International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017- Page 2

International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017

Anezkalicious Profile Photo
Anezkalicious
#25International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 1/30/17 at 12:32pm

I very confuse 

Am Petra sister Anezka. I good. She not.

Anezkalicious Profile Photo
Anezkalicious
#26International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 1/30/17 at 12:41pm

Petra antisemite

B-word crazy

Anezka good. Anezka safe. 

#Resist

#Report

Am Petra sister Anezka. I good. She not.

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#27International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 2/21/17 at 3:28pm

Good News for everyone concerned about Israel.  There is a New Sheriff in the UN.  

Nikki Haley lays down the law on UN anti-Israel bias. Never again will the United States let an anti-Israel Resolution( 2334 ) pass

“I am here to underscore the ironclad support of the United States for Israel. I’m here to emphasize the United States is determined to stand up to the UN’s anti-Israel bias,” she announced.

Haley referenced the anti-Israel Resolution 2334, passed in December after former President Obama declined to veto the measure, which lashed Israel’s Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria and dealt a severe blow to Israel’s standing at the UN.

“We will never repeat the terrible mistake of Resolution 2334 and allow one-sided Security Council resolutions to condemn Israel,” she vowed.

Read more at https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/83900/haley-confronts-un-security-councils-israel-bias-first-meeting-watch/#quQjjkVg1eImY4kT.99

When They Go Low, I Go High

A Director
Petralicious
#29International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 2/21/17 at 5:34pm

Youre reading and quoting Salon. You cant expect a serious reply.

Petralicious
#30International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/3/17 at 1:27pm

A Director said: "Well, isn't that special! I'm worried about what is happening at home. http://www.salon.com/2017/02/21/why-has-trump-been-so-slow-to-confront-anti-semitism-several-answers-suggest-themselves-none-of-them-good/

" Another Myth laid to rest. and no, not of anti-semitism, hopefully the others will be linked to him to and we can all live in peace

Disgraced Left-Wing Reporter Charged With Making Several JCC Threats in Plot to Frame Ex-Girlfriend

A radical leftist journalist who was fired from the investigative site the Intercept for falsifying details in his stories has been charged with making several bomb threats against Jewish community centers in what authorities allege was a plot to frame an ex-girlfriend. Juan Thompson, 31, was arrested in St. Louis by the FBI and is being charged in federal court in New York's Southern District.

Like many of the so called Anti-Muslim attacks, blamed on Trump this has proved false as well. A former liberal journalist and Hillary supporter.is charged in at least 8 Anti-Semitic acts including vandalism and bomb threats against Jewish Organizations. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/03/03/leftist_fabulist_juan_thompson_arrested_for_some_jcc_threats.html

Updated On: 3/3/17 at 01:27 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#31International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/10/17 at 5:16pm

We talk about Trump trying to create division and fear, then have people comparing his policies to Hitler. It seems a bit hypocritical and very disingenuous - I think we all know that it is not going to end the same way as the holocaust (and if you honestly believe that, I am concerned for you). 

I don't think Trump's policies around his Muslim ban make any sense and are probably making things worse (I really wish Hillary Clinton was in office right now), but I at least appreciate that he has the guts to openly criticise one aspect of this religion (i.e., the relationship between religious beliefs and behaviours such as terrorism), which any intelligent atheist (see: Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens) would at least acknowledge. 

We have been let down by left-wing politicians (including Bernie Sanders) who have championed Islam into their political platforms, which makes no sense given it is probably the most right-wing, conservative religion on this planet right now, with terrible consequences across the world for free-thinkers, women and gay people. Of course, as usual no one really cares about gay people and perceived 'racism' apparently trumps the importance of positive gay attitudes and gay rights.

I have seen time and time again people complain that criticism of religious ideologies is 'bigotry; racism; persecution'. Please don't fall for this disingenuous propaganda. We need to treat Muslims with respect and make sure they aren't abused or discriminated against while at the same time being able to criticise their belief system for what it is (1. Like all religions, not true 2. Harmful for the rights and attitudes of minorities 3. Potentially harmful for security and safety). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/10/17 at 05:16 PM

mar6411
#32International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/10/17 at 5:20pm

Sigh.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#33International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/10/17 at 6:22pm

I indeed sigh for the victims of Islam, who are of course mostly muslims. No muslim should have to flee their country and leave their family behind by boat because they have been threatened to be killed for being gay. No muslim should have to live closeted to their entire family or in sham heterosexual relationships, even after moving to a Western country such as Australia! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#34International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/10/17 at 7:55pm

I at least appreciate that he has the guts to openly criticise one aspect of this religion (i.e., the relationship between religious beliefs and behaviours such as terrorism),

The terrorists are radicalized by any number of factors, and often aren't even practicing Muslims. Of the one and half billion muslims on earth, what percentage would you define as terrorists? Have you read the Qur'an?

Rather than aiming your ire at the broad spectrum, why not pick a single target and back it up with actual facts...say Saudi Arabia, who have pumped billions into distorting the faith into a perverse extremist ideology far removed from "true" Islam.

I don't really have any answers, and shamefully, am (almost) as ignorant as you, but a lot of your post doesn't sit right. You know you're straying off the right path when you find yourself praising Trump. The man is an morally & intellectually bankrupt piece of ****. If he's so brave, why has he left Saudi Arabia off his hitlist? $$$

Do you have any Muslim friends? Also a thread in memoriam of the Holocaust is maybe not the best place to bash an entire religion and the people who practice it. What do you think the point of Holocaust Rememberance Day actually is? Perhaps that we can learn a lesson and hopefully not repeat past mistakes?

I think we all know that it is not going to end the same way as the holocaust (and if you honestly believe that, I am concerned for you). 

How can you be so short-sighted? The hate and bigotry that Trump propagates is sewing seeds all over the US and beyond. How could anybody possibly know where and how that will end? I'll tell you this, it won't be good.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 3/10/17 at 07:55 PM

Jay Lerner-Z
#35International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/10/17 at 8:59pm

We talk about Trump trying to create division and fear, then have people comparing his policies to Hitler. It seems a bit hypocritical and very disingenuous

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

binau Profile Photo
binau
#36International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/10/17 at 9:47pm

Of course I have muslim friends - do you think the anecdote about a refugee having to flee his country for his being gay is fictional? Of course, as victims of Islam these muslims happily share the same views as me and are able to call out human rights atrocities within Islamic communities for what they are, rather than sweep it under the rug or blatantly lie about it (e.g., a recent commentator in Australia who claimed Islam is 'the most feminist' religion). I was thankful to watch an Iranian play recently where they were brave enough to blatantly criticise the sexist attitudes in Islamic communities - non-Muslims don't seem to be very effective at doing this because they are seen as racist. It needs to come from within.

The relationship between Islam and terrorism is complex - but even the idea that there exists a belief system that can be hijacked and used as a political weapon is absurd. It doesn't matter that it is a minority that practice such behaviours given 1. the outcomes are terribly devastating, and 2. all religious views, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism or whatever are based on non-truths (in other words, all religious ideologies deserve criticism - even peaceful ideologies - if we actually care about the truth - I know I do).

I am not 'bashing' the people who practice this religion or any religion, who for the most part had no say in the matter given the transmission of religious beliefs is terribly through the indoctrination of children. However, I am 'bashing' all religious belief systems and ideas (e.g., creationism; the role of women/men in society; ideas of the after-life) for their intellectual absurdity and negative outcomes they cause for societies and individuals, particularly minority individuals.

I agree this is not the best topic or even forum for such a discussion, but to be clear I'm only mentioning this because people thought it wise to compare Trump's positions around Islam with Hitler's positions around Judaism, which 1. I think is very tenuous indeed - and, 2. I want to reinforce (because so many 'progressive' people don't seem to get it) that it is important we do continue to criticise false ideas and right-wing conservative attitudes found in many religions, such as Christianity or Islam, when they lead to the kind of devastating outcomes we continue to see throughout the world. 

It is deeply upsetting that hypocritical people like Trump (whose political platform is much more aligned with religious ideologies, such as Islam) have taken it upon their cause to criticise Islam because now, perhaps due to identity politics, the left-wing agenda has taken it upon their cause to champion Islam onto their political platform (also hypocritically, because unlike Trump they are meant to care about gay rights). But make no mistake - there is genuine, warranted criticism of religions such as Christianity and Islam because the values and intellectual capital associated with these religions should have no place in a modern society. Let people discuss this without calling them ignorant, bigots, racists, fascists, hitler etc. 

Jay, that photo hilariously describes so many islamic countries that it is absurd. This does again once more make me wonder why Trump doesn't welcome Islam onto his platform with open arms - Trump/the republican party and islam are two sides of the same coin.

Updated On: 3/10/17 at 09:47 PM

mar6411
#37International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/10/17 at 10:30pm

Sigh.

And thank you Jay Lerner-Z.  As always, well done.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#38International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/10/17 at 11:10pm

As always, can count on some posters here to not bother to engage in the conversation or make any real value (mar6411). I do understand that in a world that has been infiltrated with religious beliefs this is always a difficult conversation to have. Unless we are speaking about say, the greek gods, many don't seem willing to entertain a discussion about putting a spotlight on just how intellectually ridiculous most religious beliefs in this world are, even if the implications of the beliefs lead to devastating consequences (e.g., the marginalisation, isolation, death of gay people). 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#39International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/11/17 at 11:19am

Qolbinau, I usually agree with you, but I think it's insulting to say Islam is the most right winged/conservative religion. I don't think you can just paintbrush any religion like that.

i have friends of Muslim faith who are more open than my friends who attend a Catholic Church. 

Muslim based countries may have anti gay laws, but if anything the people coming here, who are trying to find protection, don't give a fu*k who's gay or not. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

mar6411
#40International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/11/17 at 12:37pm

Thank you qolbinau!  I have read many of your other posts in many other threads, and I guess it's my choice not to engage with self-righteous word salad.  Others are so much more eloquent than I and Jay Lerner-Z was that person.  I just expressed a face palm moment.  But thanks for the callout!!

Updated On: 3/11/17 at 12:37 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#41International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/11/17 at 5:21pm

Mar6411, I don't tend to default to insults as so many people do here in these type of discussions because it's cheap, easy and has little value, but I honestly do wonder sometimes what the education levels of the people are like on this forum if you describe my post as 'word salad'. Even if the actual ideas are incorrect, I think I write in a clear enough way that anyone with a decent level of reading ability should be able to easily understand the ideas I am trying to express. Let's face it, the real issue is you don't agree with what I'm saying - not the actual way I have written the words on the page.

"Qolbinau, I usually agree with you, but I think it's insulting to say Islam is the most right winged/conservative religion. I don't think you can just paintbrush any religion like that.

i have friends of Muslim faith who are more open than my friends who attend a Catholic Church. 

Muslim based countries may have anti gay laws, but if anything the people coming here, who are trying to find protection, don't give a fu*k who's gay or not."

I agree/you're right that it can be hard to paintbrush any entire religion, which are often very diverse (e.g., when you start looking at individuals - as you have observed there will be individual differences that are hard to account for in a generalised statement). I can only speak at a generalised/group-level, which won't account for all individuals.

As to the question of the attitudes of Muslim refugees - I can only speak anecdotally to this but as mentioned earlier I do know 3 gay muslims of different Syrian refugee families who have fled for safety, and the families don't seem to just forget their religious beliefs and attitudes. This is why these muslims are sadly living double lives. Plus, given the difficulty of attitude change (i.e., it's a very long-term process) I think we have good reason to believe that attitudes towards gay people in Islamic communities are something that is probably difficult to change in the short-term. 

If we are speaking generally at least, I still can't wrap my head around why in left-wing communities right now there seems to be this double standard between attitudes towards Christianity and Islam. I do sleep easily knowing that I am at least consistent in my views and standards. 

Given the atheist agenda is perhaps one of the least represented today, I don't think this discussion is had enough. And for those sitting there shaking there heads, I don't want to say what I'm about to say because I think the ideas stand on their own - but because some people here often seem reluctant to actually really engage in discussions and often make insults about perceived intelligence - please do note that this particular viewpoint is not some red-neck 'bigoted', 'uneducated' view the same way you might think of Trump when you hear him talk about muslims or Islam. The atheist agenda is characteristic of understanding the truth. really making an effort to understand and challenge ideas where necessary, and being consistent in one's views. They are frequently highly educated scientists. I know this is highly pretentious/condescending. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVxGNPBuxzE

In this current political climate, it is a bit annoying that there is a tiny bit of overlap with the Atheist agenda and some of the right-wing attitudes towards Muslims or Islam. However, as discussed the right-wing views are hypocritical (given the similarity between their religious beliefs) and to me they might be founded on some racism/'bigotry'. The atheist views are based on an understanding of the attitudes and behaviours associated with holding certain religious beliefs - as you would expect given their close similarity, attitudes towards gay people in Islamic communities are similar to christian communities (or in the case of international Islamic communities, worse). 

Given I care deeply about gay rights and gay attitudes, I don't want this criticism to be silenced in this political climate. In terms of specific policies that might be associated with this viewpoint, the long-term vision should be to improve education for children (teach them how to think - not what to think. Don't indoctrinate them with religious beliefs. Give them a wide religious and scientific education so that they can make the decision themselves).

The indoctrination of Children (some might call it abuse) is why I think we are in such a difficult political situation today. The Christian Party of America (aka the Republican Party) is one of the worst political platforms I have seen world-wide - yet still is able to command a terribly large following in the USA. I am confident that with better education systems this issue will not exist in the long-term future.

I know we are now drifting far off-topic, so I guess just to reiterate the purpose of these posts - it's in response to comments that Trump's criticism of muslims/Islam makes him similar to Hitler. I am trying to forward the viewpoint that I think there is genuine warranted criticism to be had of all religions, including Islam. We can't just sit here and all live peacefully together because religious people seem to want to insert their beliefs into the lives of others (e.g., through the political process) and cause pain and suffering for minorities world-wide.

Updated On: 3/11/17 at 05:21 PM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#42International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:54pm

Religion is a chosen thing, like political affiliation and unlike race or gender, and it is therefore fair game to criticize people for their religious beliefs. Any individual Muslim, Christian, or atheist should be judged as an individual, but it's ridiculous to pretend that Islam is a force for good in the world.

Jay Lerner-Z
#43International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/14/17 at 8:47pm

I may have been more receptive to some of qolbinau's points if he hadn't come close to jumping on the Trump crazy train. 

I at least appreciate that he has the guts to openly criticise one aspect of this religion (i.e., the relationship between religious beliefs and behaviours such as terrorism),

Guts? I guess it took guts to cozy up to the Saudis at lunch in the state dining room at the White House today. The same Saudi Arabia that Noam Chomsky has described as "center of radical Islamic extremism".

"  Chomsky adds that the U.S. ally is "a source of not only funding for extremist radical Islam and the jihadi outgrowths of it, but also, doctrinally, mosques, clerics and so on, schools, you know, madrassas, where you study just Qur’an, is spreading all over the huge Sunni areas from Saudi influence."  "

binau Profile Photo
binau
#44International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2017
Posted: 3/17/17 at 3:15am

Don't read too much into my comment - I think everyone knows that in terms of Trump's party/platform I pretty much stand on the completely opposite end of the spectrum. And indeed, the Democratic candidate that I advocated for here is even less like Trump in terms of policies than his successful revival. 

Updated On: 3/17/17 at 03:15 AM

Petralicious
#45Israel -USA Bromance is back
Posted: 3/17/17 at 10:23am

The Good News: Once again America has Israels back in the UN. Nikki Haley is laying down the law!!

US demands UN pull report accusing Israel of apartheid

Envoy Nikki Haley says Washington outraged by publication; Sec-Gen Guterres distances self from it; Israel slams it as ‘despicable’

That such anti-Israel propaganda would come from a body whose membership nearly universally does not recognize Israel is unsurprising,” said Haley.

Based in Beirut, ESCWA is comprised of 18 Arab countries, according to its website, which lists the state of Palestine as a full member, and works to strengthen cooperation and promote development

Haley has accused the United Nations of being biased against Israel and has vowed as President Donald Trump’s envoy to staunchly defend Israel at the world body.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said “the report as it stands does not reflect the views of the secretary-general” and was done without consultations with the UN secretariat

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres shaking hands with new US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley at the United Nations in New York,  January 27, 2017. (AFP/Bryan R. Smith)

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres shaking hands with new US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley at the United Nations in New York, January 27, 2017. (AFP/Bryan R. Smith)

http://www.timesofisrael.com/us-demands-un-pull-report-accusing-israel-of-apartheid/

Magdalicious
#46Israel -USA Bromance is back
Posted: 3/17/17 at 3:44pm

Wonder what Steve King think of Israel. Lots of somebody else babies there. 

Mother to Petra and Anezka. Am evil like Petra