pixeltracker

Riedel on Kevin Kline's Lack of Tony Campaigns- Page 2

Riedel on Kevin Kline's Lack of Tony Campaigns

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#25Riedel on Kevin Kline's Lack of Tony Campaigns
Posted: 5/5/17 at 5:47pm

Maybe Kline was afraid of a situation like Holly Hunter at the Oscars where Roger Ebert was hosting a red carpet show and told her point blank that on his and Gene Siskel's show, they voted her nomination for The Firm as the year's worst. Her response was an icy, sardonic "What a lovely thing to say."

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#26Riedel on Kevin Kline's Lack of Tony Campaigns
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:35pm

Tag said: "Maybe if you're a young person at the beginning of a career. But folks like Kevin Kline and Bette Midler will never have to hustle for work again. They can afford not to care.

Yes, tell that to Bette and that Hocus Pocus sequel she wants to get made.  Or to Barbra and her little Gypsy project….

"

Agreed. Obviously someone hasn't watched FEUD yet. 

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#27Riedel on Kevin Kline's Lack of Tony Campaigns
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:36pm

Also... sorry but this is one of my favorite plays which I have seen several times in my life and Kline's interpretation was my least favorite... the kid I saw perform it in a college production got more laughs. 

Fordham2015
#28Riedel on Kevin Kline's Lack of Tony Campaigns
Posted: 5/5/17 at 10:02pm

Kline was on Colbert right before previews started- they get along very well.

I thought Kline was hilarious, and he'd be a worthy winner. But I agree with the commenters who say Cooper's work in Doll's House was equally deserving- he and Metcalf are great together, especially in that last scene. "I can't ****ing win with you!"

MrPeach
#29Riedel on Kevin Kline's Lack of Tony Campaigns
Posted: 5/5/17 at 11:28pm

Please don't underestimate Denis Arndt. I will always be curious how much more likely of a win he would have on Tony night if Heisenberg was still running. His performance in that show was very win-worthy. But with no nom for Best Play or Mary-Louise Parker, I don't believe he'll get more than this nomination. Campaign or not -- and with no Glick + Nathan Lane being in Featured -- this category has become a bit of a cakewalk for Kline.

Updated On: 5/8/17 at 11:28 PM

bear88
#30Riedel on Kevin Kline's Lack of Tony Campaigns
Posted: 5/8/17 at 3:28pm

HogansHero said: "bear88 said: "The trouble with all of this is that everyone bemoans the difficulty of mounting a financially successful play, even on Broadway, where big stars like Kline appear. When actors in well-reviewed plays don't bother trying to promote them, how does that help? "

Reality check: the show is the top grossing play on Broadway, and is grossing more than 8 musicals. People go to see Kline because he is a great actor, not because he is doing a lot of interviews and glad handing with reporters. As I said before, this is just the sick American media being itself. 

"

HogansHero, I concede your point on the play's success. Might it be doing even better if Kline, the star, made more of an effort to promote it? Perhaps, but it might not matter at all. A profile in the Times isn't that big of a deal for an established actor in a play. And the producers certainly knew they were getting an actor who hated doing promotional stuff. It seems to be working out for everyone.

bloomerific
#31Riedel on Kevin Kline's Lack of Tony Campaigns
Posted: 5/9/17 at 9:37am

Personally, Riedel's "...which is avidly read by over 800 Tony voters..." is just ridiculous. I know his self-serving nature of his columns have kept him with a job, but omg. What a tool!

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#32Riedel on Kevin Kline's Lack of Tony Campaigns
Posted: 5/9/17 at 10:00am

bloomerific said: "Personally, Riedel's "...which is avidly read by over 800 Tony voters..." is just ridiculous. I know his self-serving nature of his columns have kept him with a job, but omg. What a tool!"

Verrrrry egotistical. I wonder if that is actually him or a persona? Why would some Tony voters who are actors themselves waste their time with his column?