pixeltracker

Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos bet. Dec. 26-30?

Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos bet. Dec. 26-30?

Terracentric
#1Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos bet. Dec. 26-30?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 3:10pm

Hello, I may be able to add a musical to my NYC itinerary in Dec. I already have a ticket to Dear Evan Hansen. Based on what I've read and seen online, I've narrowed my top two to Color Purple with Cynthia Erivo (I read here there's a possibility of a contract extension for her) and Falsettos (the music is growing on me and I like the cast).

Which one would you recommend?

Other musicals I've considered are Waitress, Something Rotten and Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812. It's ok for me to see these on tour. I'm confident they'll make their way to San Francisco at some point. Plus, the music and set design of Natasha aren't growing on me just yet.

Updated On: 9/17/16 at 03:10 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 3:12pm

No matter what the other option is, if you haven't yet seen Cynthia Erivo in The Color Purple, you should see Cynthia Erivo in The Color Purple.

Terracentric
#3Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos bet. Dec. 26-30?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 3:18pm

Thanks BroadwayConcierge. I was actually going to title my post "Cynthia Erivo or Falsettos in Dec." I'm leaning heavily towards TCP but tickets beyond Dec. 18 are not yet on sale. I'm hoping she'll be performing late Dec. 

(Added info) I didn't know anything about Falsettos before I heard about the revival here on BW. The more I learn about it, the more I'd like to see it. I'm not sure if it will go on tour. 

Updated On: 9/17/16 at 03:18 PM

yknot
#4Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 3:27pm

Great Comet is the correct answer here by far. I wouldn't count on it touring at all - in fact, I'd be very surprised if it did. Even if it does, there's no way they can tour the full immersive effect. It's really unlike anything else you've ever seen. The recording and pictures don't come close to the live experience. 

Terracentric
#5Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 4:20pm

Thanks yknot. I have the budget for rear mezz so I won't be getting that immersive experience anyway. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#6Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 5:23pm

I would wait to purchase anything until closer to the date so you have more information on if Cynthia extends. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

bungalowbob2
#7Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 5:57pm

I would also say the great comet is the right choice. Even if you are in rear mezz, they make a tremendous effort to get all over the theater. Just an overall outstanding show. If I had to choose between the two you mentioned though, I'd probably go with Falsettos. Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of TCP, although I know I'm an outlier. Falsettos seems like a lot of fun.

buhbuhbilly Profile Photo
buhbuhbilly
#8Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 6:48pm

Any seat in the theater for Comet will be a really awesome, actors will be flooding the whole house 

Call_me_jorge
#9Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 6:55pm

^aren't you apart of the cast?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#10Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 7:25pm

I can't imagine any of the musicals in the fall/winter season quite comparing to the experience of seeing Cynthia Erivo in THE COLOR PURPLE. It'll go down as one of the great stage performances in the history of Broadway. I highly encourage you to see it. The whole production is a perfect example of how musical theatre can be just as sublime as the highest regarded plays.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

DeRubaJ
#11Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 8:35pm

yknot said: "Great Comet is the correct answer here by far. I wouldn't count on it touring at all - in fact, I'd be very surprised if it did. Even if it does, there's no way they can tour the full immersive effect. It's really unlike anything else you've ever seen. The recording and pictures don't come close to the live experience. 

"

Would that affect its TONY winning chances

Call_me_jorge
#12Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/17/16 at 8:41pm

DeRubaJ said: "yknot said: "Great Comet is the correct answer here by far. I wouldn't count on it touring at all - in fact, I'd be very surprised if it did. Even if it does, there's no way they can tour the full immersive effect. It's really unlike anything else you've ever seen. The recording and pictures don't come close to the live experience. 

"

Would that affect its TONY winning chances

"

Not necessarily. I wouldn't say TCP revival is a great fit for touring, especially since it toured not that long ago. Yet they won. The voters don't just make a financial vote, but they also vote what's best.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#13Color Purple w/ Erivo or Falsettos in Dec.?
Posted: 9/18/16 at 1:37am

Call_me_jorge said: "^aren't you apart of the cast?"

Most people on BWW are apart of the cast.

Videos