Wrong creative team

broadwayguy91
#50Wrong creative team
Posted: 8/26/16 at 3:56am

I wish there was a different design team for Anastasia. The flat video projections just aren't doing it for me. Would love for an actual physical set. 

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#51Wrong creative team
Posted: 8/26/16 at 7:49am

Andrew Lippa shouldn’t be allowed near any existing properties. Let him ruin his own ideas.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#52Wrong creative team
Posted: 8/26/16 at 11:47pm

icecreambenjamin said: "^I'm not trying to make a claim.  Just expressing my opinion.

"

benjamin, your posts sent me back to read the lyrics of the song. In short, you were right and I was wrong.

Part of the problem is that the ensemble backup tends to obscure the lyrics of the third chorus, but I was so caught up with the idea that Little Edie was trapped in the "summer town", I missed the shift in the metaphor where she BECOMES the "summer town" ("A middle-age woman looks back at me, because it's winter in a summer town."Wrong creative team

I apologize for my snark and thank you (and Scarywarhol) for schooling me so thoroughly.

(Sorry it took me so long to post this. I couldn't remember which thread the posts were in.)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#53Wrong creative team
Posted: 8/27/16 at 12:19am

"You are right on so many things. I truly think that "Aladdin"'s success is due mainly to Casey Nicholaw"

No offense, but Nicholaw has no eye for design or style. Aladdin should be this big, gaudy production, but, to me, it felt very cheap. The sets looked cheap. The effects felt cheap. The staging felt very weak. When the characters weren't dancing, it all just felt very uninspired. And I felt the same about Tuck Everlasting. I don't think he knew what to do with a show that wasn't highly comedic. Even Book of Mormon, I thought the design was flawed and there was no sense of stage pictures or scene objectives or anything. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#54Wrong creative team
Posted: 8/27/16 at 11:23am

GavestonPS said: "icecreambenjamin said: "^I'm not trying to make a claim.  Just expressing my opinion.

"

benjamin, your posts sent me back to read the lyrics of the song. In short, you were right and I was wrong.

Part of the problem is that the ensemble backup tends to obscure the lyrics of the third chorus, but I was so caught up with the idea that Little Edie was trapped in the "summer town", I missed the shift in the metaphor where she BECOMES the "summer town" ("A middle-age woman looks back at me, because it's winter in a summer town."Wrong creative team

I apologize for my snark and thank you (and Scarywarhol) for schooling me so thoroughly.

(Sorry it took me so long to post this. I couldn't remember which thread the posts were in.)

"

Thank you Gaveston!  It's very very kind of you for apologizing.  Absolutely no hard feelings. :)

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#55Wrong creative team
Posted: 8/27/16 at 2:34pm

Young Frankenstein. I have no idea who could have done better, but for me it just felt clunky and inert, with only a few funny moments. It seemed like a wasted opportunity. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#56Wrong creative team
Posted: 8/27/16 at 3:12pm

Yeah. I felt like with young Frankenstein they were like "the producers worked so having the same creative team for this show will work"

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RW3
#57Wrong creative team
Posted: 9/4/16 at 10:11pm

I feel like Paramour would've been so much better with Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman doing the music and lyrics for the show.

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#58Wrong creative team
Posted: 9/4/16 at 10:42pm

Echoing disappointment over The Addams Family - if there was ever a tv family ripe for musicalization it was the Addamses, but somehow they totally and utterly fumbled it by turning into the exact commercial trash that The Addams Family mocks.

GavestonPS said: "TotallyEffed said: "I listen to Grey Gardens practically every week, but I often dream of a Sonhdeim adaptation.

"

Interesting and I certainly see what you mean. Everybody here seems to rave about "Another Winter in a Summer Town", but other than having one of the greatest hooks of all time, I don't see how the song has much content. (And I certainly understand the sentiment, coming from Ft. Lauderdale and having retired to Palm Springs, though my experience is the opposite: too many summers in winter towns. LOL.)

"

I like the idea of Another Winter as a song, but the music feels stumbling and incomplete (an artificially difficult, dissonant melody for the sake of being complicated), and the lyrics take five minutes to state a two-minute idea, without the elaboration that makes something like The Miller's Son work. The show as a whole feels too clean and gilded for me, though that might just be the sterile cast recording.

Updated On: 9/4/16 at 10:42 PM