pixeltracker

My first ever trip to New York (on a tight budget)

My first ever trip to New York (on a tight budget)

busylizzie238 Profile Photo
busylizzie238
#1My first ever trip to New York (on a tight budget)
Posted: 9/11/16 at 4:03pm

Hello! I've been a long-time admirer of Broadway and a silent yet religious follower of this board from London as my window into the wonderful goings on in Broadway. After what has felt like years of saving, I finally travelled to New York for a week at the end of August and managed to squeeze in four shows.

I'm writing this post primarily to thank posters for sharing advice on which shows to prioritise and the advice on getting cheap tickets. Quite oddly, I ended up spending more on off-broadway shows than I did for shows on Broadway. I also hope to inspire those who would love to visit New York that they should keep patiently saving as they will not regret it. I'll give a brief overview of each of the shows I saw - I explore each in more depth in my blog at https://healthywholemealbread.wordpress.com/

AVENUE Q, Saturday Evening Performance 

I was surprised a theatre considered Off-Broadway was so big. I managed to get discounted tickets at $60 for seats in the Orchestra. Had already seen this show in 2009 but still enjoyed re-visiting it and seeing large audiences respond positively to it.

THE COLOR PURPLE, Sunday Performance

I managed to get rush tickets at $35 in the mezzanine. I arrived at the box office at 8am and was fifth in the queue. It was interesting to see the city that never sleeps in the early hours of the morning. Although it is less busy there always seems to be rumblings of activity. It wasn’t until 11am that the crowd got larger before the box office opened at midday. Fortunately I met these wonderful actors in the queue who definitely helped the four hours speed by. I was impressed by the show and found myself at the front of the queue for the stage door as I left the theatre so waited to see the actors come out. I was surprised by how willing they were to sign my programme.

THE FANTASTICKS, Wednesday Matinee Performance

Decided to see this show very last minute as I was by the ticket stands and this seller told me it was a cute comedy bound to make me laugh. I got tickets for about $50 in the front row and was largely disappointed. Can someone help explain how it is the longest running musical on Broadway? It seemed like everyone in the audience felt similarly disappointed by it.

ON YOUR FEET! Thursday Evening Performance

I was gobsmacked that I won the online lottery for tickets at $40 in the Orchestra and it ended up being one of my favourites. Without knowing much about Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine, I completely fell in love with the music and moved by the story line. I hope that it transfers to the west end. (Turned into a bit of a fan girl when the earlier male lead, Ektor Rivera, retweeted by blog post).

Overall it was a joyous experience and when I think back I can’t help but smile. I’m saving again for my next trip and have got a list of shows I would like to see including Dear Evan Hansen!

Updated On: 9/11/16 at 04:03 PM

Crazy NooNooHead Profile Photo
Crazy NooNooHead
#2My first ever trip to New York (on a tight budget)
Posted: 9/11/16 at 4:44pm

Glad you had such a great trip! I'm from NYC and visiting London right now, so that made reading your post extra fun for me. Hope you're able to visit again soon!

"I have maggots in my scrotum!"

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3My first ever trip to New York (on a tight budget)
Posted: 9/11/16 at 4:52pm

THE FANTASTICKS, Wednesday Matinee Performance

Decided to see this show very last minute as I was by the ticket stands and this seller told me it was a cute comedy bound to make me laugh. I got tickets for about $50 in the front row and was largely disappointed. Can someone help explain how it is the longest running musical on Broadway? It seemed like everyone in the audience felt similarly disappointed by it.

THE FANTASTICKS has never been on Broadway.  It originated and continues as an Off-Broadway musical.  You saw the Off-Broadway revival which started in 2006.  The original Off-Broadway run was from 1960 to 2002 making it the longest running musical Off-Broadway not Broadway.  

busylizzie238
#4My first ever trip to New York (on a tight budget)
Posted: 9/11/16 at 6:13pm

Many thanks BrodyFosse123 for the clarification, I've amended my blog to reflect that this!

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#5My first ever trip to New York (on a tight budget)
Posted: 9/11/16 at 10:39pm

Thank you for your report. It's always fun to read accounts by first-timers. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#6My first ever trip to New York (on a tight budget)
Posted: 9/12/16 at 6:44am

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I'm curious whether you saw the London production of The Color Purple back in summer 2013 and how it compares to Broadway. Cynthia Erivo also starred in that production. I, too, saw the Color Purple via rush tix and got a mezz seat but that's one show that I think may be more effective if seen from the orchestra. I hope to watch it again.

busylizzie238
#7My first ever trip to New York (on a tight budget)
Posted: 9/12/16 at 3:01pm

Crazy NooNooHead - I hope you have a wonderful time during your visit to London!

MarkBearSF - No problem! I could gush about Broadway all day

Wick3 - I'm afraid I didn't see the London production. However I did see Cynthia Erivo in the flop 'I Can't Sing' the X Factor Musical. Despite how terrible the musical was she just shone and I hoped that she would go on to do greater things. So I am very pleased to see her take on a show in a much better musical! 

Videos