WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1NAPOLI, BROOKLYN
Posted: 6/12/17 at 12:28pm

Has anyone seen this yet?  Thoughts?

tomwsjr
#2NAPOLI, BROOKLYN
Posted: 6/12/17 at 8:18pm

It recently played here in new haven, Ct at the long ward theatre, word of mouth and reviews were tepid at best.  I didn't bother seeing it. 

newsie20841
#3NAPOLI, BROOKLYN
Posted: 6/13/17 at 8:41pm

Has anyone seen this off-Broadway yet?  I am considering taking my mom to see this and would love to know what people think.  (In particular, is the setting in Brooklyn especially meaningful?  My mom was a child in Brooklyn around the time the play is set.)

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#4NAPOLI, BROOKLYN
Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:55pm

I've been curious about this, even did a search here and couldn't find anything. I might end up seeing it soon anyway since I've seen basically everything currently on Broadway. 

msbungee
#5NAPOLI, BROOKLYN
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:13pm

Saw this at the Long Wharf in New Haven. IMO, it's fantastic. Four other girls attended with me and a few walked out in tears. 

I don't know about Brooklyn, but it definitely speaks on immigrants and the power of sisterhood. I really loved it!

Miss Jezebel DuPree2
#6NAPOLI, BROOKLYN
Posted: 7/6/17 at 9:35am

No buzz?  Really interested in this show...

AEA AGMA SM
#7NAPOLI, BROOKLYN
Posted: 7/6/17 at 10:37am

newsie20841 said: "Has anyone seen this off-Broadway yet?  I am considering taking my mom to see this and would love to know what people think.  (In particular, is the setting in Brooklyn especially meaningful?  My mom was a child in Brooklyn around the time the play is set.)"

Yes, there is a major plot point that centers around a true life historical event, so it being set in that specific time and location is important.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#8NAPOLI, BROOKLYN
Posted: 7/6/17 at 11:18am

I was disappointed in this play. I was intrigued by the setting and the idea of exploring an Italian immigrant family. But I thought the characters were all either stereotypes or shallowly portrayed.

Tell you the truth, it didn't seem Brooklyn centric to me either. Yes, the plot hinges on a real-life occurrence, so the plot is specific to the time and place, at least in theory. But I didn't feel the connection between the event and the  effect it had on the characters' lives was developed enough. Plus, the accents were terrible. They really took me out of the proceedings. I saw an early preview, so hopefully they're better by now. 

Alfie6
#9NAPOLI, BROOKLYN
Posted: 7/6/17 at 12:57pm

I thought the show was fine and enjoyable but not something I recommend as an absolute must-see. It was heartwarming and  well-acted but I found it mostly forgettable. The best performances for me came from Alyssa Bresnahan and Juliet Brett. I recommend leaving your seat and going to the lobby during intermission for a small exhibit relating to the historical events of the play.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#10NAPOLI, BROOKLYN
Posted: 7/6/17 at 1:15pm

I wasn't expecting much from this but it did exceed expectations. It was an enjoyable afternoon in the theater but nothing I'd really recommend. There's lots to like about it, and the cast is overall very strong, but there's nothing very surprising about the play overall.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.