pixeltracker

Sondheim Best Cast Recordings- Page 2

Sondheim Best Cast Recordings

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#25Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/1/16 at 12:51am

Actually in their rush the orchestra has a few bum notes and Mary's mic has a tiny bit of feedback during her solo on Now You Know ??. But I get what ya mean 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#26Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/1/16 at 1:27am

I adore the encores cast recording of Merrily but I hate the tuba or whatever instrument that is that plays the "Good Thing Going" tune in the Overture. Also they left off the new dance music in "Gussie's Opening Number." Small blemishes on a nearly perfect cast album.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#27Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/1/16 at 1:40am

Although not listed, I agree that the Encores Merrily is the one to get (and one I listen to quite often, when I want a song that goes bum bum..)

I prefer the Roundabout revival of Assassins (NPH, Michael Cerveris) to the original, but their revival of Pacific Overtures was a travesty (OBCR all the way!)

...also, since ultimately I get just about all of 'em - I really love the Judi Dench Night Music and the Imelda Staunton Sweeney. ...and although I'm not a fan of the London changes to Follies, I'm a sucker for Diana Rigg in anything since I first saw her in a leather catsuit as Emma Peel on B&W TV at the age of 12.

Updated On: 3/1/16 at 01:40 AM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#28Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/1/16 at 1:52am

MarkBearSF said: "

I prefer the Roundabout revival of Assassins (NPH, Michael Cerveris) to the original,

"

Despite my endless list of secondary recordings I love, I still think all of the OBCRs are the first go to discs.

But I see your NPH and Michael Cerveris and raise you the superior original Patrick Cassidy and Victor Garber Sondheim Best Cast Recordings

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#29Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/1/16 at 2:47am

The revival recording of Assassins disappointed me because it didn't include the final scene. The original cast recorded that whole 12 minute or so scene leading up to the assasination and it's breathtaking!

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#30Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/1/16 at 5:50am

Another vote for all of the originals (especially Company, Merrily, Pacific Overtures and Sweeney Todd)

Other votes also for the London recordings of Into the Woods and A Little Night Music. And Someone in a Tree on the London recording of Pacific Overtures. 

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#31Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/1/16 at 7:05am

I agree with many comments here but I do enjoy the recent revival of Sunday in the Park- for the performances rather than the orchestrations.  That production made me cry like a baby.

I used to have a recording of the National Theatre Sunday, starring Maria Friedman and Philip Quast.  It was magnificent.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#32Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/1/16 at 10:42am

I love the original MERRILY recording as well...but honestly had I not listened to the Encores full recording first I'm not sure I would've followed the plot terribly well. A great way to introduce yourself to the show IMO.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

broadwaysfguy
#33Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/2/16 at 2:05pm

great feedback....just ordered the London version of A little Night Music with with judi dench!

ally.wilson
#34Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/28/16 at 11:32am

Hi Into the Woods fans - I wanted to share some exciting news about Pamela Winslow Kashani (the original Rapunzel) from Into the Woods performing a cabaret show at 54 Below April 7th! 

Love & Sax

54 Below 

Thursday April 7th 

Show: 9:30 PM Doors 8:45 PM

Tickets: Visit http://bit.ly/25nQuIN to get your tickets today!

Broadway veteran PAMELA WINSLOW KASHANI brings her cabaret show LOVE AND SAX to the legendary FEINSTEIN’S/54 BELOW. The show mingles WINSLOW KASHANI’s dulcet tonesand the sweet sax styling of JERRY MANDEL, exploring love in all its forms, from its wide-eyed beginnings through its foibles and struggles to its joyful conclusions, highlighting the Great American Songbook and beyond.

ally.wilson
#35Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/28/16 at 11:32am

Hi Into the Woods fans - I wanted to share some exciting news about Pamela Winslow Kashani (the original Rapunzel) from Into the Woods performing a cabaret show at 54 Below April 7th! 

Love & Sax

54 Below 

Thursday April 7th 

Show: 9:30 PM Doors 8:45 PM

Tickets: Visit http://bit.ly/25nQuIN to get your tickets today!

Broadway veteran PAMELA WINSLOW KASHANI brings her cabaret show LOVE AND SAX to the legendary FEINSTEIN’S/54 BELOW. The show mingles WINSLOW KASHANI’s dulcet tonesand the sweet sax styling of JERRY MANDEL, exploring love in all its forms, from its wide-eyed beginnings through its foibles and struggles to its joyful conclusions, highlighting the Great American Songbook and beyond.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#36Sondheim Best Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/28/16 at 11:37am

Columbia Stereo OS 3550

Google it!

Videos