for director Joe Mantello (his work on The Humans this year is really inspired) I think he got lost in Harrower's dialogue and couldn't figure out how to make it active.  Jeff and Michelle are literally sitting in a conference room telling their own sides of the story, but in a way that makes it seem like they are performing monologues through most of it...like the other person in the room doesn't matter.  This is one of the biggest problems in my opinion....they show doesn't move forward actively once the reveal is known.

Also, and again let me preface, I'm a Michelle Williams fan. I think her work in films like Brokeback Mountain and My Week with Marilyn is stellar; she has the ability to break your heart with one look.  But here, she plays Una with such a melodramatic flair it's hard to find an ounce of truth in the performance.  She's chosen a very specific voice as well, one that polarizes her from the audience.  Again, with the reveal in this play, I think you have to somehow relate to her...without Una's truth, there just isn't much you grab onto in her character.  Jeff fairs better here taking a very common man approach to Ray, but the dialogue and direction is not helping him in the slightest.

The set by Scott Pask and the lighting by Brian MacDevitt are subtle and effective...just what they need to be.

Bottom line: I just question what the experience is, or what is the message we supposed to walk away with.  This story is not told in a compelling way.  I do, however,  give Jeff and Michelle kudos for coming to Broadway with a new play (yes it's had an early incarnation, but short lived and not on bway) and using their celebrity to promote a new name in play writing.  More celebrities should take their cues from these two instead of only coming in with a Williams or a Miller we've seen dozens of times.

mamaleh
#105BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/3/16 at 4:45pm

"Do you think you'd miss the same details in the second row center orchestra? These are non-premium seats on Telecharge, and I almost bought a pair of tickets yesterday."

I have a feeling the same few details would likely be at least partially blocked, but it's not for very long.  Still, it's more worth seeing it from that perspective at, say, rush price than regular Telecharge. prices.

bfreak
#106BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/3/16 at 4:51pm

I know this sounds repetitive, but how about fourth row center? That sounds about right, but I'm curious. They have them for a discount code.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#107BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/3/16 at 10:23pm

Fourth row center would be wonderful. 

And Williams' runny nose and water were a character choice she seemingly pulled from the script. 

mamaleh
#108BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/4/16 at 12:52am

Ah, thanks.  I was curious.

Owen22
#109BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/5/16 at 12:29am

Michelle Williams is giving one of the worst professional performances on a stage that I've seen in a long time. And I really enjoyed her in Cabaret.

Jeff Daniels, however, is SOOO fine in the role. Absolutely terrific. Especially playing against whatever it is that Michelle, poor thing, is doing.

ChiTheaterFan
#110BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/5/16 at 1:08am

I sat in row B dead center. I believe that's the 4th row but it may have been the 5th. The view was excellent but I would have missed a few things had I sat closer. Where I was I was able to see everything. 

C4b2a3b
#111BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/5/16 at 1:51am

How's the view from the first row mezzanine for Blackbird? That's a non-premium seat. I'm always tempted to buy a seat too close in the orchestra rather than front row mezzanine for plays. 

orlikethecolorpurple
#112BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/10/16 at 10:25pm

Sorry to ask yet another seating question, but if someone would indulge me, I'd really appreciate it. 

I feel like being close is essential for this show. The only close seats available for the date I'm able to attend are in the front row, left and right sections (which are only two seats each). Would one side be preferential to the other? 

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#113BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/10/16 at 10:33pm

orlikethecolorpurple said: "Sorry to ask yet another seating question, but if someone would indulge me, I'd really appreciate it. 

I feel like being close is essential for this show. The only close seats available for the date I'm able to attend are in the front row, left and right sections (which are only two seats each). Would one side be preferential to the other? 

"

RIGHT

orlikethecolorpurple
#114BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 3/10/16 at 10:55pm

thank you!

Videos