Miss Saigon + racism

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#50Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/11/17 at 11:18pm

I think we all whitesplained very successfully Miss Saigon + racism

I have been on this board for almost thirteen years. I'm not quite sure why I expected us to actually have a fruitful discussion.

"Kill...me..."

- This Thread

binau Profile Photo
binau
#51Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/11/17 at 11:56pm

I'd hate to be a white straight male (aka the scum of the earth) in today's political climate. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

binau Profile Photo
binau
#52Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 12:01am

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#53Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 12:13am

Yes, we are inherently scummy and take a nice morning swim in our privilege every day after feasting on the hopes and dreams of black lesbian babies for breakfast.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#54Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 12:58am

This thread makes me weep for the future of free speech.

A Director
#55Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 1:08am

BroadwayConcierge said: "This thread makes me weep for the future of free speech.

Fake Weeping!  When it comes to racism, this thread is typical of others on the topic.  These days, I am worried about the POTUS, the AG, the DOJ and the GOP!  They are a major threat to free speech!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#56Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 1:31am

Well, this thread really went south!

Whoops, I suppose that was my Northern Hemispheric privilege speaking!

Too bad, because I think we demonstrated that terms like "whitesplaining" and "calling whites on their $hit" are just as limiting (and just as hostile, even from other white people) as addressing a racial minority as "you people".

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#57Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 4:15am

The fact that Jonathan Pryce was cast as the Engineer in the original production is the clearest indication of the level of intelligence applied to this project from its inception.

Out of interest, does anyone know if any of the proceeds of this cash cow have been donated to supporting victims of the conflict?

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#58Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 7:02am

We should donate money to you to seek help.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#59Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 7:02am

We should donate money to you to seek help.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#60Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 8:39am

BroadwayConcierge said: "This thread makes me weep for the future of free speech."

Unless posts have been deleted because someone - like an agent of the State - has used the threat of force to have them deleted, no one's free speech has been in any way compromised in this thread. All I see is people expressing their opinions on a sensitive topic, and critiquing others' opinions, in a spirited fashion. This thread is an example of the robustness of free speech in America, not a sign of its demise.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#61Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 11:33am

A bunch of white people arguing over who is RIGHT about race issues....

You assume they are all white?  Sounds like you've decided who is right.  Which race are you?  Which race is allowed to participate in the discussion?  Which race is right?  

This thread makes me weep for the future of free speech.

Then you should probably google "free speech" and learn what it is because you are clearly confused on the concept.  Your bright orange leader is a glowing example of why you should be weeping for the future of free speech.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#62Miss Saigon + racism
Posted: 7/12/17 at 11:57am

BroadwayConcierge said: "This thread makes me weep for the future of free speech."

Says the Trump voter.