pixeltracker

Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor- Page 2

Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#25Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 3:33pm

little_sally said: "I see that the wording of my response was weird. What I meant essentially was there's not way Cott is a sure bet and there's no way Groban will have to battle for the 5th slot."

Ah! This makes sense! Haha.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#26Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 4:19pm

Because he's giving a better performance than Groban. Don't get me wrong, Josh is fantastic in Natasha, but Cott is slaying over there at Bandstand in a better, more demanding role. Groban and Benton will get in. Cott and Osnes will get in. Briones and Noblezada will be the ones left out.

My final prediction:

Pierce        Midler

Platt           Ebersole

Karl            Lupone 

Groban      Benton

Cott            Osnes

No Briones, no Noblezada. 

Updated On: 4/19/17 at 04:19 PM

neonlightsxo
#27Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 4:56pm

"Because he's giving a better performance than Groban. Don't get me wrong, Josh is fantastic in Natasha, but Cott is slaying over there at Bandstand in a better, more demanding role"

LOL

The Tony Awards have never been about who's giving a better performance. That is some childlike naivete.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#28Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 6:07pm

It's also factually untrue.  Cott is NOT giving a better performance than Groban.  His acting really is atrocious.

Butter Broadway
#29Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 6:19pm

Wow you're the only one i've heard say that. People have had only good things to say about him.

Liza's Headband
#30Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 6:46pm

bjh2114 said: "It's also factually untrue.  Cott is NOT giving a better performance than Groban.  His acting really is atrocious.

"

You cannot quantitatively measure a performance, so there's no way it could be factually true or untrue. With the exception of vocal execution (i.e. singing the notes on a written sheet of music), a performance can only be subjective. End of story. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#31Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 6:52pm

"You cannot quantitatively measure a performance, so there's no way it could be factually true or untrue."

Well too bad 'cause I just did. When you "act" by indicating every word that comes out of your mouth, that's shmacting.  That's what Corey Cott did when I saw him last night.  It was egregiously amateur.  Can he sing the house down? Yes.  But his acting was straight out of a high school play.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#32Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 7:06pm

Butter Broadway said: "Wow you're the only one i've heard say that. People have had only good things to say about him.

"

Maybe you should go out and meet more people

Butter Broadway
#33Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 7:11pm

I do know a lot of people. Did u feel that way?

Liza's Headband
#34Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 9:12pm

Go away, Philly Pinto. 

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#35Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 9:35pm

Liza's Headband said: "You cannot quantitatively measure a performance, so there's no way it could be factually true or untrue. With the exception of vocal execution (i.e. singing the notes on a written sheet of music), a performance can only be subjective. End of story. 

"

The statement above is indicative only of your lack of education. Scholars, critics and philosophers have been evaluating acting objectively for 2,500 years; and they have produced thousands of pages of criteria in the process.

Acting may be evaluated objectively in terms of practical skills such as vocal projection and physical dexterity, verisimilitude, and appropriateness to both the character's action and the overall action of the play. This is just a partial list.

The fact that somebody somewhere will like even the worst performance only proves that a subjective response may outweigh objective criteria. It doesn't prove the latter don't exist.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#36Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/19/17 at 10:31pm

The opening should be Jake singing Putting It Together. It is a no brainer.

djoko84
#37Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:26am

Why do people on here take his articles seriously? Really?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#38Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/20/17 at 7:30am

For Best Actress, I think that Bette Midler is a lock.  Though I love Patti LuPone to bits, I get the sense that Tony voters are getting ready to hand the trophy to the divine Bette.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

neonlightsxo
#39Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:37am

Liza's Headband said: "Go away, Philly Pinto. "

I know, right? I called out his last username and then he created this stupid one. Pinto, we don't want you here.

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#40Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:41am

Is Groban a lead because he's Groban? He does nothing for 75% of the show. The Anatole character has vastly more story than Pierre.

neonlightsxo
#41Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:42am

The committee whose job it is to decide those things already decided he's a lead. He's above the title so is automatically a lead.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#42Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/20/17 at 8:43am

SDV said: "Is Groban a lead because he's Groban? He does nothing for 75% of the show. The Anatole character has vastly more story than Pierre."

Groban is a lead because the producers put him above the title.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 4/20/17 at 08:43 AM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#43Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:41am

GavestonPS said: "Liza's Headband said: "You cannot quantitatively measure a performance, so there's no way it could be factually true or untrue. With the exception of vocal execution (i.e. singing the notes on a written sheet of music), a performance can only be subjective. End of story. 

"

The statement above is indicative only of your lack of education. Scholars, critics and philosophers have been evaluating acting objectively for 2,500 years; and they have produced thousands of pages of criteria in the process.

Acting may be evaluated objectively in terms of practical skills such as vocal projection and physical dexterity, verisimilitude, and appropriateness to both the character's action and the overall action of the play. This is just a partial list.

The fact that somebody somewhere will like even the worst performance only proves that a subjective response may outweigh objective criteria. It doesn't prove the latter don't exist.
"

Gaveston, yes, some relatively standardized objectives can be applied to the craft. 

But how are verisimilitude and appropriateness of interpretation of role and text objective performance attributes?  As we see constantly, working pros, critics as well as ordinary viewers disagree - often even among themselves - on the value to assign acting performances along these exact criteria. 

What may be seen by one viewer as truthful another may not buy at all.  What may be seen as an appropriate and well executed interpretation by one viewer may be seen as a safe and unimaginative, even boring, one by another and a novel, compelling one by yet another; just as those same viewers might perhaps have very different interpretations of the text itself and, often, very formative previous experiences seeing it enacted in very different ways. 

One viewer's ingeniously and archtypically animated Richard III may be another's obviously and stereotypically hacked schemer.  One viewer's sassy vivacious Hildy Esterhazy is another's vulgar debasement. 

Even a single viewer's response to a performance might be strongly affected by mood or any number of extrinsic factors. And, as often noted in our responses to acting on screen, might change dramatically from one viewing to another.

"The "Tune is in the Tree—"
The Skeptic—showeth me—
"No Sir! In Thee!" "
Dickinson

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 09:41 AM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#44Riedel on Spacey hosting and his nominees for Best Actor
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:13am

If Corey Cott or Laura Osnes gets nominated for Bandstand, it will be the most ridiculous f up ever.  Corey Cott is giving a better performance than Briones or Groban?  I think not.  Laura Osnes (as much as I love her) over Noblezada or Benton?  LOL.