pixeltracker

WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording- Page 2

WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#25WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 11:09pm

I think that this is a score that people will learn to love with repeated listening.  Korie's lyrics are wonderfully complex and I wish that they were more appreciated.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#26WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 11:44pm

WAR PAINT is the album (How old are we, anyway? Didn't the kids outlaw that word?) I have most anticipated this season. I love GREY GARDENS and especially FAR FROM HEAVEN and I have trouble imagining the guys suddenly lost their talent while inspired by Ebersole and LuPone.

broadwayboy223
#27WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/12/17 at 11:48pm

GavestonPS said: "WAR PAINT is the album (How old are we, anyway? Didn't the kids outlaw that word?) I have most anticipated this season. I love GREY GARDENS and especially FAR FROM HEAVEN and I have trouble imagining the guys suddenly lost their talent while inspired by Ebersole and LuPone.

"

The score is wonderful. While some don't like it I found it totally thrilling and complex. The duets in this show between Patti and Christine are SUBLIME 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#28WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:11pm

If I'd Been a Man is also now on iTunes. Sounds great and more melodic/'soaring' than I remember it to be, though find it a bit unintentionally camp at times e.g., "it's the curse of my gender" and "what man has half the balls that I have" - lol. Not sure what I think about the low energy dissonant ending either. 

Still, can't wait for the full album!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

icecreambenjamin
#29WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:17pm

Those orchestrations are beautiful!!!!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:39pm

Wow, it sounds great. The more we hear of the recording, it's becoming more evident that this score should've been nominated for the Tony. People are definitely going to appreciate the score more once the full recording is available. 

icecreambenjamin
#31WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:43pm

I was actually really sad when this score wasn't nominated for at least "Pink" alone.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#32WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:59pm

I personally think it should have been nominated instead of "Come From Away". 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

icecreambenjamin
#33WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/19/17 at 12:18am

qolbinau said: "I personally think it should have been nominated instead of "Come From Away". 

I know that it's an unpopular opinion, but I really agree.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#34WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/19/17 at 12:38am

ljay889 said: "Wow, it sounds great. The more we hear of the recording, it's becoming more evident that this score should've been nominated for the Tony. People are definitely going to appreciate the score more once the full recording is available."

It's a crime it wasn't nominated over GROUNDHOG DAY. I listened to the cast recording once, and besides maybe one song I don't plan on listening to it again. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#35WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/19/17 at 12:41am

IdinaBellFoster said: "ljay889 said: "Wow, it sounds great. The more we hear of the recording, it's becoming more evident that this score should've been nominated for the Tony. People are definitely going to appreciate the score more once the full recording is available."

It's a crime it wasn't nominated over GROUNDHOG DAY. I listened to the cast recording once, and besides maybe one song I don't plan on listening to it again. 
"

Goes to show how different opinions can be: you couldn't pay me to listen to War Paint's score again after seeing the show, but I listen to Groundhog Day daily. 

icecreambenjamin
#36WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/19/17 at 12:44am

^ Ok?  Then why are you here?

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#37WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/19/17 at 12:55am

^ Uh, this is a Broadway themed message board, and I, a Broadway fan, read it? Can I not respond to a thread I've read just because I don't share the popular opinion?

Updated On: 5/19/17 at 12:55 AM

icecreambenjamin
#38WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/19/17 at 1:32am

^ Why do you have to enter this thread and feel the need to commet something slightly aggressive and negative?

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#39WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/19/17 at 5:03am

icecreambenjamin said: "^ Why do you have to enter this thread and feel the need to commet something slightly aggressive and negative?"

They were making a point about the difference in opinion. They weren't trashing the show, and there are bigger issues to get upset about. Calm down. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#40WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/19/17 at 7:04am

Peron does seem to bash the show whenever he can, he also thought neither leading lady was getting a nomination.........

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#41WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/19/17 at 7:34am

The more I hear of this score the more I truly enjoy it!  I have to say I saw CFA, and have attempted several times to listen to GD-and I agree that I find both of those scores not much fun.  CFA was thrilling to watch in the theater, but I think it's one of those shows that aside from that-I'll never listen to the album.

The reverse can also be said of shows with great scores that fall flat on stage.  I began listening to Amelie this morning, and find the score to be utterly charming.  I'm sure the show wasn't much to write home about though...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#42WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/22/17 at 6:19pm

If they follow the recent trends could we expect an NPR stream any day now?

icecreambenjamin
#43WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/22/17 at 6:28pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "icecreambenjamin said: "^ Why do you have to enter this thread and feel the need to commet something slightly aggressive and negative?"

They were making a point about the difference in opinion. They weren't trashing the show, and there are bigger issues to get upset about. Calm down. 

You clearly don't know of Peron's love of trashing War Paint.  Don't belittle me, honey.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#44WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/22/17 at 6:36pm

Ok, Benjamin. Please don't ever comment on a thread about a show I enjoy that you don't. Because that's how you think message boards should work. cheeky

icecreambenjamin
#45WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/22/17 at 6:41pm

VotePeron said: "Ok, Benjamin. Please don't ever comment on a thread about a show I enjoy that you don't. Because that's how you think message boards should work. cheeky

Shashay away, boo.  And change your username to something that doesn't low-key promote the voting of a notorious dictator.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#46WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/22/17 at 7:47pm

Wouldn't say you're in a position to be giving username critique, Mr. IceCreamBenjamin

icecreambenjamin
#47WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/22/17 at 9:21pm

VotePeron said: "Wouldn't say you're in a position to be giving username critique, Mr. IceCreamBenjamin

For your information, my name is a reference to She Loves Me and Sweeney Todd, two of my longtime favorite musicals.  Yours is just trashy, like your whole personality.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#48WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/24/17 at 3:10pm

Vulture has an exclusive stream of "Pink". Ebersole sounds magnificent!

I can't wait for the full recording!

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/listen-to-christine-ebersoles-pink-in-war-paint.html

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#49WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording
Posted: 5/24/17 at 3:16pm

Release date for the full recording on iTunes is Friday; I look forward to hearing more. Although the show wasn't entirely satisfying in the theatre, I think it's easily my favorite score of the season; worlds better than the plodding, dialogue-filled Come From Away score, and more theatrical and character-driven than Comet and Hansen (for me).