pixeltracker

Ben Brantley On Barbra Streisand

Ben Brantley On Barbra Streisand

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#1Ben Brantley On Barbra Streisand
Posted: 8/3/16 at 5:08pm

Mr. Brantley recently interviewed the legendary Barbra Streisand, discussing her upcoming new album, tour, and potential film version of Gypsy. Very interesting article, and I found out she was releasing a memoir next year (how did I not know this?)! Also discusses her passion for directing and control. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/theater/barbra-streisand-sets-the-record-straight.html

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 8/3/16 at 05:08 PM

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#2Ben Brantley On Barbra Streisand
Posted: 8/3/16 at 6:24pm

So, Sondheim is re-writing lyrics for the film version? Interesting.

And didn't Sondheim say in his book that the "Ma..mama.." part of Rose's Turn isn't about Rose's mother, but about the scene before when Gypsy tells Rose to let go? 

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#3Ben Brantley On Barbra Streisand
Posted: 8/3/16 at 6:50pm

Interested to read that she has the complete footage for the Funny Girl Swan Lake number. Wish that it had been included in the recent Blu-Ray release. 

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#4Ben Brantley On Barbra Streisand
Posted: 8/3/16 at 9:16pm

Is this the first time Babs has toured with a band instead of a full orchestra?  I assume ticket prices are just as high as before (if not higher)?  

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#5Ben Brantley On Barbra Streisand
Posted: 8/3/16 at 10:45pm

She's suggested some lyric changes, etc. for GYPSY. We don't know if her changes have been approved. All in all, I thought this was a fascinating article...and went deeper than a puff piece (which is probably what Barbra thought it would be).

But how much longer can she think she could play Rose? She's obviously gotten into great shape for the tour...as the current photos in the article show. Sure, she's aged, but those photos suggest she could pass for late 40s, early 50s...still too old for Rose. 

The Streisand/GYPSY project will surely give us endless more threads or posts. 

I wonder what's up with her Catherine the Great movie she's supposedly directing? This film could probably delay GYPSY going into production until she is 76. Wow.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#6Ben Brantley On Barbra Streisand
Posted: 8/3/16 at 11:08pm

Streisand passing for late 40's?!?!?! 

What kind of crack are YOU smoking?!?!?!  

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#7Ben Brantley On Barbra Streisand
Posted: 8/3/16 at 11:12pm

The way all this is playing out Streisand will direct Gaga as Mama Rose and Arian Grande will be Louise/Gypsy.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#8Ben Brantley On Barbra Streisand
Posted: 8/3/16 at 11:42pm

Is it at all possible to not to bring up Barbra's age in every thread that Gyspy gets mentioned, every freaking person on these boards have heard the same crap over and over again. For Jebus sake give it a f*ck i n g rest 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian