Dec 26-28. Going bananas.

milesk
#1Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 11/29/16 at 9:25pm

Hi everyone!

My friend and I will go on an express trip to NY Dec 26 - 28. We would like to see a show Monday night, Tuesday night, and then two on Wednesday.

We already have tickets for The Great Comet (no discount) on Wednesday night. We have, then, 3 spots left.

We're closely monitoring the discount codes, but so far we haven't found valid codes for the dates we'll be there for the shows we want to go to (among them Waitress and Something Rotten.) 

Do you have any recommendations for us?

Thanks!!!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 11/29/16 at 9:31pm

Please, please don't miss The Color Purple before it closes! Cynthia Erivo's performance is one for the ages.

Also, as for discounts, you'll likely have to wait a little longer, but check often on sites like BroadwayBox and TheaterMania.

Jakeevan942
#3Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 11/29/16 at 9:37pm

A few notes on the holidays for Broadway-

The week of Dec. 26 - Jan. 1 is likely to break the record from last week as the highest grossing week in Broadway history. The city is crowded, and many shows will sell out in advance. Most BroadwayBox/similar codes will not be valid between Christmas and New Years. Take advantage of TKTS-They tend to get some decent house seats back over this period, but know that the lines might be in a different place as they start building the New Years Eve stages.

Also, take a look at Playbill-Nearly every show has a matinee on the 26th, 27th, or both due to cancelled shows for New Years Eve. In past years, I've had great luck in scoring great seats to shows during holiday weeks for added matinees at TKTS, and shows might release discounts just for these performances if they aren't selling as well. Updated On: 11/29/16 at 09:37 PM

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#4Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 11/29/16 at 10:14pm

I'll be in town those days, too! I'm there the 27-31 (leaving the morning of the 31-don't want to battle NYE crowds). 

As has been mentioned, several shows that wouldn't have Tuesday matinees have them  on that Tuesday the 27th if you'd like to add a 4th show! I'm going to the Fiddler matinee on that day. I haven't seen it yet (obviously), but it closes the 31, so you'd be one of the last people to see what is according to most a lovely revival with a knockout performance from Danny Burstein. Off the top of my head, I also think Beautiful and Matilda, among other shows, have matinees on the 27.

Have fun!

rjm516
#5Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 11/30/16 at 6:03am

Same here, same dates! I'm so frustrated because, since I have a very specific list of shows I want to see, I will probably need to buy tix in advance and thus spend more than I ever have. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#6Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 11/30/16 at 7:31am

Your only options will likely be lottery, rush, Today Tix, and TKTS. So, just look at the shows you want to see and keep track of how many seats are available... knowing that is one of the busiest weeks of the year. If something looks like it is headed for a sell out, suck it up and buy your tickets. Roll the dice on the rest...

neonlightsxo
#7Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 11/30/16 at 9:19am

As has been said, that's the busiest week of the year. Most discounts are blacked out on those dates. Waiting a little longer won't likely help, you'll have to wait for TKTS/rush/etc

evamon
#8Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 11/30/16 at 10:24pm

I'm exactly the same! Looking to Cram shows in between 27th and NYE. I'm booked into Hamilton on the 27th (dont ask how much!) and Even Hansen on the 30th. I'm hoping I can rush and lottery a bunch of others but I am anxious about the busy period. Top of my list is Great Comet and Falsettos which I'm considered booking in advanced to for both. I just cant tell if its worth risking.

Shows like Bronx Tale, In Transit, Jersey Boys etc I'll risk rushing.

Very excited!!!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#9Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 12/1/16 at 1:17am

evamon said: "Top of my list is Great Comet and Falsettos which I'm considered booking in advanced to for both. I just cant tell if its worth risking."

Great Comet sells out a lot of the time on regular weeks. And they don't hold anything back for lottery/rush (or they haven't in the past), so I think you should lock that one down, too. Dec 26-28. Going bananas. Not sure how well Falsettos s booking for that week, but it is certainly not worth the risk of not seeing it.

In Transit is more a risk if you miss another show to see it...

milesk
#10Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 12/1/16 at 11:06am

How far in advance do you recommend that I get to the booths? Times Square? Lincoln Center?

Thanks for your help!

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#11Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 12/1/16 at 11:43am

Patrick Hinds (host of Theater People and Broadway Backstory podcasts) is constantly promoting the app/website TodayTix (todaytix.com). There is a promo code for first-time users of the app (promo code: theaterppl).

I can't personally endorse/recommend the app or the site because I've never used either, but I trust Patrick Hinds' endorsement.

Not that I want to put you in a position of being a guinea pig, but if you DO choose to give the site/app a try, I'd be interested in hearing what you think about it, as their discounted tickets are not limited to Broadway shows only (they're also available in Chicago where I live).

milesk
#12Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 12/1/16 at 11:26pm

Thanks!!!

The more I think about it, the more I'm painfully aware that I will probably have to pay full price for these tickets.

Dec 26-28. Going bananas.

I'm not cheap, lol. I just can't afford it. I will find a way, though.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#13Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 12/2/16 at 9:14am

John Adams said: "Not that I want to put you in a position of being a guinea pig, but if you DO choose to give the site/app a try, I'd be interested in hearing what you think about it, as their discounted tickets are not limited to Broadway shows only (they're also available in Chicago where I live)."

It's a pretty common app used by hundreds/thousands on this site, nothing risky about it at all. If you order a ticket, you'll see the show. Pretty basic.

neonlightsxo
#14Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 12/2/16 at 12:38pm

I don't think you'll have a hard time finding Something Rotten at TKTS. Waitress may be more difficult, but don't pay full price for Something Rotten.

mcsquared
#15Dec 26-28. Going bananas.
Posted: 12/3/16 at 3:39pm

TodayTix has a pre-sale on their app going on for shows Dec 20-Jan 1--normally you can only get tickets the week of.

Something Rotten and Waitress are both on there so you can see your options ahead of time.

Videos