pixeltracker

THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?- Page 3

THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?

smidge
#50THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?
Posted: 9/15/17 at 9:01am

Don't know if this was mentioned before but we're extremely fortunate to have a season with Boys in the Band, Torch Song and Angels.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#51THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?
Posted: 9/15/17 at 12:29pm

Kad said: "Boys in the Band may be outdated, but I'll certainly take it over the hackneyedtopical gay issue dramas that pop up off-Broadway every season."

THIS. I happen not to care for the play because it is indeed outdated and uncomfortable to watch for gay men today, as newintown said.

But I revile the upper middle class white gay plays that pop up every season. As Jesse Green put it perfectly: "Mr. and Mr. debating fidelity and diapers in CB2 living rooms." Blech.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#52THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?
Posted: 9/15/17 at 12:37pm

True, true - I would much rather watch The Boys again rather than sit through trite idiocies like Dada Woof Papa Hot or the current and ridiculous Afterglow (even with its frequent [sexless] nudity).

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#53THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?
Posted: 9/16/17 at 11:05am

Watched the movie again in August. Harold was and is a great character, in many ways timeless, even Frey's still remarkably powerful performance feels like it could be accurate in 2017.  Here's a successful self-made man who pays his bills, knows exactly who he is, and even when confronted with evidence that his loyalty isn't entirely earned has room in his life (and heart) for someone far less evolved -- Michael.  Harold is the party guest, the fulcrum, and as compassionate critic, Harold gets to deliver the withering indictment of the host. And a kind of life that must end.  He's both truthspeaker and as a moral compass, a sage: the voice of the future.  The play now reads more as an expose of Michael's paralysis, stuck in the past, and using Alan as a trigger for an age-related meltdown. A production that frames Harold -- in casting and direction -- might be remarkably focused on issues that transcend the era.  Just my two cents, but I invite anyone to take a new look at it with this perspectve

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 9/16/17 at 11:05 AM

mamaleh
#54THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?
Posted: 9/16/17 at 11:50am

Harold has some of the best lines, such as "Life's a goddamn laugh riot."  Or my favorite: "How about a year from Shavuos?"  

Both would look great on a T-shirt. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#55THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?
Posted: 9/16/17 at 12:38pm

What's the buzz about casting for this? Any idea which theater it might grab if does indeed come this season? 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#56THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?
Posted: 9/16/17 at 1:51pm

Auggie...that is a smart analysis, and would be an excellent directorial choice. Harold is the focal point, or should be.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#57THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?
Posted: 10/14/17 at 3:42pm

I know that Bomer has hinted about this when his Amazon show was coming out, but there hasn't been any news.  Is it still happening?

Gizmo6
#58THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?
Posted: 10/14/17 at 4:40pm

The London revival last year was framed around Harold.

https://www.wyp.org.uk/events/the-boys-in-the-band/

Updated On: 10/14/17 at 04:40 PM