pixeltracker

The Gospel According To Scott Rudin- Page 3

The Gospel According To Scott Rudin

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#50The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 10:29am

Is the threshold for being "bullied" that low these days?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#51The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 10:32am

Theater3232 said: "Perhaps someone willkeep coughing and coughing and disturbing the show, and may need to scream out "someone bring me water; my water was confiscated at the door". Perhaps then the usher can run to get the person water in the middle of the show. People need to stand up for themselves when they are being bullied."

Or discover the miracle that is cough drops.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#52The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 10:43am

I remember getting a water at Dolly, though.
Is the problem here bringing in a water or just water bottles in general?
I just don’t see a problem with having a water bottle at a show. It’s just water....

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

HarveNYC
#53The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:15pm

Presumably, there was nothing wrong with the fountain, except that my wife and I were seated in the mezzanine and the fountain was “in the lobby“
And since the only vessel I had brought with me was confiscated at the door, and since I didn’t want to drag my wife down a flight of stairs and couldn’t bring up a handful of water for her, The fact that it was in the lobby and we were not actually was the problem.

HarveNYC
#54The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:32pm

Supposedly the issue is that if you squeeze say a Plastic Poland Spring Bottle, that it makes a Crackling sound, like that of Gravel Hitting your Windshield on the Highway, but nobody is informed ahead of time and nothing is done to provide any assistance once they take your water, not even providing a paper cup of water without forking over $$$, which makes me wonder if their true motive is a financial one.

Updated On: 2/15/18 at 12:32 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#55The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:33pm

Didn't you say you guys were at the end of Act 1 anyway? I don't know why you're making a federal case out of this. And again, the "confiscation" (quite a dramatic term, but okay) of the water bottle isn't anything new...

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#56The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:34pm

"...I didn’t want to drag my wife down a flight of stairs..."

Why did you purchase mezzanine seats if your poor wife has difficulty with stairs? I think that seems awfully inconsiderate of you.

HarveNYC
#57The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:39pm

If someone takes your property and will not return it, and you're given no option but to give it up, what term would you use, but for confiscation?, since you find mine so dramatic?
And yes, my wife is in the middle of the aisle, coughing, and i want to help .. so I'm making a federal case out of it?  I was willing to go downstairs, but I'm in my late 50s and she's more than a decade my senior, so if it I'm making it sound like it would have been more than a slight burden, it's because it would have been considerably more.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#58The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:44pm

Perhaps the water looked a bit... suspicious - are you sure that it was absolutely and perfectly clear?

HarveNYC
#59The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:49pm

It was Water, not a Cosmopolitan or a Kale Smoothie

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#60The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:49pm

sorry Harve but when you sign up today, revive a long dead thread (for which you obviously searched) and then insist you are entitled to treat a theatre like a baseball game, you are not likely to end up with a sympathetic audience. As others have said, a lot of us like any effort to reduce opportunities for distraction in the theatre, and some of us even remember when the only bottled water came in five gallon containers. As to confiscation, (a) have you ever flown or gone to a concert before? and (b) it was not confiscated; you just can't bring it into someone else's temple. P.S. Does anyone know what Mr. Roxy's first name is?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#61The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:55pm

If it wasn't the water, perhaps it was the bottle - is it possible that the theatre staff thought the bottle looked suspicious, like a subtle IED?

HarveNYC
#62The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:55pm

Have I flown? Yes. They still allow me to bring an empty bottle and refill it prior to boarding.
Have I been to a Concert? Yes, yes I have, but not since David Bowie's Death.
And you're supposedly contending that it wasn't confiscated because I had the option of throwing my tickets away instead is a bit much ..
Plus if we're splitting hairs over definitions, the thread wasn't so much Dead as it was Dormant.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#63The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:22pm

HarveNYC said: "And you're supposedly contending that it wasn't confiscated because I had the option of throwing my tickets away instead is a bit much .."

The one time I got caught smuggling in a beverage, as opposed to every other time when I got it in, I just pulled out of line and drank it... so you only have to have it "confiscated" if you want to proceed into the theater at that second.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#64The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:25pm

I always thought water was allowed, but yeah, I've smuggled in plenty of drinks to shows. Especially in the winter with bulky jackets, etc. 

But I mean, I can see his reasoning. 

HarveNYC
#65The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:36pm

Look, I'm not saying I want things to be a Free-for-All, far from it, in  fact, I think when the moron in front of me is told for the Fourth Time to stop trying to Sneak Videos of the Performance, that they should be made to leave and not just a flashlight in their eyes.  I think when i hear the same phone ring ringing repeatedly, that minimally, the phone should be held for safe keeping for the duration, but when it's something that's frankly Normal Behavior, that the public should be informed ahead of time, like the TSA does, and not just to tell you that you've breached some sort of unpublished rule once you've already arrived, but I guess I'm the only one who thinks so.

Updated On: 2/15/18 at 01:36 PM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#66The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:43pm

I certainly would find it distracting if the person next to me was gulping water from a bottle which they then noisily squeezed and squeaked. It's easy to say "Oh, I would drink quietly, and never squeeze the bottle," but who can guarantee that?

However, the too-common attitude among our soft, entitled nation seems to be "Rules are for other people, not me. My needs and desires supersede all rules."

Updated On: 2/15/18 at 01:43 PM

HarveNYC
#67The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:46pm

All I said was that I would like to be told what the rules are prior to telling me I had broken them.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#68The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:48pm

Like if the Shubert Theater had a website (http://shubert.nyc/theatres/shubert/) that said "No outside food or beverage permitted."?

Or if the PDF of the tickets you get has "No outside food or beverages permitted." written toward the bottom?

Those both say it.

There is also an e-mail they send out a few days before the show advising you of their policies on latecomers not being seated, etc., that also mentioned food and beverage, but I can't find any of those.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#69The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:51pm

Do you think it would be beneficial for Telecharge to read you a list of permitted and denied things you may bring into a theatre, when you buy tickets? Or perhaps an enormous mural, listing these things, should be painted on the outer lobby wall?

HarveNYC
#70The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:00pm

I didn't purchase the tickets from Telecharge, I don't get an e-mail from anyone, I just go and buy my tickets.
Though you're talking like I'm trying to bring my Emotional Support Giraffe, it's just water.
Water is one of the things required for life... it's not gunpowder, it's not a caged fruit-bat, just water.
but it seems I'm beating my head against a wall, if the theater had no oxygen in it, and I said I couldn't breathe, you'd call me entitled point out how nowhere does it say oxygen would be provided, so never mind.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#71The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:04pm

That's a simply perfect False Equivalence!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#72The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:10pm

Oh, and you said in your first post "...the security guard said we could not enter the theater with a water bottle, though it doesn't appear to say so on their website?" But it does say on the Shubert Theatre's website (the link to which is considerately provided for you above by haterobics) - "No outside food or beverages permitted."

So you were informed in advance. And water is provided in the theatre (admittedly, they don't bring it to your seat in a golden chalice borne upon a velvet pillow). So I'm not sure what you're still kickin' about... except maybe that "rules are for other people" thing I mentioned.

Updated On: 2/15/18 at 02:10 PM

HarveNYC
#73The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:17pm

Well, in fact the guard said water was ok, not not the bottle.
So, if I were to have had an empty bottle, he'd have still taken it.
He actually said "if it were in a gym-cup it would be ok"
So, it was seemingly NOT a "Food" or "Beverage" Issue, it was a "Plastic Bottle" Issue, so I stand by my statement that I was Uninformed.

Fosse76
#74The Gospel Accoring To Scott Rudin
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:20pm

There is no law in New York that requires a place of business to provide free water. There is no law in New York that requires business to allow customers to bring into the business their own water. Scott Rudin finds the crinkling of water bottles, and the shaking of cups of ice to be unnecessary noise distractions. He finds people arriving late or otherwise disturbing people already seated to also be unnecessary distractions, so he restricts seating after the start of the performance. While it may be inconvenient, I personally don't find anything remotely wrong with these policies.

And before I forget, the Shubert Theatre has water fountains on every level (box office lobby on the ground floor/orchestra level, and next to the women's restrooms on the mezzanine and balcony levels). So there would be no reason to schlep "down" to anywhere to get water from a water fountain.

Videos