Deconstructing Patti

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#1Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/25/17 at 2:01am

Anyone go tonight?? Anxious to hear how it was! Would also love a song list! 

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#2Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/25/17 at 2:58am

It was incredible. Lots of stories. Some from her book and some that I've never heard before. 2 hours and 15 intermissionless minutes of bliss! Here's what I remember of the program:

1. Some People
  2. Sleepy Man
  3. As Long as He Needs Me
  4. I Dreamed a Dream
  5. Valjean's Death (with Frances Ruffelle)
  6. On My Own (Frances Ruffelle)
  7. Trouble
  8. You’re the Top (with Howard McGillin)
  9. High Flying Adored (with Raúl Esparza)
  10. Rainbow High
  11. Eva and Magaldi
  12. Buenos Aires
  13. Face to Face (with Christine Ebersole)
  14. The Ladies Who Lunch
  15. With One Look

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott
Updated On: 9/25/17 at 02:58 AM

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#3Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/25/17 at 7:39am

She hobbled across the stage in heels and belted her face off. The show was really amazing, even better than I could have imagined. Buenos Aires was the best surprise I could have asked for.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#4Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/25/17 at 8:37am

It was a night to remember and with all the extra performers a once in a lifetime experience.  Mark Cortale has been producing these shows around the country and so glad he brought this one to NYC.  Patti was in top form.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#5Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/25/17 at 8:39am

Oh, as an extra, they auctioned off notes that she writes while sitting at the desk during WarPaint when Christine is singing.  I don't think they said how many notes were in the pile but it sold for $7,000.  The buyer is also going to get drinks with Patti at the St. Regis where she'll read some of the notes.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#6Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/25/17 at 8:49am

raddersons said: "She hobbled across the stage in heels and belted her face off.The show was really amazing, even better than I could have imagined. Buenos Aires was the best surprise I could have asked for."

I feel like it’s worth clarifying that she was hobbling around the stage because she needs hip replacement surgery (I can’t remember if she specified needing both replaced or not), and refused to take off her heels. That’s one of the reasons she wanted War Paint to be her last musical: she’s injured herself before and didn’t think her body could handle it again. 

But other than being extremely uncomfortable watching her hobble around the stage, it was SUCH a great night. 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#7Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/25/17 at 2:04pm

BuddyStarr said: "Oh, as an extra, they auctioned off notes that she writes while sitting at the desk during WarPaint when Christine is singing. I don't think they said how many notes were in the pile but it sold for $7,000. The buyer is also going to get drinks with Patti at the St. Regis where she'll read some of the notes."

To add, they were mostly just notes about the audience, but there were a few doodles and other things other than that. She read a few. My favorite was something along the lines of: "This audience is loving it, but not as much as I'm loving the Comet scandal"

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#8Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/25/17 at 2:24pm

raddersons said: "BuddyStarr said: "Oh, as an extra, they auctioned off notes that she writes while sitting at the desk during WarPaint when Christine is singing. I don't think they said how many notes were in the pile but it sold for $7,000. The buyer is also going to get drinks with Patti at the St. Regis where she'll read some of the notes."

To add, they were mostly just notes about the audience, but there were a few doodles and other things other than that. She read a few. My favorite was something along the lines of: "This audience is loving it, but not as much as I'm loving the Comet scandal"
"

I did wonder if the person buying it would even be able to read her handwriting which is why she offered to read some of them. Regardless, it is a treasure and a worthy cause.

rg7759
#9Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/25/17 at 2:25pm

That's a really distorting what she said. She didn't say shes loving it, she said she found the Scandal interesting. she also gave props to Glenn before doing with one look

hmph Profile Photo
hmph
#10Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/26/17 at 9:14am

She apparently wrote "well, it's a nice Saturday matinee, love the audience, but the Comet scandal is most exciting." They were originally going to give it to someone for $2,000, but realized it could go for more money and Patti offered to have drinks (not dinner!) with the winning bid. I'd probably crap my pants if I had won. It was a fun night! 

BroadwayJeffrey
#11Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/26/17 at 7:28pm

Still no video to be found?    Am I missing something?

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#12Deconstructing Patti
Posted: 9/27/17 at 8:27am

BroadwayJeffrey said: "Still no video to be found? Am I missing something?"

It's a Patti LuPone show...you really have to ask?  Someone was trying to film in the rear mezzanine but the usher shut that down quickly because it's so distracting.  Patti herself made the announcement about no cell phones and no recording.  I did see a few people pull out their phones for the last song she sang when the audience was all up on its feet.