ANASTASIA in CT

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#100ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 5/31/16 at 4:35pm

Mixed-to-positive: http://www.courant.com/entertainment/arts-theater/hc-review-anastasia-hartford-stage-20160531-story.html

Enthusiastic praise across the board for the cast, but less enthusiastic about the story itself. Perhaps it's just my reading of the review, but it doesn't seem to quite know what it wants: it likes the more down-to-earth style, but then says the show lacks "magic"? Still, positive for the cast, score, and direction.

neonlightsxo
#101ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 5/31/16 at 4:45pm

That review is all over the place. I wonder if that person regularly reviews theater?

neonlightsxo
#102ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 5/31/16 at 4:45pm

double post

Updated On: 5/31/16 at 04:45 PM

DaveyG
#103ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/1/16 at 12:40am

The Courant reads more of a solid mixed than mixed/positive to me. Curious if the NY Times will make it to Hartford to weigh in.

neonlightsxo
#104ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/1/16 at 9:34am

The NYT doesn't usually review shows that have announced they are coming in to Broadway already.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#105ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/1/16 at 1:43pm

Talkin' Broadway is a lot of description, but the review portion is positive and does repeat some recurring themes in other reviews: beautiful production and praise for Altomare and Klena. Also singles out "Paris Holds The Key To Your Heart" as the showstopper of the night.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/page/regional/ct/ct396.html

Updated On: 6/1/16 at 01:43 PM

thinton
#106ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/3/16 at 5:57pm

"Anastasia" ranks as one of my very favorite theatre-going experiences.  The material itself is now one of my favorite musicals, and the production is one of my favorites I have seen (and I've seen a lot).  I loved the more mature historical angle of the book, and the score was gorgeous.  My favorite song was "My Petersburg."  It is absolutely perfect for the character and moment, and I still hear the wonderful tune in my head.  I really hope it stays in the show on Broadway.  I can't wait for a cast album for this song and all the others.  I also loved "Crowd of Thousands," "In My Dreams," and "Crossing a Bridge."  

There are just a few things I would change to make the show even better.  There is a huge section of Act II in which Anya and Dmitry don't appear, and their presence is missed, as the heart and soul of the show is Anya's journey.  I would recommend either moving "Crossing a Bridge" later or "A Crowd of Thousands" earlier to help shorten the gap.  The "Dance of the Romanovs" also felt lacking dramatically and would be significantly helped if lyrics were added and if there was a physical presence of soldiers attacking the palace at the end of it.  I would also recommend adding a bit more love-hate banter between Anya and Dmitry.  Some of the "will they-won't they" suspense that's so delightful in the 1997 film is missing.  

The performances were wonderful.  I thought Derek Klena was perfection as Dmitry, and I also loved Christy Altomare and Mary Beth Peil in their roles.  Hopefully they will be able to transfer with the show to Broadway.

The set and projections were mesmerizing.  They worked together wonderfully with a perfect balance between physical set and projected images.  The lighting also complemented them beautifully.  And the costumes were also gorgeous.  I traveled across the country just to see the show, and it was worth every mile and every penny.  I'm so glad that it will be moving on to Broadway.  Everyone involved deserves it! 

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#107ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/3/16 at 9:35pm

Thanks for sharing @thinton! I must say, I am truly loving hearing what everyone is saying about this show, and the 90s girl in me is beyond thrilled to hear that the show seems to do justice to the movie I remember so fondly :)

Another mostly positive review, this one from the Examiner. Continuing the praise for Altomare, Klena, Peil, the direction, and the score, and has quibbles with the strength of Act 1 and Gleb being a weak antagonist. http://www.examiner.com/review/anastasia-charms-austere-premiere-at-hartford-stage

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#108ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/4/16 at 7:22am

Yeah, I am so relieved and thrilled that this show is getting such great reviews! I've been dreaming about this since high school and I can NOT wait to see this in 10 days!

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#109ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/4/16 at 11:43am

Article in American Theatre about the production: http://www.americantheatre.org/2016/06/03/anastasia-all-grown-up-with-somewhere-to-go/

Mentions that the show is reportedly slated for a spring opening on Broadway, if all goes to plan!

Updated On: 6/4/16 at 11:43 AM

TigerBait88 Profile Photo
TigerBait88
#110ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/4/16 at 1:43pm

bwayrose7 said: "Article in American Theatre about the production: http://www.americantheatre.org/2016/06/03/anastasia-all-grown-up-with-somewhere-to-go/

Mentions that the show is reportedly slated for a spring opening on Broadway, if all goes to plan!

"

Noooooooo I need it sooner! I'm coming in January and was hoping it'd open by December. Oh well...we'll see. Still so excited for my trip!

Krissy2
#111ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/5/16 at 5:08pm

I thought it was absolutely fantastic and beautiful.  I haven't seen the animated version in many years so I don't remember it too well to compare.  I know this stage version was only inspired by the movie but not 100% based off of it which I can appreciate.  They had more time to share real facts and emotions of the time and from what I understand less of the fantasy of the movie.  Beautiful set and costumes and well acted.

gray_area
#112ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/7/16 at 7:38pm

Hi,

I have an extra ticket for Anastasia for the Saturday (June 11) matinee at 2pm. It's a floor seat (not sure how the view is since I've never been to the theater). If anyone's interested, please send PM me. Thank you.

disneybroadwayfan22
#113ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/13/16 at 4:24pm

I'm going to see this tomorrow! Can't wait! I'll post my review mid-Wednesday or early Thursday.

disneybroadwayfan22
#114ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/15/16 at 7:55am

This was absolutely magnificent. Truly beautiful and special and worth the wait. 

However, this has one serious problem, which I will talk about in the end.

The set is amazing. It is just a building like you see on the website. But, they do so much with it: Making it neighborhoods, interiors, maps, nature etc. It does stick out like a sore thumb during some of the outdoor scenes, but they try so much to make the best out of it. The costumes are incredible and they all sparkle in unique ways. My favorite is the Romanov dresses, Paris Hold the Key to your Heart, and the ballet dresses.

The direction and the cherography are divine. The train scene was beautiful and it was so well done. Once Upon a December was absolutely legendary and had almost moved me to tears. Paris Hold the Key to your Heart, Learn to Do It, the ballet scenes, Land of Yesterday, the opening, the Grandma/Anastasia scene (love how there is a wink to the movie before Grandma's song), the climax with Gleb, and the finale are my favorite scenes. The new songs are gorgeous. However, Crossing the Bridge needs serious fixing and make it about her family. The song is just about how Paris is beautiful and the bridge itself. I love Land of Yesterday, but it should go as well because it leads to nothing.

The acting was special and the actors were perfect. No stand outs because they were all equally phenomenal. Derek Klena showcases his singing voice while giving out a compassionate and passionate Dimitri. Without giving anything away, his scene with the Empress was so intense and he gave me goosebumps everywhere. Mary Beth Peil is on her way for a Tony. The Empress is very different from the movie as the massacre changes her. And god, she is heartbreaking  and brings out the agony and bitterness in the Empress in a powerful and sympathetic  way. Her song was moving. John Bolton is on his way to a Tony as well. He is spot on as Vlad and he is simply fun and joyful to watch. He gives Vlad a extremely warm and kind touch that is stronger than the movie. His "I Shouldn't Let Him Dance" nearly moved me to tears. Caroline O'Connor was fiery as Lily/Sophie. She is loyal and obedient as the lady-in-waiting, but she shines in Land of Yesterday. John and Caroline are EXCELLENT together and their song was hilarious and extremely show stopping. Lastly and most importantly, Chrissy. Absolutely phenomenal. She is truly bringing out a special performance. She uses the PTSD element of the story to her full advantage and when she brings it out, she is heartbreaking and believable as Anastasia. She also connects it to a timid and shy attitude that truly makes Anastasia a victim. Her singing voice is incredible and soaring. Her Journey to the Past is 100% PERFECT and there is no other words to describe it, but moving and incredible. She hits all of the notes and truly makes the song her own. A star has been born. Additionally, we all met the cast and they were all class acts. John and Chrissy are sweethearts. Esepecially Chrissy who was adorable and so bubbly!

Before I say the serious flaw, let me just say that Gleb needs serious fixing. He is a complex character with true potential, but he is hardly in the show at all. He needs a hell lot more stage time and development to make him work. Make him more like Frollo and Javier and he should be good. 

The huge problem I had the show: Anastasia herself. I have gigantic conflicting feelings with her. They did a wonderful job, recreating Anastasia and making her realistic as a victim of a traumatic past. Like I said, she is timid and shy and very sensitive and can be triggered easily. However, despite of this, she is nothing like the animated movie. I don't know if the book, Chrissy, or the direction. But, like a professional review said, the show is missing out the snappiness, sarcasm, and the fun of the character. If you are going to do a movie/musical adaption, you need to make the lead as like the movie as possible. In other words, this Anastasia is way too different from the movie and it honestly nearly ruined the show for me. It was extremely distracting in Act One, but it worked in Act Two where the character needed to be weak and nervous. Is it horrible? Absolutely not. Like I said, I loved the new Anya and I love what they were attempting to do here. But, on the other hand, it is weird to change the character when her personality makes her what she is. The good news is that this is easily fixable if Chrissy gives out more spunk in her performance. The same thing can be said with Dimitri as well. 

This show is definitely ready for Broadway. I am so happy that this was finally made into a musical and the product is excellent. It just need changes to Gleb and Anastasia and that's it. I recommend it to everyone, but please don't expect the movie.  

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#115ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/15/16 at 10:15am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I don't know if the book, Chrissy, or the direction."

I think it's a mix of the three, but mostly the book. Totally agree with your criticism. 

I feel like I'm going crazy here. Am I really the only person who found the LED screens to be nauseatingly hideous and entirely the wrong choice for this show? People have complained about gratuitous projections in many other shows, like Doctor Zhivago, for example, and to me this production is an even worse offender than shows like Zhivago when it comes to projections/LEDs. 

disneybroadwayfan22
#116ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/15/16 at 11:07am

^I actually loved the LED Screens. One of them did hurt my eyes, but they were excellent and realistic 

playbill-love
#117ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/15/16 at 11:52am

I liked the LED screens sometimes, like in the scene with all the pink flowering trees or when they showed the plaza in St. Petersburg before and after Dmitry's big song. They were really intricate and layered during those parts. I thought they were flat, tacky/cheap, and distracting in other parts, like the act 2 opener or when they're using them to try to show explosions etc. before the assassination.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#118ANASTASIA in CT
Posted: 6/17/16 at 10:56pm

ANASTASIA taking the Broadhurst after The Front Page

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George