ABC's "The View"

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#700The View
Posted: 10/4/22 at 2:20am

Sunny has become unbearable. Her hypocrisy is so apparent, and I’m glad her co-hosts have called her out on a couple of occasions already. Her trademark “the twice-impeached, disgraced former president” identifier for Trump has also gotten very stale. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#701The View
Posted: 10/4/22 at 3:30pm

Some of the filler topics have been ridiculous - such as yesterday's 'cat vs partner' topic. Please - send that to 'The Talk'. because that's their specialty.

'The View' is under ABC's News Division (has been since shortly after Walters left). Let your 'live show' Hot Topics be about newsworthy topics and headlines. Save the fluff for the days the show is pre-recorded and you can't present newsworthy topics. 

As for Sunny, whom I really liked the first few years, she has become tiresome. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#702The View
Posted: 10/5/22 at 4:36pm

This is the six we'll see for at least two years. I believe they all agreed to multi-year extensions. Farrah may be the only one on a one year deal.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#703The View
Posted: 10/6/22 at 12:22am

Contracts don’t mean much in the entertainment industry. People quit, people get fired, contracts get bought out, contracts get rewritten. A lot can happen from one day to the next. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#704The View
Posted: 10/24/22 at 12:35pm

What a sh!t show today was w/Cancun Cruz. The producers knew this would likely happen. What a mess.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#705The View
Posted: 11/14/22 at 7:30pm

Interesting to see no Whoopi or Joy today. Sarah ended up as moderator. Whoopi is out with COVID, so I guess Joy will moderate the rest of the week. Just curious if Ana will now be there all week.

Updated On: 11/14/22 at 07:30 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#706The View
Posted: 12/29/22 at 6:03pm

Whoopi in hot water again after Holocaust remarks. Could she be getting fired?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/calls-for-whoopi-goldberg-to-be-fired-from-the-view-grow-after-host-apologizes-for-another-holocaust-remark-post-suspension/ar-AA15KKLS?li=BBnb7Kz

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#707The View
Posted: 1/1/23 at 1:19am

I doubt it. She didn’t say it in the show or on any ABC show. Therefore, they don’t care - she said it in England. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#708The View
Posted: 1/1/23 at 4:13am

David10086 said: "I doubt it. She didn’t say it in the show or on any ABC show. Therefore, they don’t care - she said it in England."

I love Whoopi, but she’s been suspended again, yes? So clearly they care, even if they only care about how they’re perceived. Whether, she’s fired remains to be seen. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#709The View
Posted: 1/1/23 at 9:26am

I'd expect Tuesday's show to be devoted entirely to Barbara Walters.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#710The View
Posted: 1/2/23 at 2:27am

Miles2Go2 said: "David10086 said: "I doubt it. She didn’t say it in the show or on any ABC show. Therefore, they don’t care - she said it in England."

I love Whoopi, but she’s been suspended again, yes? So clearly they care, even if they only care about how they’re perceived. Whether, she’s fired remains to be seen.
"

Who said she’s been suspended again? 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#711The View
Posted: 1/2/23 at 9:02am

She's not, but various outlets were saying that ABC might suspend her again or even fire her due to her comments about the Holocaust again.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#712The View
Posted: 1/3/23 at 11:09pm

Well the cast and former cast members sat shiva today for Walters, and paid the same tributes everyone else did over the past four days. Nothing special, same stories we’ve heard forever. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#713The View
Posted: 1/3/23 at 11:11pm

ACL2006 said: "She's not, but various outlets were saying that ABC might suspend her again or even fire her due to her comments about the Holocaust again."

From what I saw over the past week, none of those outlets were anything reputable- just mostly tabloid and gossip sites. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#714The View
Posted: 1/4/23 at 6:37pm

I thought everything they did on Tuesday's show for Barbara was fine. Wasn't expecting anything extreme or over-the-top. Also, Rosie O'Donnell was invited to the show on Tuesday but she was already flying out somewhere and had to turn it down.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#715The View
Posted: 1/4/23 at 10:58pm

I didn’t think Tuesdays show was distinguishable from any other tribute done for Walters on any other show. It was just blah. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#716The View
Posted: 1/9/23 at 12:07pm

They kept playing the montage of Walters' last day on The View, with all the female journalists coming out. Does anyone know why Joy Behar wasn't there? I believe this was during her "hiatus" of 2 years from the show, but wondered why she didn't show up

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#717The View
Posted: 1/9/23 at 2:35pm

fashionguru_23 said: "They kept playing the montage of Walters' last day on The View, with all the female journalists coming out. Does anyone know why Joy Behar wasn't there? I believe this was during her "hiatus" of 2 years from the show, but wondered why she didn't show up"

It was during Joy's hiatus but it's never been said why she wasn't there or not invited. She has always talked glowingly about Walters, so I'd assume she just wasn't invited(odd since Hasselbeck was). Or perhaps she just couldn't make it?

lovepuppy
#718The View
Posted: 1/16/23 at 5:25am

Why didn't they mention the passing of Lisa Marie Presley (Thursday 1/12), on Friday, 1/13? HUGE story. Was Friday's show pre-recorded? They will usually caption the screen if a show airing has been pre-recorded, and they usually don't; Whoopi is off, and Joy moderates, live. 

And why have they not ever mentioned the "Elvis" movie, including when Austin Butler won a Golden Globe earlier in the week? They've been doing award-circuit campaigning on talk shows for 7 months, but "The View" hasn't mentioned it at all, and it's a huge pop-culture topic. Does ABC or "The View" have some disagreement or embargo on Warner Brothers productions?

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." "I dare say you haven't had the practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Alice in Wonderland

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#719The View
Posted: 1/17/23 at 12:15pm

Their Friday shows are always pre-recorded.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#720The View
Posted: 1/17/23 at 5:38pm

lovepuppy said: "Why didn't they mention the passing of Lisa Marie Presley (Thursday 1/12), on Friday, 1/13? HUGE story. Was Friday's show pre-recorded? They will usually caption the screen if a show airing has been pre-recorded, and they usually don't; Whoopi is off, and Joy moderates, live.

And why have they not ever mentioned the "Elvis" movie, including when Austin Butler won a Golden Globe earlier in the week? They've been doing award-circuit campaigning on talk shows for 7 months, but "The View" hasn't mentioned it at all, and it's a huge pop-culture topic. Does ABC or "The View" have some disagreement or embargo on Warner Brothers productions?
"

The shows are live on Friday. If a show is not live, it will say 'recorded earlier' in the bottom left corner when the show begins and they take their seats - such as the MLK show yesterday. The show did cover timely issues from Thursday on Friday (starting with more documents found in Pres Biden's garage on Thursday afternoon) but they did ignore the death of LMP.

Someone on another forum said that Whoopi and LMP had a huge falling out about twenty years ago, when Whoopi made a very poor joke about her mother in one of her stand-up acts, and never apologized to LMP (apparently, LMP was very offended and made it known). Supposedly, while Whoopi has been moderator of the show, they have never brought the Presley family up in 'Hot Topics' becasue of this riff between the two - never mentioned when LMP made headlines being in and out of rehab and coming clean about her addictions in the 2018 documentary; never acknowledged her son's suicide in 2020, etc. I've never really kept up with that, but others seemed to agree the Presley family has not been spoken about at all (even though they have been discussed on GMA, etc.)

It is rather peculiar how they cover celebrity deaths on the show...

In December, they ignored the death of Kirstie Alley, as well. No mention - which others noted on other forums. 

When they returned from their August hiatus (August 8 - September 5) , they never mentioned Olivia Newton-John's passing while they were away (and she was a guest on their show numerous times in the past 25 years discussing her illness). Granted, the Queen died a few days after - but no mention on the day they returned or the following days about ONJ.  However, when Aretha Franklin died during their August hiatus back in 2018, they covered it the day they returned. They gave her a big send-off on the show.  Very odd. 

Two years ago, they ignored Cloris Leachman's death which happened a few days apart from Cicsley Tyson's passing - and gave Tyson all the attention that week). Leachman was an Oscar and multiple-Emmy winner, and a frequent guest on the show over the years. Not a mention. 

I'm not sure who chooses who to memorialize on the show and who chooses not to.  I'm wondering if it's the panel, or the producers - or both ? 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#721The View
Posted: 1/18/23 at 10:18am

It's been reported from various sources and previous cohosts that Whoopi does control what hot topics are discussed.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#722The View
Posted: 1/23/23 at 2:32am

It took one of the guests to mention LMPs death the other day. Then the hosts acknowledged it for a few seconds. 

lovepuppy
#723The View
Posted: 2/10/23 at 2:19am

Yes, I saw when they asked Dolly Parton about the Elvis/Lisa Marie topics. They may have already known Dolly would be booked as a guest, but it's still odd that they wouldn't mention such a shocking death as Lisa Marie Presley--esp. considering she was so young at 54. And to discuss award shows and not mention how many nominations "Elvis" has had...also quite odd. I don't believe for a second that Whoopi "controls" the Hot Topics; she's only there 4 days a week. It's just very strange to not mention those things, in any case.

Also strange since someone above mentioned how they didn't make time to note Kirstie Alley's or Olivia Newton-John's deaths, being prominent women in entertainment for decades, either--and this show was literally built by--and for--prominent women.

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." "I dare say you haven't had the practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Alice in Wonderland

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#724The View
Posted: 2/14/23 at 12:21pm

David10086, I thought of you after watching Nathan Lane’s segment just now. He opened with giving all the laddies chocolate and a rose, and before getting to the interview (which was quick but fun) he insisted on “kissing Whoopi’s ass” by shouting out her work in the film ‘Till’. 😉

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.