Live At Lincoln Center

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#25Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/1/18 at 2:16pm

OlBlueEyes said: "Hoping to get Osnes and Yazbeck back together for their joyous "Crazy for You."

She had this to say in an interview on the Lincoln Center site:

LO: Now that Bandstand is over everyone is asking what's next, and there's a potential Broadway revival of Crazy For You that we actually did at Lincoln Center last year, so that was amazing. The goal is to come to Broadway in the 18–19 season, so that's hopefully on the horizon unless something else comes along."
"

Ah. I sorta hope something else comes along for her. I think we'd all kick ourselves if we didn't let Mara Davi play that role - especially opposite Yazbeck. I love Laura, but I think Mara is much more suited for it.

And, yes, they usually post their episodes on the PBS website for limited time free streaming!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/1/18 at 2:43pm

Just watching it now (my dvr recorded the broadcast that aired about noon).

I don't think I've ever heard Tveit sound better. His Maria was freaking insane.

While Jackson was the weakest of the three, I certainly didn't think he was bad by any means.

Lovely show.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#27Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/1/18 at 6:37pm

poisonivy2 said: "I'm watching this and like it but I really don't get why these Bernstein concerts have to be so loaded with testimonials about what an amazing swell guy he was. I'm sure he was charming and fun but these "Lenny was so swell" anecdotes wear thin the 500th time you've heard them."

You're complaining that this tribute to Leonard Bernstein has too many tributes to Leonard Bernstein?

Updated On: 1/1/18 at 06:37 PM

OuttaTowner
#28Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/1/18 at 10:56pm

In the new Lincoln Center podcast, Tveit mentions workshopping Moulin Rouge later this year.

Looking forward to his show at the Appel Room in February. Hoping he includes some Broadway selections - his “Maria” and “Tonight” were phenomenal.

Anonymous Critic
#29Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/2/18 at 12:53am

poisonivy2 said: "I'm watching this and like it but I really don't get why these Bernstein concerts have to be so loaded with testimonials about what an amazing swell guy he was. I'm sure he was charming and fun but these "Lenny was so swell" anecdotes wear thin the 500th time you've heard them."

could you please enumerate the 499 times that you heard these same anecdotes?

Anonymous Critic
#30Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/2/18 at 12:55am

John Adams said: "barcelona20 said: "Huh? We're talking aboutNew Year's Eve:Bernstein on Broadway."

Depends on your PBS station. I found it (and am currently watching) via: Higher Ground: A Hurricane Relief Benefit, Live From Lincoln Center

Regardless - THANKS to barcelona20 for bringing it to my attention laugh

"

could you mention Higher Ground: A Hurricane Relief Benefit, Live From Lincoln Center again?  thanks

OuttaTowner
#31Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/2/18 at 12:18pm

The program has now been posted on the PBS web site, for anyone who may wish to check it out.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#32Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/2/18 at 1:07pm

Enjoying reading this thread.  Nice to know that so many BW posters didn't make a resolution to stop their bitchiness in 2018.

Gee, regarding the slam posts to someone who mentioned they could have done without so many testimonials -- it's not THAT unusual to do this type of show by letting the work of the composer speak for itself without having to hear over and over again how brilliant the composer was.   Isn't the proof in the works itself?  

And for someone who got slammed for somehow daring to think the thread was about a different program, so came back to explain that the other show was also airing -- how rude to react to the fact that yes this poster did mention the actual name of the program in each of their posts -- which might have been nice, in my opinion, in the original post of the thread.  

Ah, at least we know we won't lack for bitchiness in 2018!

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#33Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/2/18 at 7:21pm

Patash said: "Enjoying reading this thread. Nice to know that so many BW posters didn't make a resolution to stop their bitchiness in 2018.

We're New Yorkers. We have an image to live up to.

If you develop skin thick enough to survive New York then you need not fear any other place in the land.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#34Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/3/18 at 1:43am

Annaleigh Ashford was pretty bad in the On The Town number and so was Tviet, but both really seemed like they didn't want to be there. Honestly, none of them seemed passionate about Bernstein or about  honoring the material- one of the reasons I love the Barbara  Cook tribute at Kennedy Center Honors is because of all the love and passion that the performers poured into the material. Obviously, it's a different format and they had the fortune of honoring Barbara  in person to help them, but the whole thing felt so disconnected from the purpose, which was to honor Bernstein. Kelli O'Hara's performances in the Marvin Hamlisch tribute a few years back is a great example of a performer who is truly passionate about the material and the person she's paying tribute. Aaron Tviet, Christopher Jackson, Annaleigh Ashford, and even Laura Osnes(who is radiant at times) just don't seem to be that connected to Leonard Bernstein or passionate enough to really do this concert justice.

Updated On: 1/3/18 at 01:43 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#35Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/3/18 at 11:22am

I couldn't disagree with you more.  I enjoyed all of the performances immensely, and thought they sold the songs very well.

But his last name is TVEIT.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#36Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/3/18 at 3:50pm

I hate to be "that guy", but
it's Barbara Cook.

My own opinion of the
performance was that the
singers seemed under-
rehearsed. The exceptions
were "Maria" and "Tonight",
but I'm guessing Tveit and
Osnes have sung those
songs many times before.

Last night, I listened to
Nancy Walker's original
version of "I Can Cook".
The slower, 1940s tempo
allows one to savor the
delicious inner rhymes
and use of jive slang.

At the tempo they gave
Ashford, she could do
little but get the words
out. (Yes, I know Lea
DeLaria sings the song
at that speed, but she
has performed it many,
many times.)

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#37Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/3/18 at 4:08pm

GavestonPS said: "I hate to be "that guy", but
it's Barbara Cook.

My own opinion of the
performance was that the
singers seemed under-
rehearsed. The exceptions
were "Maria" and "Tonight",
but I'm guessing Tveit and                              
Osnes have sung those                                          
songs many times before.

Nancy Walker's original
version of "I Can Cook".            
The slower, 1940s tempo    
allows one to savor the
delicious inner rhymes
and use of jive slang.

At the tempo they gave
Ashford, she could do
little but get the words
out. (Yes, I know Lea
DeLaria sings the song
at that speed, but she
has performed it many,
many times.)
"

Thanks!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#38Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/3/18 at 4:16pm

How gracious, Soaring, to
recognize I was providing
info, not sniping at a typo.

You are very welcome.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#39Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/3/18 at 4:34pm

Nancy Walker's original
version of "I Can Cook".            
The slower, 1940s tempo    
allows one to savor the
delicious inner rhymes
and use of jive slang.

At the tempo they gave
Ashford, she could do
little but get the words
out. (Yes, I know Lea
DeLaria sings the song
at that speed, but she
has performed it many,
many times.)
"

oh, but you're leaving out the wonderful version in the last revival by Alysha Umphress!

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#40Live At Lincoln Center
Posted: 1/3/18 at 10:05pm

dramamama611 said: "I couldn't disagree with you more. I enjoyed all of the performances immensely, and thought they sold the songs very well.

But his last name is TVEIT.
"

Thanks!!!