Diversity

Wayman_Wong
#25Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 1:39am

If you're seeing ''Vietgone'' at MTC and ''Aubergine'' at Playwrights Horizons, let's face it: Those are overwhelmingly white subscription audiences, and most of the plays in their season are usually by Caucasians about the Caucasian experience. Kudos to those theaters for including playwrights of color, but that's not their focus. At the risk of overgeneralizing, theatergoing hasn't been a big part of the Asian culture (or that of others), so there's a learning curve that's involved. Audiences of color need to be cultivated and nurtured. But it takes time. As theater offerings become more diverse, I hope so, too, will the people who go to see them. 

Updated On: 6/14/18 at 01:39 AM

johnmichael
#26Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 3:33am

Sondheimite said: "I often cite Hamilton as being the poster child that represents the diversity problem that producers have caused in audiences:

A show is written for people of color to take back history. The show is very good and is swooped up by white producers who set ticket prices so high that it prices out most working class people of color. The audience is then filled with white upper classliberals who pat themselves on the back for seeing a show on Broadway that "celebrates diversity" while the people the show was written to celebrate can't even dream of getting tickets to it.

Broadway seems to celebrate diversity just so it can pat itself on it's very white back. If Broadway really celebrated diversity, Broadway would celebrate accessibility.

"

brilliantly put.

JBC3
#27Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 7:34am

People tend to want experiences where they can see themselves in the stories being told among audiences where they feel comfortable or at least not marginalized. Individuals interpretation of those situations varies.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#28Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 7:46am

How would you fix the Hamilton problem? This is what happens when we live in an economically free society, unfortunately. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

binau Profile Photo
binau
#29Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 7:46am

How would you fix the Hamilton problem? This is what happens when we live in an economically free society, unfortunately. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Wayman_Wong
#30Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 1:11pm

''How would you fix the Hamilton problem? ''

There are no easy or quick fixes. It's gonna take lots of work and education among producers, playwrights, audiences, etc.

''Hamilton,'' itself, is the exception to the rule. It opened in a season with ''The Color Purple'', ''Eclipsed,'' ''Shuffle Along'' and ''Allegiance.'' All 4 musical acting Tonys went to people of color.

But as Lin-Manuel MIranda himself carefully pointed out: ''I think our incredibly, amazingly diverse Tonys season that just ended was a fluke. … There are shows that have been around for years waiting for a place to land, and there are shows that get great buzz and get a theater right away,'' counting ''Hamilton'' as one of the lucky few. He added: “[But] next year could be a very different year, depending on what comes in.”

MIranda was right. The following season was far less diverse.

But ''Hamilton'' has left an unmistakable legacy on Broadway.

Miranda: “The exciting lesson that I hope people are taking away from Hamilton is that you don’t need a white guy at the center of things to make it relatable. Hamilton is a story very deliberately told to reflect what America looks like right now. We have every color represented. And it’s making a killing.'' 

Updated On: 6/14/18 at 01:11 PM

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#31Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 1:54pm

The Hamilton problem is short term. It has nothing to do with the show being done from the perspective of people of color. The high ticket prices are just because it happens to be the show of the decade (like Rent and A Chorus Line) where demand outstrips supply for the first few years. It will calm down, eventually. It already has in Chicago - I've seen it there twice and tickets aren't hard to get a few weeks in advance and at normal prices. I'll also note that the audiences there had a good mix of non-white faces. 

The vast majority of shows can only dream of having "the Hamilton problem". Most of them have the "white stories for white people" problem. 

I remember coming back home on the train from New York the week the original A Color Purple opened. I was sitting across from a black family of about 7 or 8 people that had gone specifically to see Purple the opening week. They sometimes saw shows in DC, but this was a very special deal. Reading between the lines, I would say that this was their stories being told by their people that made it a must see event. 

I can relate. It reminded me of the emotional earthquake of seeing the character of Paul in A Chorus Line in the 70s - a gay male character on stage that was not a joke and was up there in all his humanity.  Looking back I realize that I had never seen that before.

So, yeah - more diverse stories and writers and performers will help. And it's happening. Shows like Scotsboro Boys, In the Heights, and Hamilton have helped launch a new set of bankable performers that have come back leading other shows and concerts like Joshua Henry, Cynthia Erivo, Leslie Odom Jr.,  Jordan Donica, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Phillipa Soo, Daveed Diggs, Christopher Jackson, and Karen Olivo. People are now writing for these actors as well as putting them into roles that were previously cast as white. 

But it's still the writers that I am most concerned about. We need more non-white and female writers and the stories that they can tell.

ThirstyThersites
#32Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 2:09pm

So it's not enough that we're policing who is on the stage, now we have to police who is in the audience? Never change, guys, never change. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#33Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 2:15pm

What entertains me most in these recurrent calls for "diversity," is that the loudest voices never offer a practicable, considered, specific plan of action to create reform. For them, what matters is caring about the problem; the solution can always be devised by someone else.

That this is also identical to the American corporate paradigm (executives have "ideas," underlings find solutions) is probably not coincidence.

JBC3
#34Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 2:19pm

ThirstyThersites said: "So it's not enough that we're policing who is on the stage, now we have to police who is in the audience?Never change, guys, never change."

Nobody is policing anything, but audience composition at ANY event may influence whether or not people attend and/or whether or not those who do feel welcome.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#35Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 2:34pm

I saw Allegience in Boston (SpeakeasyStage) last month and the audience was easily 25% Asian.
I've worked in theatre marketing for many, many years. One thing I notice is that theatres tend to ONLY market to non-white groups when they have a "non-white" show. For instance one theatre I worked for did enormous sales efforts to the black community for a production of Having Our Say (a play with a cast of two, both black women) but then ignored that community for the rest of their season. If you do that often enough, people start to feel used and condescended to and aren't likely to hand their money over to you.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#36Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 2:57pm

JBC3 said: "ThirstyThersites said: "So it's not enough that we're policing who is on the stage, now we have to police who is in the audience?Never change, guys, never change."

Nobody is policing anything, but audience composition at ANY event may influence whether or not people attend and/or whether or not those who do feel welcome.
"

Very good point and it's not just diversity in terms of race. I know I certainly notice it when I see a show and it's mostly senior citizens sitting around me (i.e. Hello Dolly, My Fair Lady, Beautiful, any opera at Lincoln Center, etc.) I've also come to notice that rush lines tend to be a lot harder for shows that market to teenagers and the younger folk (i.e. SRO line at Dear Evan Hansen over a year ago, Mean Girls, etc.) 

Regardless of the audience's race or age, however, the only thing that would affect my theater experience is audience behavior.

BWAY Baby2
#37Diversity
Posted: 6/14/18 at 4:21pm

Sondheimite said: "I often cite Hamilton as being the poster child that represents the diversity problem that producers have caused in audiences:

A show is written for people of color to take back history. The show is very good and is swooped up by white producers who set ticket prices so high that it prices out most working class people of color. The audience is then filled with white upper classliberals who pat themselves on the back for seeing a show on Broadway that "celebrates diversity" while the people the show was written to celebrate can't even dream of getting tickets to it.

Broadway seems to celebrate diversity just so it can pat itself on it's very white back. If Broadway really celebrated diversity, Broadway would celebrate accessibility.

"

Not brilliantly put- stop yer kvetching. We live in a capitalist society- what do you want ? Free tickets? Everyone who wants to see Hamilton will- eventually- one way or another- if they wait long enough. All Broadway shows are expensive- Hamilton more so because it is a mammoth  hit. Would you rather live in North Korea?