Help me plan my August weekend!

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#1Help me plan my August weekend!
Posted: 7/13/18 at 12:30pm

I will be in town August 25-26 for a short visit. I already have a ticket for Dolly's closing night. 

Does anybody have any recommendations both on or off-Broadway I should check out? 

I'm crossing my fingers that Carmen Jones extends again. 

I am thinking Once on this Island may be my Sunday evening show, but the price tag is kinda making me look for another Sunday evening show.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2Help me plan my August weekend!
Posted: 7/13/18 at 12:33pm

Have you seen SpongeBob yet? Might be a good time to catch it before it closes.

The Play That Goes Wrong is also doing Sunday evening shows in August and isn't too pricey these days, I don't think. An excellent time.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#3Help me plan my August weekend!
Posted: 7/13/18 at 12:35pm

I recommend Spongebob as well.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#4Help me plan my August weekend!
Posted: 7/13/18 at 12:35pm

Ditto to what Concierge said, and I'd also reccomend Waitress if you're looking solely musicals! if you want a play, Boys in the Band has a really strong cast. And if just stuff from this season, Bands Visit is beautiful and definitely a show you shouldn't miss.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#5Help me plan my August weekend!
Posted: 7/13/18 at 1:13pm

The past two times I have been to NY, I have seen Spongebob, so I wouldn't be surprised if I wind up at the Palace. 

Is Boys extending at all? 

Dollypop
#6Help me plan my August weekend!
Posted: 7/14/18 at 1:11pm

This message is not meant to be snarky, but rather, another generation's perspective:

In the days before message boards, we didn't ask for anyone else's help in planning trips to the city. We relied on ourselves. I know times have changed but I always have difficulty with these posts. One of my cousins is a professional and regularly posts questions and pictures on Facebook about which outfit she should wear to work that day.

Can't we make up our own minds anymore?

Just a reflection.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#7Help me plan my August weekend!
Posted: 7/14/18 at 1:21pm

Dollypop said: "I know times have changed but I always have difficulty with these posts "

Then stop reading them. 

Updated On: 7/14/18 at 01:21 PM

Dollypop
#8Help me plan my August weekend!
Posted: 7/14/18 at 2:07pm

Cat Guy said: "Dollypop said: "I know times have changed but I always have difficulty with these posts"

Then stop reading them.

"

I'm of about to start a fight. I'm just musing on how times and attitudes have changed.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

mufish
#9Help me plan my August weekend!
Posted: 7/14/18 at 3:57pm

Dollypop said: "This message is not meant to be snarky, but rather, another generation's perspective:

In the days before message boards, we didn't ask for anyone else's help in planning trips to the city. We relied on ourselves. I know times have changed but I always have difficulty with these posts. One of my cousins is a professional and regularly posts questions and pictures on Facebook about which outfit she should wear to work that day.

Just a reflection.
"

I think your sentiment is fair in general, but I'd offer that comparing someone looking for show recommendations to your cousin asking for wardrobe opinions is apples to oranges.

I am one of those people who has sought input from the board on what to see, on a number of occasions.  Like the OP seems to be, I'd often be dealing with a finite amount of time and while I may narrow my list to a handful of choices, getting unvarnished opinions from members of this board can help to eliminate/rank order my options.  I'm certainly not going to rely on pull quotes that a show uses in their marketing to guide me, and I'm fairly certain this board has saved me from seeing a stinker or two.

Like you said, times have changed.  The internet can be a wonderful place to do research, and hearing input from others willing to give it can be immensely helpful. 

Sam, you may want to try the OOTI lottery for Sunday night and if that doesn't work out, you might still be able to get a rush ticket for TPTGW (or at the very least you'd probably find it on TKTS).  At the very least, OOTI is a very cool experience that would be hard to replicate anywhere beyond a theatre in the round.

Not sure how the ticket sales have been but The Band's Visit could be a cheap option if the StubHub route is still a good one for folks these days.  My guess is Boys in the Band won't extend, likely because Parsons probably needs to resume Big Bang Theory.

UncleCharlie
#10Help me plan my August weekend!
Posted: 7/14/18 at 5:26pm

Dollypop said: "This message is not meant to be snarky, but rather, another generation's perspective:

Just a reflection.
"

When 95% of the shows one sees is the same show over and over and over, it's a lot easier to decide what you want to see.

And there's a difference between making up your own mind and asking for input in order to do so.