pixeltracker

Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?

Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?

Nowhere_Dan Profile Photo
Nowhere_Dan
#1Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 5:25pm

Hi! long time lurker here! I'm curious to know how many of you are into listening to Non-English language cast recordings, they might be hard to get your hands on but some of them include different orchestrations and slightly different versions of songs from the OBC albums, which can always be fun to listen to.

What is it about them that you find most appealing? The different orchestrations, the sound of the language, the performers? I recently got the chance to listen to the Evita Danish cast recording (2001) and I'm really digging its jazzy and chamber-music like orchestrations. A couple more that I really enjoy listening to are the 2005 Brazilian cast recording of Side by Side by Sondheim and the 2003 Brazilian cast of Company.

I'm hoping to start posting more often from now on these boards!

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#2Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 6:13pm

I really appreciate the Dutch cast recording of The Phantom of the Opera, because the Christine is just sublime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateBD6Vf_PE

Updated On: 8/5/18 at 06:13 PM

broadwayboy223
#3Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 7:50pm

The German hunchback is spine chilling

singer234
#4Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 7:53pm

I really like the German Spring Awakening cast recording. It’s live.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 10:04am

I have a huge soft spot for the Tel Aviv cast recording of Les Miz. I think it was only the third to come out.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Dollypop
#6Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 10:29am

I have the French, German, Israeli, Italian and Mexican recordings of HELLO, DOLLY! I've always been partial to the French.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Dollypop
#7Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 10:29am

I have the French, German, Israeli, Italian and Mexican recordings of HELLO, DOLLY! I've always been partial to the French.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

JennH
#8Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 10:54am

Ok, so not that the French was originally in English to begin with because French WAS the original language, but Notre Dame de Paris particularly with Noa as I prefer her voice over Helene Segara’s by a mile, is always on my list of non English musical theatre ANYTHING.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#9Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 11:13am

Nowhere_Dan said: "Hi! long time lurker here! I'm curious to know how many of you are into listening to Non-English language cast recordings, they might be hard to get your hands on but some of them include different orchestrations and slightly different versions of songs from the OBC albums, which can always be fun to listen to.

What is it about them that you find most appealing? The different orchestrations, the sound of the language, the performers? I recently got the chance tolisten to the Evita Danish cast recording (2001) and I'm really digging its jazzy and chamber-music like orchestrations. A couple more that Ireally enjoy listening to are the 2005 Brazilian cast recording of Side by Side by Sondheim and the 2003 Brazilian cast of Company.

"

Is there an online resource to purchase these?  Would love the foreign language Sondheim shows.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#10Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 11:50am

German Hunchback needs to be in everyone’s collection, period 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#11Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 1:34pm

The original Madrid recording of Evita is extraordinary for the orchestrations. By contrast, the Korean recording of Evita is hilariously awful. There are moments the chorus and orchestra aren't even in sync.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 8/6/18 at 01:34 PM

Nowhere_Dan
#12Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 9:23pm

Anshel2 said: "Nowhere_Dan said: "Hi! long time lurker here! I'm curious to know how many of you are into listening to Non-English language cast recordings, they might be hard to get your hands on but some of them include different orchestrations and slightly different versions of songs from the OBC albums, which can always be fun to listen to.

What is it about them that you find most appealing? The different orchestrations, the sound of the language, the performers? I recently got the chance tolisten to the Evita Danish cast recording (2001) and I'm really digging its jazzy and chamber-music like orchestrations. A couple more that Ireally enjoy listening to are the 2005 Brazilian cast recording of Side by Side by Sondheim and the 2003 Brazilian cast of Company.

"

Is there an online resource to purchase these? Would love the foreign language Sondheim shows.
"

Sadly, I don't know any ! These recordings are hard to come by. I was able to get my hands on these Brazilian recordings from an aquaintance who happened to have some promo CDs which he  got from someone he knew who was involved with the production of these shows.

Nowhere_Dan
#13Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/6/18 at 9:27pm

LizzieCurry said: "I have a huge soft spot for the Tel Aviv cast recording of Les Miz. I think it was only the third to come out."

What is it about that particular cast recording of Les Miz that you like so much? Just curious!

LizzieCurry
#14Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 9:53am

There's something really passionate about it. I have it on cassette and the sound quality isn't that great, but I love the sound of the voices. I wish I'd gotten to see Dudu Fisher in English!

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#15Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 1:21pm

I have the Paris cast recording of Les Mis, from 1991, and I love it. For one, hearing it in French is so beautiful. Louise Pitre singing "J'avais Reve" (I Dreamed a Dream) is the best version of that song I've ever heard.

I also have the Austrian cast from the late 80's. 

I used to order them from Footlights Records in the 90's. I would call and ask what international Les Mis recordings they had, and then send a check.

Lizzie - I've never heard the Israeli one. I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find it anywhere, although I'm guessing it's probably impossible to find now...

LizzieCurry
#16Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 2:16pm

I don't think it was ever produced on CD — just LP and cassette. Though I'm sure it's floating around somewhere in MP3 format. I think there was also a live radio broadcast with narration of (possibly) the original Tel Aviv cast as well.

Agreed on the Paris revival recording!

kofler22
#17Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 3:18pm

Dollypop said: "I have the French, German, Israeli, Italian and Mexican recordings of HELLO, DOLLY! I've always been partial to the French."

I also have the Argentinian and Brazilian ones, which are also very funny! 

LizzieCurry
#18Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/7/18 at 3:36pm

Oh, and as far as where to purchase these, most of the ones I bought in the '90s were via the mail/phone from a guy who advertised in TheaterWeek (RIP) and InTheater (RIP). I also used to purchase them in person at Star Classics in San Francisco (again, RIP!). eBay probably has some once in a while, though.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#19Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/8/18 at 3:27am

Being a Phantom of the Opera maniac (in most of its incarnations -- not just ALW's, although that is my favorite), I've collected a bunch of the cast albums. I'm not sure which productions I have in each case, because, sometimes, there is more than one in a language; I think there may be two German versions. I have official versions in Spanish, Korean, Russian, Swedish, German, Dutch, Italian (the dubbed 2004 soundtrack), and Japanese. I'm most impressed with the Dutch version, which isn't surprising, in that Henk Poort has gotten some fabulous reviews. The Korean and Japanese versions don't seem to work too well in translation. The Spanish translation certainly is not word for word, but the rhyme scheme works well. I hear there's a Hungarian version still available, but it's VERY rare. I'd love to hear it because Hungarian is such an ugly language (IMO, notwithstanding the view of my late Hungarian grandmother) because of its nasal intonations, and most of the words are very long, with first syllable accents, that I can't imagine how a translator or a cast could pull it off.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Nowhere_Dan
#20Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 5:26pm

AHLiebross said: "Being a Phantom of the Opera maniac (in most of its incarnations -- not just ALW's, although that is my favorite), I've collected a bunch of the cast albums. I'm not sure which productions I have in each case, because, sometimes, there is more than one in a language; I think there may be two German versions. I have official versions in Spanish, Korean, Russian, Swedish, German, Dutch, Italian (the dubbed 2004 soundtrack), and Japanese. I'm most impressed with the Dutch version, which isn't surprising, in that Henk Poort has gotten some fabulous reviews. The Korean and Japanese versions don't seem to work too well in translation. The Spanish translation certainly is not word for word, but the rhyme scheme works well. I hear there's a Hungarian version still available, but it's VERY rare. I'd love to hear it because Hungarian is such an ugly language (IMO, notwithstanding the view of my late Hungarian grandmother)because of its nasal intonations, and most of the words are very long, with first syllable accents, that I can't imagine how a translator or a cast could pull it off."

Yes! The sound of a particular language might as well be one of the main reasons why a certain foreign cast recording might not be that appealing to some. In fact, I remember listening to some cast recordings in which  because of the requirements of the language the musical phrases had be stretched out to make room for longer words, which can certainly put you off if you really are a fan of the original English language version.

SkidRowUrchins Profile Photo
SkidRowUrchins
#21Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 5:38pm

Does anyone know of any cast recordings in Norwegian? I've  recently started learning the language and wanted to find something to listen to that I'm already familiar with but google has not been helpful. 

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#22Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 7:56pm

SkidRowUrchins said: "Does anyone know of any cast recordings in Norwegian? I've recently started learning the language and wanted to find something to listen to that I'm already familiar with but google has not been helpful."

Whenever I need help learning a new language, I find the song clips of foreign dubs of the Disney classics on youtube extremely helpful. For example this one, it is The Little Mermaid in Norwegian. The cool thing is that they often also have the literal translation and lyrics on screen, so that makes it even more helpful to improve your spoken and written language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPRKBEs5BEg

Updated On: 8/9/18 at 07:56 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#23Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 7:59pm

I listen to the original recordings of Rebecca and Tanz Der Vampire. Mostly because there are no English language cast albums for either show. Hopefully there will be one day.

Updated On: 8/9/18 at 07:59 PM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#24Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/9/18 at 8:13pm

Not really cast recordings, but soundtracks. I really appreciate these versions:

Cinderella in Dutch : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fKFQZxtAA

Cinderella in Dutch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lpuKuSIrc8&t

Snow White in French: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H-pd0c8FjA

The Little Mermaid in Icelandic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzIC0Tle0g4

Bambi in French: https://youtu.be/3mLrJXPTp7Y?t=21s

Updated On: 8/9/18 at 08:13 PM

LizzieCurry
#25Non-English language cast recordings appreciation?
Posted: 8/10/18 at 10:26am

There was a Dance of the Vampires promo CD that I think was given out at a Bway Flea Market. Someone picked it up for me (I was still living in CA then). Steve Barton and Aris Sas are both on it, singing in English.