pixeltracker

Cast recordings that should be on iTunes

Cast recordings that should be on iTunes

BroadMagTech
#1Cast recordings that should be on iTunes
Posted: 5/13/16 at 6:02pm

What are some cast albums that are not on iTunes that should be?

Drewski Vanderbilt Profile Photo
Drewski Vanderbilt
#2Cast recordings that should be on iTunes
Posted: 5/14/16 at 12:35am

I know for the longest time there was no actual Miss Saigon Recording on ITunes, then all the fake versions kept wasting people's money so they put the original London, the symphonic,and the 2014 revival (which is the entire show).

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3Cast recordings that should be on iTunes
Posted: 5/14/16 at 12:41am

The 1994 Broadway revival cast recording. It's on YouTube, but not iTunes.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

¿Macavity?
#4Cast recordings that should be on iTunes
Posted: 5/14/16 at 1:15am

Several OLCR aren't available in the US's iTiunes Store, but are available in the UK's iTunes Store. Like Sweeney Todd's 2012 LCR. I'm not sure if the 2006 LCR of Cabaret was released on iTunes in the UK, but I know that it exists in CD form.

threetwoone Profile Photo
threetwoone
#5Cast recordings that should be on iTunes
Posted: 5/14/16 at 8:25am

I went on a few days ago to buy a recording of Sunset Boulevard and there wasn't a single official cast recording of the show on the Canadian iTunes Store. Not sure if it's any different on the US store...

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#6Cast recordings that should be on iTunes
Posted: 5/14/16 at 9:12am

The Spitfire Grill is my first choice.

I feel like I must be missing some important element regarding why, in the digital age, more recordings that might be considered "rare" aren't available.

I mean, I could understand it when recorded music was dependent on a physical medium for sales/dispersal. There was a cost factor involved in manufacturing physical discs, printing, and packaging. If an album didn't sell, it would be cost prohibitive to keep manufacturing the album.

As far as I can tell, that isn't true for digital albums. Once an album is created in digital format, there are no additional costs involved as far as reproduction is concerned. Technically, there is no "reproduction", just multiple downloads of the original file. Digital music does not degrade like a master tape, neither does the digital artwork/text associated with the album.

I'm guessing that there must be a stumbling block regarding 'rights' or copyright. Still, whatever those costs are, I would think they must have already been factored into the consumer's cost of the download...?

In my experience, iTunes isn't the best source for buying OC albums. The available catalog is extremely limited, and they don't even care enough to have created a proper Category, like all good record stores used to. (Lumping the limited selections into the 'Soundtracks' category is just insulting.) frown

Drewski Vanderbilt Profile Photo
Drewski Vanderbilt
#7Cast recordings that should be on iTunes
Posted: 5/14/16 at 11:35am

Oh also the OBC recording of Crazy For You is not on ITunes but the LCR is

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8Cast recordings that should be on iTunes
Posted: 5/14/16 at 11:38am

I second Spitfire Grill. Been looking for that for a while.