pixeltracker

There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert - Page 2

There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#25There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert
Posted: 11/22/16 at 11:37pm

GavestonPS said: "Put your money where your mouth is" is a snotty remark worthy of a 7-year-old, not really an argument, yet it neatly sums up your first post. The posts before yours were actually quite civil, with posters admitting they "felt" (as opposed to "knew"There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert a revival might be successful, perhaps in a different venue."

You're confusing with me another poster, and "put your money where your mouth is" is not a demand that commercial success be guaranteed before suggesting a show be revived. I still see it as a call to respect the fact that investors lost millions of dollars on this property just six years ago.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#26There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert
Posted: 11/23/16 at 12:01am

Cupid Boy2 said: "You're confusing with me another poster, and "put your money where your mouth is" is not a demand that commercial success be guaranteed before suggesting a show be revived. I still see it as a call to respect the fact that investors lost millions of dollars on this property just six years ago.

"

Right you are, sir, about my confusing you with another. My cataract surgery is scheduled for 3 weeks from now. (True.) I hope that will help. In the meantime, I apologize.

But as for discussion etiquette, if I can't say I'd like to see a first-class revival of LI'L ABNER win the Tony for "Best Revival" and then tour to Los Angeles, where I can see it, without acknowledging how many millions might well be lost in such an attempt (the book is really dated, IMO), then what is the point of a discussion forum?

Yes, I know such a scheme would cost millions for the Broadway revival and millions more for the tour, but since I'm not even qualified to calculate those costs with any precision, what "respect" do you want me to give them? It's just an idea, one that influences exactly no one.

A comparison might be made to sci-fi sites, where STAR WARS and STAR TREK and BATMAN are discussed ad infinitum with no regard for the cost of additional scenes, casting Brad Pitt as Captain Kirk, etc.

In contrast, we might all sit home quietly, waiting to see what the Nederlanders and Shuberts decide to do. After all, they and their ilk are the ones putting up the money and/or theater space.

UncleCharlie could have enriched the discussion by simply asking "Why do you feel a revival would succeed where the OBC failed?" Instead he felt compelled to be snotty.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#27There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert
Posted: 11/23/16 at 12:24am

No problem at all, I wish you well with your surgery. 

I understand where you're coming from, but there is a stark difference between wanting to see a revival of a show mounted and declaring that it should happen. There's certainly plenty of shows I'd love to see revisited with first-rate productions, but I'm not going to assert that they should happen unless I believe there is an audience for them. This thread was initiated with an assertion and no supporting argument. The piece's recent commercial failure only serves to further undermine that already unsupported assertion.

With that said, please don't mistake what I'm saying as opposition to anyone discussing the shows they dream of being revived. We are all fans of the form, and sharing with one another what we dream of seeing is certainly a part of what makes this board so fun. But the intentions of our words matter - we are not entitled to our dreams.

UncleCharlie
#28There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert
Posted: 11/23/16 at 12:29am

GavestonPS said: "Cupid Boy2 said: "You're confusing with me another poster, and "put your money where your mouth is" is not a demand that commercial success be guaranteed before suggesting a show be revived. I still see it as a call to respect the fact that investors lost millions of dollars on this property just six years ago.

"

Right you are, sir, about my confusing you with another. My cataract surgery is scheduled for 3 weeks from now. (True.) I hope that will help. In the meantime, I apologize.

But as for discussion etiquette, if I can't say I'd like to see a first-class revival of LI'L ABNER win the Tony for "Best Revival" and then tour to Los Angeles, where I can see it, without acknowledging how many millions might well be lost in such an attempt (the book is really dated, IMO), then what is the point of a discussion forum?

Yes, I know such a scheme would cost millions for the Broadway revival and millions more for the tour, but since I'm not even qualified to calculate those costs with any precision, what "respect" do you want me to give them? It's just an idea, one that influences exactly no one.

A comparison might be made to sci-fi sites, where STAR WARS and STAR TREK and BATMAN are discussed ad infinitum with no regard for the cost of additional scenes, casting Brad Pitt as Captain Kirk, etc.

In contrast, we might all sit home quietly, waiting to see what the Nederlanders and Shuberts decide to do. After all, they and their ilk are the ones putting up the money and/or theater space.

UncleCharlie could have enriched the discussion by simply asking "Why do you feel a revival would succeed where the OBC failed?" Instead he felt compelled to be snotty.

Gaveston, if you read back in the thread @z5 basically asked that question in statement form, questioning whether there would be any audience for it since the original run was just a few years ago and it bombed. And the response was that it didn't get a fair shot (what does that even mean? Half the run was during the busy Thanksgiving/Christmas season) and it should have another shot. It just seemed to me the height of "well, I don't care if it bombed and probably would again, I think it should it get another chance, so there." which prompted my response wondering if his own money was at risk, he would feel as strongly? In response I was called an asshole which no one seems to have a problem with.

It's really about what kind of threads people want to see on here. Realistic discussions about the feasibility of reviving a favorite show, or pie in the sky discussions about things that are likely not going to happen? The comparison you make to sci-fi sites where endless hours are spent discussing Brad Pitt as Captain Kirk are reasons why some people laugh at those folks for being so wrapped up in their fantasies, they've lost touch with reality. Is that what you think the view of this board should be rather than a group of passionate, knowledgeable theater fans who have informed discussions about the theater? Maybe it is and maybe that's OK. Not for me to decide. All I know is, I'd better feel the love tomorrow when I start a thread about how BRONX BOMBERS deserves another shot at Broadway.

Updated On: 11/23/16 at 12:29 AM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#29There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert
Posted: 11/23/16 at 12:48am

Greetings. 

I am here to reiterate my earlier statement: 

Uncle Chuck, you're a real a**hole. 

Evening. 

UncleCharlie
#30There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert
Posted: 11/23/16 at 1:04am

Thanks Greased. It's cool and coming from you, it's practically a compliment, kind of like a nod to a fellow asshole that "hey dude, you're doing good work". And as I said earlier, I'm not even sure I would disagree with your assessment.

Have a wonderful evening!

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#31There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert
Posted: 11/23/16 at 2:25am

First off - to address the original question, I agree. It could be a real event with many layers of resonance in the coming years. What is the charter of Encores! summer series? Perhaps in summer 2017 or 2018, it may be even more meaningful - and the limited engagement could attract some amazing casting.

As for the rest. Sigh. I'd think that after 20+ years of online life, I'd have thought that I'd be immune to it by now, but give it up, guys! It's the internet. Person A misinterprets person B. Person C (who may very well be on the Asperger's end of the spectrum or just tends to be a pedantic type) picks a nit. Person D comes into the tread from nowhere and makes a reply to an earlier post, which is misinterpreted by Person B (who misinterprets a lot). Person A is overwhelmed by all this vitriol and misinterpretation and tries to reply to some stuff, throw shade on others who don't get it and the results are further attacks on him/her. Again - sigh!

GavestonPS - sincere best wishes for a great new cornea! Hopefully you'll be able to look into the direct light of a screen and post here soon after your surgery.

And to all of the other posters here on BWW - Have a happy Thanksgiving. (...and if you're not from the US, have a great week)  

Updated On: 11/23/16 at 02:25 AM

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#32There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert
Posted: 11/23/16 at 2:40am

Welp....I will think twice before trying to talk about reviving a show next time lol 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#33There should be a Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson revival and or concert
Posted: 11/23/16 at 3:57am

Well you did say 'or concert' :p. With the right cast, marketing, buzz, venue etc. I think a one-night concert could work. But anyone that would invest money into a full scale revival would probably have been able to hold onto their money longer if they put it threw a paper shredder. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 11/23/16 at 03:57 AM