pixeltracker

Hamilton in San Francisco- Page 12

Hamilton in San Francisco

broadwaysfguy
#275Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:15pm

"everyone taking off this week" is a gross exaggeration

my friend whos there tonight sent performers listing tonight and entire cast is in except for josh henry and the phillip schuyler/doctor track

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#276Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/2/17 at 1:44am

broadwaysfguy said: ""everyone taking off this week" is a gross exaggeration

my friend whos there tonight sent performers listing tonight and entire cast is in except for josh henry and the phillip schuyler/doctor track
"

No one said everyone was offf this week. We were pointing out how the last few weeks several people have taken vacation and were wondering if anyone aside from Joshua would also be on vacay this week as well. Given that Ryan Vasquez has said he'll be Burr sometime this week it looks like it's just Joshua his week who's out, which it nice because there's still a couple people who haven't taken vacation. 

n.holden
#277Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/2/17 at 9:47am

Anyone see Ryan Alvarado as Burr last night? Really want to know how he was. He's doing all the shows Ryan Vasquez isn't.

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#278Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:41am

With the announced return in early 2019, I wonder if the Chicago run will just transfer over to SF and establish residency there for quite sometime. Either way, an extended run on the west coast is welcome news. 

broadwaysfguy
#279Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/4/17 at 3:36pm

I have to say Ryan Vasquez did a very interesting take on Burr last night. More reserved and almost british colonial up till the end, then more manic and extreme when hamilton supports jefferson. solid volcal turns on room where it happens, wait for it and theodosia. he got very enthusiastic crowd response. Josh is still the burr champ imo and anyone who sees the show with Vasquez not knowing what they are missing with Josh will be very happy.

Ryan A was hamilton and his performance was much better than the first time i saw him. He played hamilton as more confident and if you squint he looks and sounds a lot like miranda. he's still missing the emotional depth and projection when his son dies and during the foregiveness scene, and something about his energy just doesnt make me believe he is as badass as hamilton must have been. see miranda, michael and Javier for how this energy is carried off...all three of them have "it"

also julia harriman in for eliza and she was fine

Jordon gave one of his best and funniest performances every as Jefferson. The role is in great hands and he has come a long way from the first preview march 10...fantastic job!

Rest of cast was great Emmy's singing and presence were amazing as always

Terracentric
#280Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/4/17 at 8:04pm

I saw the show last night, too. It was my 4th time seeing the show (all 4 in SF), and my 2nd time with a different Hamilton (Ryan Alvarado both times), and my 1st with a different Burr (Ryan Vasquez) and Eliza (Julia Harriman). I agree with everything that @broadwaysfguy said about last night.

To be honest, if Ryan Alvarado and Ryan Vasquez were the actual SF leads for Hamilton and Burr, I would've been o.k. seeing the show one time. Michael Luwoye and Joshua Henry made me want to see the show every week and enter the lottery every single day. They're soooo good! Fortunately, I was able to see it four times thanks to my subscription, balcony seats opening up and winning the lottery.

I never saw the show in NYC and don't regret missing it. The one actor I wish I could've seen was Daveed Diggs.

I sat in balcony right last night (row AA, seat 4). It's a really good partial view seat. I posted pics on A View from My Seat website.

Updated On: 8/5/17 at 08:04 PM

broadwaysfguy
#281Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/4/17 at 9:33pm

i could not have my final show be "the ryans"

i called my broker friend at 1245 who said michael lewouye had just walked by. i got to the theatre at 120 and found out the entire original cast was in for major roles except josh for burr

was lucky enough to get orch e1 on left center aisle

the cast was on fire

the contrast of michael and ryan a in the hamilton role 18 hours apart was about a 5x difference in energy presence acting and passion

michael lowouye is fricking unreal and gives the kind of deep emotive performance that reminded me a lot of ben platt who i saw exactly a week ago

solea gave one of her finest performances both emotionally and vocally-i was soooo happy to see her one final time

emmy is just so good show after show

i also really took time to focus on the emsemble and their group vocals and incredible dancing

im so so grateful to shn for grabbing hamilton first on the tour and every single member of this extraordinary touring cast.

the  best touring cast ive seen....

hen88
#282Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/7/17 at 8:22pm

I saw the closing night of Hamilton in SF (my 3rd time seeing it).  The dancing and ensemble work was sublime.  I'm also glad I got to see Michael Luwoye again as Hamilton.  His portrayal was so fiery and emotional.  He has really captured the richness and complexities of the role.  And his breakdown in "Quiet Uptown" just killed me.  The whole cast was in (except for Joshua Henry) and was in excellent form.  Ryan Alvarado was Burr.  I'm sorry to be negative, but he was totally miscast.  He simply didn't have the voice or presence to pull off the role.  While he isn't necessarily a bad actor, he just seemed to be out of his league in trying to assume such a big role with so many complexities and contradictions.  The evening truly belonged to Hamilton, while Burr seemed like a supporting character.  I also saw him play Hamilton the last time I saw it.  And he was actually even more forgettable in that role, which made it all about Burr.  Aside from vaguely resembling Lin Manuel Miranda, I wonder what they were thinking when they cast him to be the standby for such heavyweights as Joshua Henry and Michael Luwoye.

broadwaysfguy
#283Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/7/17 at 8:38pm

hen88

i like to always support actors when possible, and have to agree with you completely that after casting two complete heavyweights stars as hamilton and burr, casting Ryan Alvarado in either role is a huge letdown.

i saw him twice as burr and twice as hamilton and  his performances ranged from forgettable to wierd.... he just doesnt seem to have the acting depth, vocal nuance, and presence required for both these incredibly layered and challenging roles....

The good news for hamilton as a show is so incredible that i noticed casual theater goers who hadnt seen michael or josh and were thrilled to be seeing hamilton and seemed to be  fine with Ryan A or Ryan V (i liked his acting as burr, vocally a letdown) in as the leads.  I never like to see this happen on tours and hope someone at hamilton upgrades the understudies for the leads, and keeps the quality of those two lead roles extremely high.....

notalwaysontime
#284Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/8/17 at 3:29am

I, unfortunately, feel the same about Alvarado's Burr, I wasn't able tell if it was limited ability or choices he made, but it was lack luster. I found myself using his moments as a chance to scan the stage and pick up on movements from the ensemble and other actors, catching things I never noticed before because I was so engaged in the main focus.

I really really loved Vasquez's Burr though. I think He has a phenomenal voice, but agree it wasn't all it could be (yet!) I think if he gets the chance to play the role more and more, he can really be a powerhouse. (Like for example, Wait for it started off a little rough, not bad, just not very smooth, if that makes sense, but when the song picks up, so did he and he finished it very strong!) There were a few moments where I wondered if he was maybe tired, and really within two and a half weeks he played Washington Hamilton and Burr 4 times each, on top of his normal track, and this was his last SF performance as Burr that I saw, so that was a lot in such a short time, but I know he has the vocal chops, regardless, because I heard what he did with Washington and it's all there. I would be really really interested to see (or even just hear) him as burr after he gets a few more attempts under his belt.  His acting was spot on though, like his Hamilton, I really enjoyed how he made the part his own and during The World Was Wide Enough, it was the first time Burr ever made me cry. The emotion in his voice was so insane, and when he got to "I survived, but I paid for it." It was like he could barely get the words out. I feel like it's just a mater of time before he really breaks out, he's got all the pieces. 

Updated On: 8/8/17 at 03:29 AM

n.holden
#285Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/8/17 at 11:00am

I totally agree with everything you said about Vasquezs Burr. He started out a little shaky with Wait For It, but finished it strong. I think I even preferred his Room Where it Happens to Joshua's, though Joshua was definitely the best overall.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#286Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/8/17 at 12:25pm

http://www.sfchronicle.com/restaurants/article/Mid-Market-restaurants-brace-for-life-after-11740645.php

article from the SF Chronicle about "the Hamilton Effect" on restaurants and bars around the Orpheus Theater. The link is part of the paid subscription, but first timers accessing the site should get free views.  You can also wait a few days, as often articles on the paid site transfer to the free companion site, www.sfgate.com. 

If you can't access the link, there is nothing too surprising: Hamilton brought a much-needed jolt of revenue to the up-and-down mid-Market area. There was considerably more business than other shows at the Orpheus. Business was way up before and after the eight weekly performances. Restaurants rode the wave by creating Hamilton-themed menus and dishes. For SHNSF, the local producer, season ticket sales for next season stand at 35,000, down from 42,000 last season. 

notalwaysontime
#287Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/9/17 at 6:17am

n.holden said: "I totally agree with everything you said about Vasquezs Burr. He started out a little shaky with Wait For It, but finished it strong. I think I even preferred his Room Where it Happens to Joshua's, though Joshua was definitely the best overall."

Joshua is definitely better overall, but it's so hard to even try to compare when it comes to him. I think that's why I appreciated Vasquez's Ham and Burr so much. Michael and Joshua are such powerhouses, so he took the roles in different directions letting his performances be something you can completely appreciate on their own without being able to compare them, intentionally or otherwise. There were no traces of either performer when he was taking on the parts and that's definitely why I think he's really going to go places. The confidence he exuded in all three roles I saw him cover was palpable. I'm really excited to see where this all takes him. 

Updated On: 8/9/17 at 06:17 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#288Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/16/17 at 10:14am

The show ended up grossing $76 million in San Francisco. Amazing.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#289Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/16/17 at 10:16am

Over the 22 week run that's an average of 3.5 million a week. Good grief.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

broadwaysfguy
#290Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/16/17 at 2:23pm

That is an incredible revenue number...Ham producers and SHN must be very happy 

Chicago is a much bigger theatre-what has their weekly gross been?

376,164 people saw it in San Francisco-cool  probably a few less because of theatre nerds like me that went over and over!!!!!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#291Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/16/17 at 2:40pm

The Private bank theatre is actually smaller. It's capacity is around 1800. The Orpheum in San Fran can hold 2200. I think the Chicago production could be pulling in north of 2 million a week.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

bear88
#292Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/17/17 at 3:33am

So Hamilton had a bigger box office in San Francisco than on Broadway? Not surprising, I guess. Many more seats, sellouts every night, plenty of $500-plus seats sold. Limited run. I saw it twice at the Orpheum, then checked again when my older daughter was in town near the end of the run to see if I could get her a ticket in the $200 range. No dice.

Not hard to see why the show is returning in 2019. When a show becomes a must-see event, it draws all sorts of people who ordinarily don't bother with musicals.

notalwaysontime
#293Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/17/17 at 6:39am

Oh totally, my family never goes to see musicals. In the last 20ish years my parents have seen 3 musicals and one play. And one of those was Hamilton. the others were Phantom, Chicago which was only because my mom's work did a big thing where they took a huge group, cinderella which I pushed on them as a special mother's day out, and the play was for me on my 21st birthday because they thought it would be fun for me to finally get to see a live piece of theater since I loved it so much and had never been, so really, aside from phantom, hamilton is the only other show they ever said we NEED to see this, and considering how long phantom as been around and the status it holds, that's clearly saying something.

I still know of a handful of people on my facebook feed alone who never even managed to get tickets on this run, so i can only imagine how many wanted to but couldn't, so I think that's going to bode well for the show when it comes back around which I'm sure will be here before we know it. (I remember when they announced the tour it was about as far in advance and I thought it would be forever, but it was here in the blink of an eye) I am very sad however that we won't ever have this same cast again, I miss them so much already and I'm so sad I'll never see them as a group agian, but at the same time, I cannot wait to see what's in store for us cast wise the second time around. This group will be tough to top, but it also seemed like it would be hard to compare to the OBC and so far they've done a really good job at that.

anthonyhw
#294Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/27/17 at 3:07pm

I thought Amber Iman was one of the highlights for me.  She was INCREDIBLY sensual and her deep sultry voice was like butter...I immediately sat up in my chair and had goose bumps.  I don't understand what you mean that she doesn't look like someone that could seduce Hamilton.  Can you elaborate?

Cornelius Jones Jr.
#295Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/28/17 at 12:06am

It's great to see we have some die hard Hamilton fans, who truly love and adore the show. And some die hard fans that are overly critical of the work & process that goes into performing such a demanding show 8xs week that comes with a tsunami of expectations. 

It saddens me to read comments made by Big Apple2 and re quoted & signed off by broadwaysfguy about Amber Iman's portrayal of Maria Reynolds. I recently saw the show on 8/23 here in LA at The Pantages, and I must say that Amber Iman is not miscast, Amber Iman is PERFECTLY cast as Maria Reynolds. The casting and creative team did a fine job in selecting her for the dual role of Peggy Schuyler as well.  Amber Iman brings all the sultry and seductiveness that you would expect a sly seducing Maria Reynolds would be in conning and winning over the high profile figure Alexander Hamilton. Amber Iman's portrayal, her overall look, and buttery vocals reminded of a moment during my teenage years when I saw the legendary Opera Singer Denyce Graves portray the title role of Carmen in The Washington National Opera's production of "Carmen". Additionally, Amber's portrayal of Mariah was also reminiscent of Cynthia Harmon's portrayal of Bess in the 1993 televised version of Trevor Nunn's "Porgy & Bess."   Amber Iman is perfectly cast for the show, and I left the show wanting to know more and hear more from Maria Reynolds and Peggy. I know the show is written and we can't rewrite it 'cause it is perfect in the form that it's in, from my vantage point. But WOW... job well done when an actor, who has basically 5-minutes of a featured role, leave you wanting more!  

I don't know her personally and this was my first time ever hearing of her, but thank you Amber Iman for making a not so BIG role, a MEMORABLE role for my experience and the people around me.  WE LOVED YOU!

I will definitely look to see what she does in the future. 

Updated On: 8/28/17 at 12:06 AM

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#296Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 8/28/17 at 12:19am

When we saw the show in March in San Francisco my buddy referred to Amber's interpretation and performance as "haunting."  Meant of course in a very good way.