Falsettos on BroadwayHD

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#25Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/15/17 at 10:06am

theaterdude2 said: "Hi Margo, I had no idea that a video recording of Carousel existed. Is this the one with Michael Hayden and Audra? If so, where can I find it..?"

Margo is referring to the concert version with Kelli O'Hara & Jessie Mueller.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Margo319
#26Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/15/17 at 2:35pm

Kello O'Hara and Nathan Gunn yes.  Amazing performances, and I don't know why it took them so long to release it.  

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#27Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/15/17 at 3:10pm

I saw the original Broadway run a few times and this doesn't really pack the same punch at all. E for effort. 

I guess it's lucky I didn't see it on Broadway because watching the broadcast provided a huge punch to everyone in my group.  We were all sobbing.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Margo319
#28Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/15/17 at 3:13pm

Yes, me too, it was so wonderful and beautifully shot. 

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#29Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/15/17 at 3:51pm

Mister Matt said: "I saw the original Broadway run a few times and this doesn't really pack the same punch at all. E for effort. 

I guess it's lucky I didn't see it on Broadway because watching the broadcast provided a huge punch to everyone in my group.  We were all sobbing.

"

Ditto for the audience where I saw it--both times. This is probably my favorite filming of a live stage show ever!

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#30Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/15/17 at 5:53pm

In addition to streaming, Falsettos still has some cinema screenings scheduled over the next few weeks.

http://screenvisionmedia.com/events/falsettos/

They've just added a showing at a local art house theater near me for next week, so am seriously considering seeing it again (for the 3rd time).

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#31Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/16/17 at 1:49am

Mister Matt said: "I saw the original Broadway run a few times and this doesn't really pack the same punch at all. E for effort. 

"

I meant the original Broadway production in the 90s. I feel this one doesn't come even close as to how impactful thst production was. Block has nothing on Barbara Walsh. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#32Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/16/17 at 2:06am

^Hmmmm, I saw the original too and I must admit that I found this revival cast superior.  I prefered the original staging for some moments, but I really thought that the performers here were absolutely sensational.  I was more moved by this production.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#33Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/16/17 at 3:43am

To me this production seemed more like a concert version. What was with the city back drop and those curtains?  The theater's back wall would have worked better.

I also found it brought nothing new to the piece. The performers were good, and I think that is what made this revival worth it, but it didn't have Finn's neurotic characters in full display, they seemed too introspective.. Knowing the piece well didn't help me with the comparisons. 

Also, was the audience always this timid?  First time I see one of these taped performances that ends in quiet applause and no standing ovation. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#34Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/16/17 at 4:41am

^Yeah I really didn't care much for the set.  I know what you're saying about the cast.  They seemed to take a slightly less neurotic and almost more reserved approach to the characters, which I actually enjoyed more.  As for the audience response, the way in which the audio was mixed on this recording is rather odd.  The orchestra and audience aren't more than a faint whisper, which certainly wasn't the case either time that I saw it live.  As for the lack of a standing O, the couple of times that I saw the OBC and with Patinkin, the audience did not stand, but the sniffles always spoke for themselves.  It was the same case with this production.  It's just not an ending that makes you want to leap to your feet.

Basically, I do wish this production had a better set, but I thought this production had more heart than the OBC and really wish that they had made it an open ended run.  It'd probably still be running due to it's newly founded cult following.

MB0610
#35Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/17/17 at 1:33pm

For those of you who know more about BroadwayHD, is there a way to stream it to a TV using an Amazon fire stick or Chromecast? It seems like watching it not on a laptop is a hassle.

Margo319
#36Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/17/17 at 1:41pm

Scroll down to how to use on Chomecast.

https://www.broadwayhd.com/index.php/info/how_to_watch

schubox
#37Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/17/17 at 2:06pm

I had mixed feeling on the set, but the way they used it in the final scene was heartbreaking. 

The recording does seem to muffle the audience (I'm basing this off seeing it on Broadway vs seeing it in the theater). When I saw it live the applause was quite loud. I'm breaking Down got huge applause and the end got a subdued, at first, standing ovation that got stronger the longer it lasted. Most people, myself included, were too overcome with emotion to go too big right away. 

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#38Falsettos on BroadwayHD
Posted: 8/17/17 at 10:37pm

Margo319 said: "YEAH! This is SO wonderful! I was not about to go to a theater where people might open their cell phones and annoy me.  And yes, you can buy it, and add it to your library.   smiley

Believe me when i saw this wonderfully touching musical in the theatre on the big screen...no one in my theatre opened their cell phones,  in fact the only sounds heard were those of sobbing and at the end and some clapping after certain numbers...the audience was very respectful....i was thrilled to see this on the BIG SCREEN!!

"