pixeltracker

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread- Page 18

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#425The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/17/19 at 9:25am

Since Camilla is dead, I'm wondering who explains why Kevin Rosario is so excited to buy a lottery ticket and who's going to invite Usnavi over for dinner because there's plenty to eat.....

teddy1996
#426The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 10:41pm

helvizz said: "Boq101 said: "I was wondering how much of the songs they'll be keeping, this is what I have so far:

Act I

• "In the Heights" — Definitely in, I wonder if all of the scenes in it will stay as musicalized.
  • "Breathe" — In, maybe shortened?
  • "Benny's Dispatch" — Fun song but idk that it's needed, is it also a thing in 2020?
  • "It Won't Be Long Now" — In for sure.
  • "Inútil" — I think this is cut. I think perhaps a scene in its place, but def cut.
  • "No Me Diga"— In, maybe different gossip, different line breakup to give Cuca some lines
  • "96,000" — In
  • "Paciencia y Fe" — In. I don't know what they would cut so I'm hoping it stays intact.
  • "When You're Home" — INNNN
  • "Piragua" — I feel like these are cut. Maybe we'll get the music underscoring him walking around, maybe a small version, nothing crazy like Eliseo's.
  • "The Club" — In, I read somewhere it's not a big a moment in the movie as it is in the show.
  • "Blackout" — Definitely a piece they played around with a lot, since it doesn't need to end an act.

Act II

• "Sunrise" — I'd wanna keep it but it also seems like an easy thing to cut.
  • "Hundreds of Stories" — It's a very in-one song, I could see them sparsing some of the material, maybe a scene in stead?
  • "Enough" — RIP Camila
  • "Carnaval del Barrio" — In, lots of changes for the new DACA storyline
  • "Atención"(Attention)— Again, not sure how prevalent the cab system is at spreading news anymore.
  • "Alabanza" — in
  • "Everything I Know" — in
  • "No Me Diga (Reprise)" — scene
  • "Piragua (Reprise)" — cut
  • "Champagne" — in
  • "When the Sun Goes Down" — in
  • "Finale" — changed? That trailer gave lots of questions.

let me know what you think i wanna talk about itttt. :)"

I hardly think they'd cut the Piragua songs, they're very short, they feature Lin and they're great, fun metaphors for the situation of the barrio.

I'm not sure about Inutil being cut either, it's short,very emotional and tells the story of an immigrant (which is very much what the show is about), gives depth to Nina's dad, shows the reason as to why he does what he does and it's the character's only song.

And, since the movie will be Usnavi telling the story of the barrio to some kids, they can use the taxi cabs in Atencion, it may not be very usual, but it was part of the barrio's history.
"

there is already criticism regarding the cast and diversity: 

https://twitter.com/bad_dominicana/status/1205210047233581066?s=21

https://twitter.com/sheismela_/status/1205562152251199489?s=21

https://twitter.com/marlana/status/1205127296216158216?s=21

https://twitter.com/kerr_kiara/status/1205545249147363333?s=21

teddy1996
#427The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/23/19 at 9:25pm

If marketed and played just right, in the heights could be the biggest surprise of summer 2020. even above the big blockbuster movies and based on the trailer, i see a lot of awards potential for it as well. this movie will be so important to so many and it will be so representative of such a beautiful community.

NYCblurb
#428The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/23/19 at 10:16pm

Agreed with you, on this front.

Predicting a HUGE HIT HERE for Chu's vision of this rich timely musical. LMM made this in 1999 I think. Seems so so right for THIS MOMENT. Compared to West Side Story (where Latino's stab people) movie, I think In the Heights is RIGHT ON with being a stage-to-film story that is timely and right on.

Two white guys, remaking a CLASSIC West Side Story about Latinos seems no bueno to me. 

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

teddy1996
#429The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/23/19 at 11:42pm

NYCblurb said: "Agreed with you, on this front.

Predicting a HUGE HIT HERE for Chu's vision of this rich timely musical. LMM made this in 1999 I think. Seems so so right for THIS MOMENT.Compared to West Side Story (where Latino's stab people) movie, I think In the Heights is RIGHT ON with being a stage-to-filmstory that is timely and right on.

Two white guys, remaking a CLASSIC West Side Storyabout Latinos seems no bueno to me.
"

this movie has been getting so much buzz. even people who hate musicals are looking forward to it. the trailer has over 8.2 million views on youtube. i think this movie is gonna be a massive summer hit and i predict that it will be a cultural phenomenon 

MyLife
#430The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/24/19 at 10:39am

We're talking about cut songs but do we know if Lin wrote a new song or two for the film? 

After that (undeserved) Moana loss, he must have EGOT on his mind at least a little bit.

teddy1996
#431The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/24/19 at 11:31am

MyLife said: "We're talking about cut songs but do we know if Lin wrote a new song or two for the film?

After that (undeserved) Moana loss, he must have EGOT on his mind at least a little bit.
"

there are no new songs. he wrote a new song just for the end credits 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#432The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/24/19 at 12:14pm

there are no new songs. he wrote a new song just for the end credits.

Countless end credits songs have won the Oscar for Best Song so Lin-Manuel is obviously hoping for this consideration as the songs from the musical don’t qualify.  

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#433The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/24/19 at 12:28pm

As long as it's the "first musical cue" during the end credits, it's eligible. 

teddy1996
#434The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 2:28am

i am very curious about dascha polanco’s character cuca. i wonder what she will bring to the storyline since she is a added member of the salon ladies. dascha polanco did say that cuca is the life of the party and a pillar of her community who loves the women she surrounds herself with. i hope we get to see expanded storylines for vanessa, cuca, carla and daniela.

Erzlump
#435The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/28/19 at 10:20am

Boq101 said: "I was wondering how much of the songs they'll be keeping, this is what I have so far:

[...] Act II

• "Enough" — RIP Camila"

While I agree that it would not take almost 3 minutes of song to resolve the plot of "Enough", I really just love that song and would miss it dearly if it did not make the cut. Personally, I think the song could easily be sung by Abuela Claudia - showing Nina that she's loved but also contributing to the "combination of the stress and the heat" that is too much for her heart. However, that might also leave poor Nina with grieve over contributing to her death. In addition, the song would be rather oddly placed just right after "Hundreds of Stories". So maybe not. But in theory, they could easily have her sing the song with only a few very minor changes to the lyrics.  

Updated On: 12/28/19 at 10:20 AM

teddy1996
#437The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/20/20 at 2:38am

sadly the movie is getting backlash already. people are assuming that the movie lacks black latinx representation based on the trailer alone. washington heights is a very afro dominican neighborhood with tons and tons of dark skinned latinos. lots of black spanish speakers etc. and in the trailer, we barely see them so far. i see mostly light skinned. however, the movie isn’t out yet and it’s too early to pass judgment already. i am still excited for it. what do you think of the backlash?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#438The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/20/20 at 3:49am

teddy1996 said: "what do you think of the backlash?"

I think it's utter bullsh!t...some people have way too much time on their hands...

BrodyFosse123
#439The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/20/20 at 8:32am

What backlash? I have a few friends working on the marketing of the film and I’ve heard zero about anything negative they’re dealing with. This wasn’t the case hours after the first trailer for CATS. They talked openly about the damage control they were having to deal with.

teddy1996
#440The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/20/20 at 11:59am

BrodyFosse123 said: "What backlash? I have a few friends working on the marketing of the film and I’ve heard zero about anything negative they’re dealing with. This wasn’t the case hours after the first trailer for CATS. They talked openly about the damage control they were having to deal with. "

the backlash isn’t huge yet but some people are talking. some people are already criticizing the movie based on a two minute trailer.  they think the movie lacks black latinx representation. washington heights is a very afro dominican neighborhood with lots and lots of black latinx people and they expect to see that in the movie. in my opinion, it’s way too early to make judgments on this when it’s not even out yet. 

SisterGeorge
#441The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/20/20 at 12:50pm

NYCblurb said: "Two white guys, remaking a CLASSIC West Side Story about Latinos seems no bueno to me."

One of the white guys is gay and both are Jewish.The original West Side Story was created by FOUR gay Jewish white guys and it turned out MUY bueno. I'm willing to give the new version a chance. And I'm Latino born and bred.

And to get back on track, I think the Heights preview makes the movie look like big summer fun.

Sister George
Updated On: 1/20/20 at 12:50 PM

teddy1996
#442The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/22/20 at 1:05am

a friend of mine is seeing a screening of the movie this saturday

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#443The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/22/20 at 9:05am

lol there is absolutely no backlash. 

teddy1996
#444The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/22/20 at 12:08pm

JP2 said: "lol there is absolutely no backlash."

only on twitter. the backlash isn’t huge yet

BrodyFosse123
#445The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/22/20 at 1:41pm

teddy1996 said: "JP2 said: "lol there is absolutely no backlash."

"

Stop stirring a non-existent pot, teddy1996.   It looks ugly.  

teddy1996
#446The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/22/20 at 6:42pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "teddy1996 said: "JP2 said: "lol there is absolutely no backlash."

"

Stop stirring a non-existent pot, teddy1996. It looks ugly.

"

but it’s true tho. i am not stirring a non existent pot. just go on twitter and search the words in the heights afro latinos and you will see some of the backlash. it hasn’t spread yet but it’s there. 

BrodyFosse123
#447The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/22/20 at 6:56pm

teddy1996 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "teddy1996 said: "JP2 said: "lol there is absolutely no backlash."

"

"

but it’s true tho. i am not stirring a non existent pot. just go on twitter and search the words in the heights afro latinos and you will see some of the backlash. it hasn’t spread yet but it’s there.
"

Bro, ENOUGH!  No one else cares.  You’re the only one dragging this on here and trying to get a reaction to some Twitter rant only a selective group is even interested in.  Until it reaches CNN, FOX News and Whoopi talks about it on The View — keep it off this board!  

teddy1996
#448The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/22/20 at 9:32pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "teddy1996 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "teddy1996 said: "JP2 said: "lol there is absolutely no backlash."

"

"

"

Bro, ENOUGH! No one else cares. You’re the only one dragging this on here and trying to get a reaction to some Twitter rant only a selective group is even interested in. Until it reaches CNN, FOX News and Whoopi talks about it on The View — keep it off this board! "

whatever. 

MyLife
#449The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 1/23/20 at 8:40am

teddy1996 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "teddy1996 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "teddy1996 said: "JP2 said: "lol there is absolutely no backlash."

"

"

"

Bro, ENOUGH! No one else cares. You’re the only one dragging this on here and trying to get a reaction to some Twitter rant only a selective group is even interested in. Until it reaches CNN, FOX News and Whoopi talks about it on The View — keep it off this board! "

whatever."

Oh my god, enough!

Now you listen to me.

Carajo - I said enough!

I'm sick of all this fighting.

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread RIP Camila