pixeltracker

Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?- Page 2

Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#25Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 8:36am

Margo319 said: "They've moved on to other projects and other work in other cities.  Also, other people have contracts and have taken over their parts.  So yeah.....I doubt it will work."

Yeah, that would clearly trump them wanting to be in the performance of Hamilton that they created when it gets captured for history.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#26Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 11:06am

haterobics said: "Margo319 said: "They've moved on to other projects and other work in other cities.  Also, other people have contracts and have taken over their parts.  So yeah.....I doubt it will work."

Yeah, that would clearly trump them wanting to be in the performance of Hamilton that they created when it gets captured for history.
"

When they filmed Sweeney Todd for PBS, it was with George Hearn as Sweeney, not Len Cariou who originated the part.  Chris Groehendahl was Antony also, instead of Victor Garber who also originated his part.   I'm sure both actors would have loved to reprise their roles but it didn't happen.

Margo319
#27Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 1:30pm

Yep, sometimes it doesn't happen.  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 2:53pm

OK....here's a question for you.  WHY would the producer's do this?   Honestly, what is their benefit.  (Making you happy, is not a benefit to them.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#30Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 9:11pm

He'd like to make it into a film "at some point"? That's quite the breaking news.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#31Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 9:25pm

dramamama611 said: "OK....here's a question for you.  WHY would the producer's do this?   Honestly, what is their benefit.  (Making you happy, is not a benefit to them.)"

To make money.  Imagine a sold out theater - and then imagine DOZENS of sold-out movie theaters, all over the country (world?) for the SAME PERFORMANCE.   Such a thing would multiply the box office times ten. Or twenty. Or a hundred! 

And these same people will still want to see the show in person.  It won't affect the box office one iota.

dramamama611
#32Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/19/16 at 9:38pm

We were talking about television. 

And no, many people would not still feel the need to see it again, but at the theater.  Many would, but since it wont translate well as simply a live feed, many will scratch their heads and wonder what the big deal is.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#33Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/20/16 at 8:14am

dramamama611 said: "We were talking about television. 

And no, many people would not still feel the need to see it again, but at the theater.  Many would, but since it wont translate well as simply a live feed, many will scratch their heads and wonder what the big deal is.
"

Well, I imagine if it was a TV broadcast, that they would find a way to schedule commercial breaks and I'm sure advertisers would be willing to pay a lot of money to get in on something like this.  Advertising is the only way any TV show makes money. 

The thing about the 'seeing it in a theater' argument is, most people around the country and the world will never have the opportunity to see Hamilton in the theater.  They live too far away, or they don't have the money, to go to New York or even see a touring company.  Hamilton is sold out until  next year, and when the next block of tickets go on sale I'm sure we'll be changing that to "It's sold out until 2018."  So honestly I don't think a TV or movie theater broadcast is going to hurt its ticket sales.

dramamama611
#34Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/20/16 at 8:45am

If they ever film for release (as opposed to archival purposes) it will be years from now...or least once the fervor dies down.

Think of all the people that still haven't seen Wicked or Book of Mormon because there is no film of it yet.

Seeing Hamilton is not a right or even a key to lifelong happiness or sucess.

JM226
#35Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/20/16 at 9:41am

the closest thing to reality would be a taped performance that subsequently aired as PPV or a "rental" on a channel like HBO. similar to what Passing Strange did.  and that's probably years away.

the argument that a filmed broadcast wouldn't hurt ticket sales is just inaccurate. it absolutely, 100% would because ... ya know... people can, like, RECORD what they watch. so then you basically have unauthorized bootlegs of a high-quality, highly-produced filmed version just floating around.  

Moonlightmoonshiner
#36Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/21/16 at 6:43am

Do you think that National Theater Live might telecast it? They already live streamed of Mice and Men to theaters awhile ago.

aaaaaa15
#37Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/21/16 at 11:03am

I think people are fooling themselves if they think it's going to happen any time soon. Shows that get filmed and shown quickly are those that have limited runs (eg. with the National Theatre). 

People might still want to see the show live after seeing a filmed broadcast, yes, but are they going to want to pay $600 for a premium seat? No. Immediately then the 'I must see this' demand goes down, as do the prices. Why would producers want that in the first few years of this show when it is unbeatable?

Look at other long runners

Rent starts on Broadway 1996. Film adaptation 2005. Filmed on Broadway 2008.

Phantom starts late 1986. Film adaptation 2004. Filmed in West End 2011.

If anything we're likely to get a film adaptation first and then the show itself might be filmed either when it closes or if it becomes a real long-runner on an anniversary.

A huge part of the power of Hamilton is the 'I can't get a ticket' aspect. If tickets were $10 and unlimited, all of that talk would immediately dissipate. People are willing to pay high prices to say that they've seen it.

Everytime Lin has been asked about this he has remained vague. A large proportion of the cast is leaving in 3 months. Think we just need to be realistic.

Updated On: 4/21/16 at 11:03 AM

JM226
#38Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/21/16 at 1:42pm

the concept of being "realistic" isn't really known on this message board... 

dramamama611
#39Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/21/16 at 1:54pm

^Lol....wouldn't want that pesky realism to get in the way of their NEED to see it because they WANT to.

MoDance0934 Profile Photo
MoDance0934
#40Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/21/16 at 1:56pm

JM226 said: "the closest thing to reality would be a taped performance that subsequently aired as PPV or a "rental" on a channel like HBO. similar to what Passing Strange did.  and that's probably years away.

the argument that a filmed broadcast wouldn't hurt ticket sales is just inaccurate. it absolutely, 100% would because ... ya know... people can, like, RECORD what they watch. so then you basically have unauthorized bootlegs of a high-quality, highly-produced filmed version just floating around.  

That is where you're wrong - The producers would be marketing the broadcast to those who have not seen it, and to the super fans. Basically everyone in the US (that's just a generalization that may or may not be accurate). It would actually motivate viewers to go to the theater and get the actual experience of seeing the show live. And you cannot record whatever you buy "on demand". Impossible. 

JM226
#41Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/21/16 at 2:32pm

Impossible? Not impossible at all. Have you ever heard of "jail breaking"?

And I'm not wrong... it's simple economics. Increase exposure and access, demand drops significantly. That's not some theory or hypothesis. It's a fact. It's business 101. please, give me a break with all this nonsense.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#42Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/21/16 at 3:41pm

dramamama611 said: "If they ever film for release (as opposed to archival purposes) it will be years from now...or least once the fervor dies down."

Part of me wonders why Lin-Manuel even said that stuff about wanting to film the original cast. To deter bootleggers perhaps? he shouldn't have mentioned it.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

aaaaaa15
#43Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/21/16 at 3:56pm

This article

http://europe.newsweek.com/hamilton-biggest-thing-broadway-being-taught-classrooms-all-over-424212

says

'There are no plans to film the current cast, Miranda says, contrary to a widely spread misquote.'

My best bet is that he was talking about the archival filming for the New York Public Library.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#44Could Hamilton be streamed live on TV?
Posted: 4/21/16 at 8:00pm

Getting the clearance from all the unions etc would not happen. For the same reason, Broadway shows are not usually taped or filmed for DVD with a few exceptions hinging on the house, the union rules, etc. 

"Life is a lesson in humility"