pixeltracker

Help a Future Theater Teacher Out

Help a Future Theater Teacher Out

jdavisinaustin
#1Help a Future Theater Teacher Out
Posted: 2/1/17 at 3:01pm

Hey everyone.  I'm currently obtaining my teaching certification and plan on teaching High School theater.  I have a new assignment for my certification course in which I have to lead a lesson or discussion on theater.  I've decided to pose the question to the class of "Why is theater important?" and have them brainstorm in groups before sharing their thoughts.

I thought it would be fun, though, to play a song about art or theater at the start of the lesson.  Aside from "There's No Business Like Show Business," are there any songs that you think could accompany this exercise?

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#3Help a Future Theater Teacher Out
Posted: 2/1/17 at 3:08pm

Putting it together

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#4Help a Future Theater Teacher Out
Posted: 2/1/17 at 3:15pm

The first ones that come to mind are "Comedy Tonight" from Forum, "Magic to Do" from Pippin, "Make 'Em Laugh" from Singin' in the Rain, "Gospel According to King" from My Favorite Year, and even "Audition" from La La Land.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#5Help a Future Theater Teacher Out
Posted: 2/1/17 at 3:51pm

Immediate first thought is "Show People" from Curtains. Others that come to mind:

- "Give My Regards to Broadway"

- "I Hope I Get It"

- "Let Me Be Your Star"

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#6Help a Future Theater Teacher Out
Posted: 2/1/17 at 5:00pm

How about Neil Patrick Harris's opening number from 2012 Tony awards... "What if life were more like theatre?"

skip to 4:30.

jdavisinaustin
#7Help a Future Theater Teacher Out
Posted: 2/1/17 at 5:30pm

"How about Neil Patrick Harris's opening number from 2012 Tony awards... "What if life were more like theatre?""

I forgot about this!  This is great!  Too bad I only have 10 minutes for this assignment (I'm pretty sure they'll be annoyed if a video does most of the talking for me), but I think I can use part of it now and the whole thing when I've got an entire class to teach.

Thanks for this!  And I love all the other ideas, too.