pixeltracker

Is "Significant Other" worth seeing? - Page 2

Is "Significant Other" worth seeing?

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#25Is
Posted: 11/4/17 at 11:18pm

I saw it tonight and LOVED IT. Maybe it's because I am a 26 year old gay man, but I thoroughly enjoyed the production. I noticed a lot of older people were bored and disinterested, but the people around my age were, for lack of a better term, "engaged" with the story. I am very happy I saw it and will be letting my friends know to go see it. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#26Is
Posted: 11/4/17 at 11:23pm

TheSassySam said: "I noticed a lot of older people were bored and disinterested, but the people around my age were, for lack of a better term, "engaged" with the story."

Same thing happened on Broadway. Isn't it a gem of a play? So glad you got to see it!

Theatre Geek2
#27Is
Posted: 11/5/17 at 3:09pm

TheSassySam said: "markypoo said: "There's a Chicago production opening next month with some pretty credible actors in it, regionally-speaking.

Comments, opinions; anyone?
"

I am going to go see it! Mainly because the star, Alex Weisman, is one of my favorite Chicago actors and he will be making his Broadway debut in Harry Potter next year!
"

Alex Weisman has become the go-to actor in Chicago for juvenile leading roles of characters that are either gay or troubled.  He's been outstanding in The History Boys, The Normal Heart, The Temperamentals, and Hand to God.  He should be well cast as Jordan in Significant Other.  I saw the Broadway production with Glick and plan on seeing the Chicago one as well.

AwesomeDanny
#28Is
Posted: 11/6/17 at 12:20am

I saw this production this weekend and have to chime in with agreement--I loved it. It was hilarious and really hit home. Almost the whole audience gave a standing ovation (I know these are commonplace in New York, but I rarely see standing ovations at the smaller houses in Chicago). I'll be recommending it to all of my friends.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#29Is
Posted: 11/13/17 at 11:43pm

Anyone read any reviews?
(Of the Chicago production, that is.)

jon5202 Profile Photo
jon5202
MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#31Reviews for Significant Other in Chicago
Posted: 11/19/17 at 8:08am

I saw the Chicago production last night and was very impressed. I'd read the script and knew it was both relatable and troubling. The ratio of comedy to tragedy in a viewers experience will depend on whcih character they most identify with. Seeing it live I picked up new insights. (Vague spoilers ahead)

Jordan is clearly a mess. He's coping with depression, social anxiety, eating/body issues and a suicidal grandmother. He's managed to hold down a stressful corporate job and three friendships that give him structure.

His friend/ co-worker Kiki is a "mess" as well but is self-possessed enough to "get away with it." Later scenes suggest her kid and her marriage will suffer if she doesn't grow out of her narcissism.  He calls himself the group's "jester" but in this production that role is served by Kiki.

His co-worker Vanessa has similar issues but she's grown a shell and a filter. She was my audience surrogate as she kept trying to get Jordan to shut up a bit and reign it in. He'd do better if he didn't overshare and wear his neuroses on his sleeve.

His outgoing, catty co-worker Evan could have been a friend to him if Jordan didn't loathe the things he recognized in himself when they talked. Jordan seemed to turn into his grandmother when he lectured Evan about casual sex.

I was surprised how much sympathy I felt for his "sexy" co-worker Will. The actor's first scene is spent frozen in a bathing suit while Jordan gushes over him. It was staged with Jordan hovering his hands close to Will while droning on about his body. It went from sexy to deeply uncomfortable fast. When they talked Jordan made no effort to listen. I've long held the stereotype that the truly attractive have the advantages to coast through most of life's challenges. (One of the reasons I'd have felt less sympathetic towards Broadway's Gideon Glick) Watching Jordan sexually harass him throughout the play gave me a new perspective.

On the page his friend Laura felt like a kindred spirit. Their eventual break up would have been heartbreaking if their friendship had been on mutual terms. In this production Laura was played by a self-possessed, traditionally-attractive actress. She sees early on that the friendship has become unhealthy and begins to distance herself.  This Jordan turns unpleasant and hostile long before their big confrontation and her decision to drop him (and that's definitely the impression I got here) is the right one for her.

Harmon is dealing with some larger socio-political issues here. The way some straight women treat gay men. The way some gay men treat each other. The double standards and expectations that revolve around modern marriages. A play set in an earlier time period could have placed the blame for Jordan's neurorses on society. In 2017 it feels Jordan has more options but these retro patterns have formed a sand trap. Losing those friendships will shatter him but that may be the only way to get him to change. 

Edit: I'm currently watching season three of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. It's interesting to compare how Rebecca's issues have caused her friends to rally around her in support rather than pull away. Some of them are enabling her but others are offering more constructive feedback. Rebecca's story may yet be a "coming of age" tale. Jordan's is a "tragedy" as we never see him overcome his self-defeating flaws.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 11/19/17 at 08:08 AM

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#32Reviews for Significant Other in Chicago
Posted: 11/19/17 at 10:08am

haterobics said: "BWAY Baby2 said: "I thought the play was shallow and superficial throughout most of it- though it was mildly interesting. However, the ending was very powerful and the main character's choices finally caught up with him. I myself could have taken a similar path if I had not met the right guy and settled down. The main character's predicament was very relatable and touching."

Err, the start of your post and the end of your post need to come to an agreement on things...
"

I actually more or less agree with what BWAY Baby2 says about the show. It certainly has its "moment of truth" and some of the characters are fairly relatable, but the writing does not allow the audience to see or the protagonist to explore more of what lies beneathe the insecurity, the almost toxic need to belong, the ways we are connected and whatnot. It feels like it touches on these issues but shys away from really confronting them. It is sincere, which is why it is touching, but, if this is not one of the first few plays you've seen or read, you would probaby feel that it is a missed opportunity for not taking more risks or not being daring enough.

Videos