pixeltracker

Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?

Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?

NiceWork2
#1Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/13/16 at 12:40pm

I was just wondering if anybody had any insight to whether the Book of Mormon changed/altered their Orlando lines in their production on Broadway or the tours due to the weekend's terrible events.  I would think not, that would be a difficult change to make - San Diego has a SeaWorld and a lot of the same characteristics, but it's 4 syllables instead of the 3 syllable Orlando. 

Also, in a situation like this, who does make the final call?  Can the stage manager facilitate a last minute change in a sensitive situation like this?  Or does someone have to get the approval of the original director C. Nicholaw or others, even in an emergency?     I know it was turmoil the night that Gary Coleman passed away, and the Avenue Q people decided to keep everything intact, with of course a very heartfelt speech by Danielle Thomas at the curtain call honoring the late Gary Coleman.  

MyLife
#2Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/13/16 at 12:47pm

Does it warrant changing? The show doesn't say anything bad about Orlando. Elder Price talks about loving Orlando and dreaming of being there. It's a nice sentiment. If anything, I imagine it would have gotten an extra applause.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/13/16 at 12:48pm

https://twitter.com/nicrouleau/status/742039738442514432

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#4Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/13/16 at 2:46pm

"Does it warrant changing? The show doesn't say anything bad about Orlando. Elder Price talks about loving Orlando and dreaming of being there. It's a nice sentiment. If anything, I imagine it would have gotten an extra applause."

I agree. The city of Orlando did nothing wrong and it still is a wonderful place to be. Matter of fact,I will be there later this week.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#5Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/14/16 at 1:45am

I'll bet there was some kind of speech, as there was at the Tony awards.

When Elder Price talks about Orlando, I think he is using it as a code word for Walt Disney World. Had the Orlando tragedy happened before BOM came out, they might have changed the place to "California," or something else that fits the meter of the song. By now, however, I think it's too well established in the lyrics to change. Also, I think there's a set that is supposed to resemble Orlando.

Unfortunately, tragedies often have the unintended effect of turning previously innocuous references into squirm-inducing lines. An ancient TV show had a character named Mr. Hinkley. After John Hinkley shot President Reagan, the show changed his name to Mr. Handley. If I recall, at least one terrorism movie got shelved, at least for awhile, because of 9/11. There was a hysterically funny "I Love Lucy" episode where she and Ethel are scout leaders invited to meet President Kennedy. The show included an off-camera line from a JFK impersonator. The episode was not repeated, as it ordinarily would have been, because of the intervening Kennedy assassination.

Some day, BOM will close, and a revival may use a different place name. (New Jersey? Rhode Island? Missouri?) Then, again, by that time, the pain from the Orlando attack may have receded.

Audrey

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

godlessondheimite2
#6Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:47am

Nic Rouleau tweeted about this, which LizzieCurry posted. He kept it, although I'm sure there was some added poignancy. I'm wondering if the cast addressed it after the show, though.

godlessondheimite2
#7Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:47am

Nic Rouleau tweeted about this, which LizzieCurry posted. He kept it, although I'm sure there was some added poignancy. I'm wondering if the cast addressed it after the show, though.

LizzieCurry
#8Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/14/16 at 8:49am

I'm sure if it'd been BCEFA time they would've.

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#9Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:49am

I really liked Nic's tweet about this. In fact, I may argue that changing it may be more saddening. I'm seeing the touring production in Chicago, and it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Liza's Headband
#10Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:56am

Oh, how absurd. Did people also suggest we should change any plays or musicals that reference Paris, France, following the November attacks? The Orlando references are not topical, negative or location-specific. There's no reason to change anything

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/14/16 at 10:20am

Liza's Headband said: "Oh, how absurd. Did people also suggest we should change any plays or musicals that reference Paris, France, following the November attacks? The Orlando references are not topical, negative or location-specific. There's no reason to change anything."

It is location-specific. He says Disney.

Just give the world Love.

LizzieCurry
#12Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/14/16 at 10:21am

Dysquith13 said: "I really liked Nic's tweet about this. In fact, I may argue that changing it may be more saddening. "

Agree with both of these sentiments.

Liza's Headband
#13Anybody at Book of Mormon yesterday? Orlando line still intact?
Posted: 6/14/16 at 10:25am

uncageg - when I mentioned "location-specific," I was referring to the actual establishment where the massacre took place (i.e. Orlando vs. Pulse, NYC vs. Twin Towers, Paris vs. the Bataclan, etc.)