pixeltracker

LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"- Page 3

LuPone and Webber "Bury the Hatchet"

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#50LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 10:43am

Liking her style or voice is indeed taste, but she does act through song wonderfully, even though her sound might be unpleasant to you.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#51LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 10:47am

No need to listen to either Close or Patti with the haunting quality of Buckley's vocals devil.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

binau Profile Photo
binau
#52LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:09am

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#53LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 11:32am

Distinctive Baritone clearly does not like Patti LuPone. Which is fine. But don’t pretend to like her work, though. That just makes your opinions seem hallow. You even make a statement that her career boiled down to luck. Meaning not talent, but luck. I take major issue with that. She is an incredibly talented work horse. You may find her voice shrill and nasal, but many more people find her voice powerful and riveting. I love the fact that Patti had to push her voice higher on the Evita cast recording. It makes it much more exciting and riveting. Anyway, don’t say you like her, when you clearly don’t.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#55LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 1:32pm

Gensho said: "Distinctive Baritone clearly does not like Patti LuPone. Which is fine. But don’t pretend to like her work, though. That just makes your opinions seem hallow. You even make a statement that her career boiled down to luck. Meaning not talent, but luck. I take major issue with that. She is an incredibly talented work horse. You may find her voice shrill and nasal, but many more people find her voice powerful and riveting. I love the fact that Patti had to push her voice higher on the Evita cast recording. It makes it much more exciting and riveting. Anyway, don’t say you like her, when you clearly don’t. "

Chill out. It’s not like I dissed your mom. I liked her as Evita (just not her repeated whining about it), I liked her as Reno Sweeney. I liked her as Mrs. Lovett. I liked her as Mama Rose. I didn’t like her as Norma Desmond. It’s possible to not like everything an actor does. I also understand that Broadway is a business, and whether you preferred LuPone or Close in Sunset, ALW inarguably made the right business decision in a very tough situation.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#56LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 2:39pm

Personally think Elaine Paige sings it best if we're just talking about pure voice.

Withonelook2
#57LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 3:41pm

I have listened to all the leading ladies who have played Norma in London & on Broadway. IMO Betty Buckley has more emotion & soul than anybody else. I am so sorry she was out the night I went to see her on Broadway although I did get to hear her sing several of the songs at a concert in New Orleans.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#58LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 4:48pm

The best for me will always be the incomparable Debra Byrne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsb8HNsjp8

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#59LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 8:41pm

Back to the truce between LuPone and Webber...

I wonder if it has anything to do with the 'warning' Webber's lawyers directed to her a few months ago (November?) when she called him (once again) an alcoholic, unstable, etc.  I wonder if that had any part - good or bad - with their truce?

As far as the best vocals on the two show-stoppers from SB, my unbiased vote goes to Streisand, from her 'Back to Broadway' album in 1993. 

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#60LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 9:48pm

This whole thing makes me very happy.

I remember Patti saying that overtures were made to her agent about her taking over Evita from Elena Rogers on Broadway in 2013, but the money wasn't enough. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#61LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 10:28pm

Anyone know if Patti ever toured with Evita?  (or just did Broadway?)

tomwsjr
#62LuPone and Webber
Posted: 1/28/18 at 10:30pm

I believe she played a limited engagement in Australia, but never toured in Evita.

Videos