pixeltracker

The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women

The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women

Trousers
#1The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:45pm

Hey all

in NYC in May from Australia. Bought a ticket to The Boys in the Band on a whim - the cast got me hooked. But I have had a look at the movie on youtube and I'm now not so sure about it - looks so 70s and so cliched gay... (no offence) does anyone know what it's like (is anyone here that old?!)

Would Three Tall Women be more recommended by the Message Board? Sadly can't see both as I'm seeing something else every night and every matinee while I'm there.

Updated On: 4/8/18 at 10:45 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women
Posted: 4/8/18 at 10:48pm

Three Tall Women is beyond exceptionally good, so if you end up seeing it, you're in good hands.

Nobody really knows about The Boys in the Band yet since it hasn't started performances. It looks excellent on paper, but stranger things have happened. I'd recommend waiting a few weeks until its first few previews (first one is on April 30), and then you'll probably have more info to make a decision!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#3The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women
Posted: 4/8/18 at 11:01pm

I’m hoping to see both (as well as others) when I’m hopefully in NYC in June. But if the preview thread and critic reviews (once it opens) are mostly pans for The Boys in the Band, I’ll likely skip it despite the star power on stage. I will definitely be seeing Three Tall Women.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#4The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women
Posted: 4/8/18 at 11:02pm

I haven’t seen the Boys in the Band film in a long time, but I’m pretty sure it’s faithful to the play. If you just watched bits and pieces you might be missing what makes the play so important and moving. Maybe try watching it all the way through or reading the play.

I also think the words “stereotypical” and “Cliche” have often been unfairly applied to this play. Those kind of gay men did and still exist. I think it taps into some important issues that we still struggle with. I also expect Mantello and the talented ensemble will be able to make it relatable for contemporary audiences.

I agree, maybe wait until some of the preview reports come out on here. Three Tall Women is wonderful, but you might also be missing out on another exceptional production.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#5The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women
Posted: 4/9/18 at 12:16am

I know I'm a minority opinion,  but I found THREE TALL WOMEN a really tough slog, for what it's worth, despite a great set and legendary actresses at work.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#6The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women
Posted: 4/9/18 at 1:42am

I haven't seen "The Boys in the Band," but I have to say that I thought "Three Tall Women" was one of the most boring, high-handed, dramatically dead, and tiresome pieces I have ever seen (and I usually love pacey, deep plays). The 8 hours of "Angels in America" flew like two hours, but 3TW's 1h45m felt like an eternity. I wanted so badly to love it, given the cast, playwright, and hype on the board, but it failed to engage, let alone move me. Go see "Boys in the Band."

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#7The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women
Posted: 4/9/18 at 6:52pm

Three Tall Women is thought provoking intelligent theatre.

It may take some concentration and  work to listen and experience it but if you do my what a pay off .

Glenda Jackson gives one of the most riveting performances I've ever seen on stage. The other two women are wonderful too. The play is quite insightful and honest about life.

I do think that you have to have a maturity to you (maybe  be over 40) to really get 3 Tall Woman as it about a women at diffenent times in her life. But if you love riveting theatre with scintillating dialogue  any great performances.. don't miss 3 tall women. 

wonkit
#8The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women
Posted: 4/9/18 at 6:52pm

If you have any appreciation for Edward Albee, I would suggest THREE TALL WOMEN without any reservations since I think it is an amazing physical production with an unparalleled cast and a sensitive director. But some people don't "get" Albee and if you are one of them, you may not see it for the masterpiece it is. I never liked VIRGINIA WOOLF and didn't think I would like this either. But I loved this.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#9The Boys in the Band...or Three Tall Women
Posted: 4/9/18 at 8:36pm

I have to disagree. I love Shakespeare, other Albee (e.g. "The Goat"), and "challenging" plays in general, as well as Sondheim, LaChiusa, etc. I got one of my BAs in English with a concentration in Medieval and Renaissance lit. I am in my mid-thirties and work as a family trauma therapist. In my opinion, "Three Tall Women" is a dull slog that reaches for profundity and fails to grasp it. It's a beautiful production with a stunningly winning cast, but the play doesn't succeed dramatically. It wasn't my lack of life experience, concentration skills, or vested interest in the show, but the play itself, that made the experience of seeing it flat for me.

But for those who did like it, I'm happy for you and don't wish to reverse your joy just to "be right." :)

Videos