Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017- Page 2

Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#25Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 11:00am

evic said: "They didn't make a dime.   Send it away

"

Wow - how fortunate we are that one of the investors of the production chimes  in on here...

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#26Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 11:05am

trpguyy said: "bryan32 said: "I guess they wll be kicking them self for not doing a cast cd"

Not at all. A cast recording would have been a terrible investment to make (there are already countless recordings)... now imagine spending all that money to make a recording and then have the show close shortly after. 

"

I wouldn't say countless, lol, well English ones, they are only 3 and one is hard to find. But i agree that a new one would have been financially pointless, although I would have liked a few of the minor changes and the major Rumpus Cat change preserved on a 'legit' recording.

I'll still miss the show, as a fan, even though I did not like the journey to the heaviside lair and would have liked more of the set extended into the mezz.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#27Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 11:09am

chernjam said: "evic said: "They didn't make a dime.   Send it away

"Wow - how fortunate we are that one of the investors of the production chimes  in on here...
"

Well they didn't recoup, and I doubt they'll come close.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

trpguyy
#28Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 11:52am

Probably true, but recouping on Broadway wasn't exactly the purpose of the revival.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#29Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 12:11pm

Theyll send it out as a new tour and make $$$ for the next 10 years 

rg7759
#31Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 12:55pm

Dolly was needed, Glenn in sunset was needed, the color purple with Cynthia was needed, obviously the Chicago revived has served a purpose, chenoweth in 20th century, LA cage.

evic
#32Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 1:17pm

Recouping wasn't the purpose of this revival? No- they spent 8-10 million dollars on a show that no o clamoring to see just for the fun of it. . It will take them uite a while to recoup on the road. It is an old tired show that even people in Kansas City will stay away fr

evic
#33Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 1:17pm

Recouping wasn't the purpose of this revival? No- they spent 8-10 million dollars on a show that no o clamoring to see just for the fun of it. . It will take them uite a while to recoup on the road. It is an old tired show that even people in Kansas City will stay away fr

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#35Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 1:56pm

To me, the criteria that must both be met for a revival to be "needed" are:

1. The new director/producer has something fresh to bring to the piece.

2. It's been more than 15 years since the last major NYC production.

This revival of Cats only met one of these criteria.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#37Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 3:12pm

It really seems that the revival came about because the limited revivals for two Christmas Seasons in London were big hits at the Paladium (which is a huge venue).  The American producers took a gamble on bringing it back here.  Unfortunately they didn't get a name to open it and generate even more buzz.  But it's had respectable grosses for most of the run and I'm thinking that the advance must be healthy enough/tourists coming in that they're giving it till December 30th.  

I'm not a fan by any stretch of the imagination.  Saw the original production once and really disliked it (liked some of the music, but was kind of bored/fell asleep during the performance) but I'm not repulsed by the mere presence of Cats on broadway as some seem to be...

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#38Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 3:16pm

I never claimed my criteria were perfect. There are exceptions to everything. And just because I do feel it was too soon to revive Color Purple, doesn't mean I'm not grateful we got Cynthia Erivo out of it.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

trpguyy
#39Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 6/22/17 at 3:50pm

evic said: "Recouping wasn't the purpose of this revival? No- they spent 8-10 million dollars on a show that no o clamoring to see just for the fun of it. . It will take them uite a while to recoup on the road. It is an old tired show that even people in Kansas City will stay away fr"

ALW wanted to have some fun in NYC again, and now that it's being sent out an a "new" production, it will make a killing on the road (as it always did).

Catsbroadwayfan
#40Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 10/9/18 at 7:35pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "Sad for those who will be out of work - but this revival was so unnecessary."

I disagree. From the Youtube videos I have watched it looks good. A shame I couldnt see it. LONG LIVE CATS! 

MauraLovesMusicals
#41Revival of CATS closing on December 30, 2017
Posted: 10/9/18 at 8:07pm

Catsbroadwayfan said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "Sad for those who will be out of work - but this revival was so unnecessary."

I disagree. From the Youtube videos I have watched it looks good. A shame I couldnt see it. LONG LIVE CATS!
"

dude, why did you bump a thead from like, a year ago?