Rock of Ages Vegas Closing

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1Rock of Ages Vegas Closing
Posted: 10/13/16 at 2:20am

A friend posted that Rock of Ages Vegas is closing. And Jersey Boys gone too. Any idea what is next for those spaces? 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2Rock of Ages Vegas Closing
Posted: 10/13/16 at 6:40am

On your feet is bound to make its way to Vegas at some point.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#3Rock of Ages Vegas Closing
Posted: 10/13/16 at 2:33pm

Was Rock of Ages playing the same theatre as Phantom was?

Jersey Boys having a clear out, with Broadway, West End and now Las Vegas production closing.

i expect Paramor to transfer at some stage and always thought Book of Mormon would do very well on the strip, also think that Wicked would do well there too. Conversely I wouldn't expect Hamilton to do good business there.

maybe Beautiful could make it there, in a smallish space.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#4Rock of Ages Vegas Closing
Posted: 10/13/16 at 2:53pm

Hamilton could open at the North Pole and enough people would make their way there each day to fill the theatre.  I would not expect Paramour to go to Vegas.  It couldn't compete with the shows they have there.  

Anna_Elizabeth Profile Photo
Anna_Elizabeth
#5Rock of Ages Vegas Closing
Posted: 10/13/16 at 3:17pm

Didn't realize Rock of Ages had moved from the Venetian to the Rio, and is closing the Rio. Las Vegas Review-Journal article. Remember, Las Vegas has The Smith Center now, which is bringing in the Broadway tours. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6Rock of Ages Vegas Closing
Posted: 10/13/16 at 3:33pm

It's off the strip, but Pen and Teller seem to do fine there. After seeing something like O, I can't imagine being entertained by something like Rock of Ages. Vegas is all about spectacle and stuff you can't see anywhere else!

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#7Rock of Ages Vegas Closing
Posted: 10/13/16 at 3:35pm

http://m.reviewjournal.com/opinion/columns-blogs/kats/rock-ages-leaving-the-rio-new-year-s-day

Ticketed shows are not doing well on the Strip and in Downtown Las Vegas in Vegas past Cirque du Soleil and headliners at the caliber of Britney Spears, and what's moving into these showrooms are Cirque inspired pieces, variety acts, tribute groups, and burlesque shows. Very inexpensive talent with inexpensive shows that can support the short run times and unsteady flows of the Vegas market.

Besides kitch like Menopause the Musical and 50 Shades the Musical, legit theatre and dance on the Strip is dead until Magic Mike Live opens. And even that's seemingly more of burlesque act.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#8Rock of Ages Vegas Closing
Posted: 10/13/16 at 5:36pm

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

We are headed to Vegas in November and are trying to decide on a show to see.  We've seen all of the Cirque shows and many of the others (Le Reve, Absinthe, etc).  We're interested in checking out "BAZ - Star Crossed Love," but the reviews on Yelp and Tripadvisor are all over the place (raves to pans).  I trust the folks here on Broadwayworld much more than those.  Has anyone on here seen this?