THE NAP Previews

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#25THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/6/18 at 5:28pm

Jordan Catalano said: "This seems right on track with most of what MTC does now."

I wish they'd stop letting Daniel Sullivan direct so many things. He has no vision and sucks the life out of everything. I think there might be a decent play in The Nap but the direction, as it is now, it awful.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#26THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/6/18 at 5:29pm

Jordan Catalano said: "This seems right on track with most of what MTC does now."

Little Foxes?

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#27THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/7/18 at 11:45am

What an exceedingly bizarre show to see on Broadway. It’s so very British that I overheard someone saying at intermission that they could tell where the other Brit’s in the audience were based on where the small pockets of laughter were coming from.

While far from a laugh riot, I did genuinely enjoy myself at this total oddity that doesn’t belong on Broadway but has its charms nonetheless. Alexandra Billings and Max Gordon Moore were the standouts in the cast for me as they both seem to be much more on top of the comedic timing than the rest of the cast. The first scene has a lighting effect set to a timer. By my count, the scene is meant to take place in not much more than 36 minutes. As of now, is over an hour. This needs extreme tightening—Conlee and Schneider especially need to ste it up. And STILL, I walked out with a smile on my face.

In the end, I’m baffled that this is on Broadway, especially without a British cast. But I’m not mad that I saw it!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#28THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/8/18 at 11:49pm

I saw this tonight.

I felt like this was a perfect example of "humor is subjective" - but I experienced this feeling in a way that I never have before. Every time they made a joke, I sort of thought to myself "yeah I get how that's funny," and yet I almost never laughed. I kept thinking "if I had a different sense of humor, I think I'd find this very funny" - which of course is a statement that's true about ANY comedy that I don't like, but for some reason I felt more aware of it in this play than I ever have before. 

I enjoyed the live match, and the commentators. I agree that Max Gordon Moore was a standout, and I thought Conlee was charming. The lead guy was earnest and likable (and yes, attractive). 

I thought Daniel Sullivan's Little Foxes was flawless, and his Troilus and Cressida at SITP remains one of my favorite Shakespeare productions I've ever seen. I even enjoyed Saint Joan despite its flaws. But I feel like he's a little too out of his element on this one. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#29THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/9/18 at 1:30pm

What's the approx run time on this one?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#30THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/9/18 at 1:36pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "What's the approx run time on this one?"

I was told 2h15m, but it ran closer to 2.5 hours last night. With one intermission. 

BroadwayConcierge
#31THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/9/18 at 1:38pm

JBroadway said: "I was told 2h15m, but it ran closer to 2.5 hours last night. With one intermission."

Thank you!

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#32THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/14/18 at 9:56am

I saw it last night and have to say that I enjoyed The Nap. No, it isn't One Man Two Guvnors and I wasn't expecting it to be. Two Guvnors is an adaption of a Commedia Dell'arte piece which has stock characters and tends to have a very physical and stylized comedy.  The Nap is an original play and I found the humour to be more verbal than physical.

I agree with those who say the timing needs to tighten up but I think that it will do so over the course of previews. In my opinion, it's worth seeing, especially if you like British comedy.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#33THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/23/18 at 2:27pm

Caught this last night. The audience seemed to be having a ball. I felt like I did at Gettin’ The Band Back- the audience was having a ball and I was just sitting there. Not that I disliked it, I just wasn’t laughing at the jokes, as others were. Spotted a couple of critics so I wondered if the audience was having an extra special time because of that.
Really liked Alexandra Billings- pardon me if I missed the spelling of her name. I would have liked if the play was about her character. Great set. Although I wish they didn’t have to show the best part of the set before the final competition. Structurally, I guess they had to but I think to see that set only in the last scene would have been more effective. Accents prevented me from hearing a lot of the dialogue.
My partner left at intermission. Not that he disliked it so much- he just felt unengaged by the whole thing.
My mind was wondering about my plans for the next day so I guess I was unengaged too.

BroadwayConcierge
#34THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/23/18 at 3:17pm

I had the same experience as you, EthelMae. I thought there was a crazy disconnect between the audience response and what was being said on stage. It made me wonder if I was just completely missing something or what...

I thought the whole affair was kind of pointless. The play itself is only okay, and the first scene is interminably long. Live snooker was a treat, though, and so was Billings’ performance. But this is one of those shows I’ll remember nothing about in a few weeks.

LightsOut90
#35THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/23/18 at 10:31pm

this was a nice distraction for two hours, maybe its because my expectations were so low but i enjoyed most of it, my problem is that it just kind of ends, also the first twenty minutes DRAGGGGGGGGG, loved Thomas Jay Ryan's commentary and Alexandra Billings was great. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#36THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/26/18 at 3:48pm

I have a weird request for anyone who has seen the show. I just had to leave right before intermission because I was having pretty severe stomach pains. (I'm ok now, so no worries!) Would someone be kind enough to DM me what happens in Act 2? I though Act 1 was fine, but not strong enough to get me to go back and sit through it again just to find out what happens at the end.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#37THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/27/18 at 9:27am

Updated On: 9/27/18 at 09:27 AM

rg7759
#38THE NAP Previews
Posted: 9/27/18 at 10:54am

Just once please, don't start a new thread besides this one, since no one cares.