pixeltracker

Amelie and Little Dancer- Page 2

Amelie and Little Dancer

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 3:20pm

Plus it sounds like a snooze fest.

You realize that statement is indicative of nothing, right?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#26Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 3:30pm

Yes JPeterman, I will see it. I just find it amazing how everyone on here picks and chooses what shows they think will succeed. What makes Dear Evan Hansen more likely to succeed than in transit or Bandstand or Come from Away. They are all new musicals with no stars in them, and not really well known.

Updated On: 10/24/16 at 03:30 PM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#27Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 3:40pm

Kinky Boy said: "Yes JPeterman, I will see it. I just find it amazing how everyone on here picks and chooses what shows they think will succeed. What makes Dear Evan Hansen more likely to succeed than in transit or Bandstand or Come from Away. They are all new musicals with no stars in them, and not really well known."

It's about who's attached to the show. Dear Evan Hansen's team is revered on Broadway. Ben Platt has been in more than one commercially successful movie. The producers have deeeeep pockets - which itself would make sure that the show stay open till Tonys. Word of mouth is already strong (their off-Broadway run was practically sold out). Multiple Drama Desk wins from last season would be a primary advertising tool to attract tourists. Their advance sales are strong based on reports. It's also starting early enough in the season to get a chance to build really strong word of mouth before Feb/March - when real competition starts. The aforementioned deep pockets often translate to a crazy Tonys campaign.

Come From Away also comes in after multiple critically acclaimed runs, but does not enjoy the advantages DEH has. Bandstand has least advantage, but has a Tony nominated leading lady, and Tony-winner choreography. They'll have to rely on strong family-friendly advertisement.

I think it's fair to say DEH has a better chance than most musicals to survive not only till summer, but beyond.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#28Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 3:41pm

I'm thinking Kinky Boy is to 2016 as phillypinto was to 2015. 

neonlightsxo
#29Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 3:45pm

Greased, I was just about to point out that this might be Pinto.

Regardless, KB, I have an answer to your question. It's quite obvious.

Dear Evan Hansen is good.

AEA AGMA SM
#30Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 3:54pm

GreasedLightning said: "I'm thinking Kinky Boy is to 2016 as phillypinto was to 2015. "

Believe it or not I was actually just wondering the other day what happened to the old bean.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#31Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 3:55pm

But if only one particular anonymous person thinks it sounds like a snooze fest, then it's fate is sealed, I'm afraid.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#32Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 4:08pm

The only thing that I wonder about DEH is that I've heard more than one viewer call the lead character "manipulative" and very unlikeable. Do you guys think that's true? If so, does that hamper the impact of the story at all?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

neonlightsxo
#33Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 4:09pm

No, I didn't feel that way. Ben is astounding and I found him very likeable.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#34Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 4:17pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "The only thing that I wonder about DEH is that I've heard more than one viewer call the lead character "manipulative" and very unlikeable. Do you guys think that's true? If so, does that hamper the impact of the story at all?"

I do think because the show deals with such weighty subject matter in such an unconventional way, and because the main character's actions are morally questionable, the show will elicit some controversy among audience members. But they still do a good job of making Evan sympathetic and likable. 

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#35Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 4:30pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "The only thing that I wonder about DEH is that I've heard more than one viewer call the lead character "manipulative" and very unlikeable. Do you guys think that's true? If so, does that hamper the impact of the story at all?"

I agree with neonlights.  I found Ben's character to be very likeable .... I completely empathized with his situation.  Most of us have felt like an outsider/like we didn't completely fit in ....  at some point in our lives.  It is a really well done story.  It kind of reminds me of Spring Awakening in some ways.

Updated On: 10/24/16 at 04:30 PM

neonlightsxo
#36Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 4:33pm

JPeterman said: "Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "The only thing that I wonder about DEH is that I've heard more than one viewer call the lead character "manipulative" and very unlikeable. Do you guys think that's true? If so, does that hamper the impact of the story at all?"

I agree with neonlights.  I found Ben's character to be very likeable .... I completely empathized with his situation.  Most of us have felt like an outsider/like we didn't completely fit in ....  at some point in our lives.  It is a really well done story.  It kind of reminds me of Spring Awakening in some ways.
"

Absolutely! Everyone can relate to not fitting in at some point. There's a certain green girl who feels like an outsider that has been doing OK on Broadway for 13 years now.

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#37Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 9:52pm

neonlightsxo said: "Regardless, KB, I have an answer to your question. It's quite obvious. Dear Evan Hansen is good."

It's gonna be the next Hamilton!!!! I Won't hold my breath.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#38Amelie and Little Dancer
Posted: 10/24/16 at 11:17pm

Kinky Boy said: "neonlightsxo said: "Regardless, KB, I have an answer to your question. It's quite obvious. Dear Evan Hansen is good."

It's gonna be the next Hamilton!!!! I Won't hold my breath.

"

Oh yeah. We've got a can of the pinto beans on our hands. 

Updated On: 10/24/16 at 11:17 PM