Unaccompanied minors

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#25Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/12/18 at 10:19pm

I'd imagine that rule is more to make sure parents aren't treating the theatre staff like babysitters and sending their tiny children into a long show with some scary moments by themselves, not to ID everyone who looks like they may or may not be under 14 years old. 

Anyway, I started seeing shows alone and with other teenaged friends when I was 14 and it was chill. I also started taking the train to the city alone when I was 15 or 16 and moved here by myself at 17. Personally I wouldn't send a kid younger than middle school age into any situation without an adult, but that's just me.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/12/18 at 10:22pm

Not too many people under the driving age HAVE ID, so of course they didn't check.  As the above poster said, that's what SUPPOSED to happen if the usher thinks the child LOOKS under 14.   Does everyone do their job?  Of course not.  (and maybe that policy wasn't in place yet.)  Additionally, lots of people have no clue what a 13 year old looks like (as compared to a 16 year old.  I also looked 13 when I was 10, and looked 15 or older by the time I was 13. 

Perhaps the word choice was poor - but that is likely their official policy.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Swiss Miss Profile Photo
Swiss Miss
#27Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/12/18 at 10:44pm

As I said in my OP my understanding is that they do NOT card you if you “look” 14+, but will stop you if you don’t, call a manager and/or ask to speak to your accompanying parent.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#28Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/12/18 at 11:16pm

Parents are much more cautious these days.

At the age of 15, I was working as a theater usher. Illegally (because state law prohibited minors younger than 16 from doing paid work), but I was (and am) tall and the theater manager rightly assumed no one would question my age.

I was certainly old enough to handle the responsibility and had been going to local productions alone since I was 12. It depends on the teen.

yesraccoons Profile Photo
yesraccoons
#29Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/12/18 at 11:46pm

I’m 16 but I look about 14 and have never been questioned or stopped. If anything ushers have been nicer to me... 7 and 12 might be too young though. You can always call the theater and ask before hand.

NYC Cheapo
#30Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/13/18 at 11:56am

I really am not trolling.  My kids like the theater, but my wife and I don't.  We've lived in NYC for years and never taken our kids to the theater.  Two years ago my daughter asked if she could see Hamilton;  I said no, but started entering the lottery, and eventually won.  Since then, I've entered lotteries or done an occasional rush, so the kids can have the Broadway experience, which is really something unique to NYC.  I do this only for shows where I think my younger one will behave... for example, when I won the Hamilton lottery, I gave the tickets to my daughter to bring a friend, since I thought Hamilton would be too boring for him.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#31Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/13/18 at 12:10pm

I think the Harry Potter age policy is the official policy, but having a policy is one thing and enforcing it (and the practicality of doing so) is another. I think the practice of the policy is just to make it known so parents don't think they can drop off really young kids unaccompanied to watch the show and expect theatre staff to be their babysitters. A show like Harry Potter probably needs to publicize that sort of policy because the Harry Potter brand will attract children. I think they don't care about kids watching the show unaccompanied who look like and carry themselves off as teeanagers, even young ones.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#32Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/13/18 at 3:07pm

Are you really letting a 7 y.o. see DEH? My kid is a bit older than that and has seen at least 3 shows, knows how to behave in the theater, etc., but the material in DEH is way too mature for any 7 year old.

textbarellis Profile Photo
textbarellis
#33Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/13/18 at 4:47pm

My parents started letting me go into the city, take the subways, and rush shows myself at age 13. I was very mature for my age and prior had already been going into the city 4 times a week with them, since I was 7 years-old. I always had my phone on me, in case of any emergency. SIDE NOTE: My mom also took me to see the 2009 revival of Hair for my 9th birthday. I remember the usher telling my mom that the show might be too explicit for me, but we both didn't give a ****.

Most people thought my parents were crazy, but looking back at it. They never really treated me like a child and never tried to hide mature content from me. I'm extremely grateful! Shaped me into the independent person I am today.

I know all kids and parents aren't like this, so I guess it all just depends on the kid's maturity. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#34Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/13/18 at 10:38pm

I was 7 years old and after I saw my first Broadway musical in 1972: PIPPIN at the Imperial Theatre, I wanted to see it again which my folks didn’t want to so they bought me a matinee ticket and dropped me off at the theatre and met me outside the box office window after the performance.  A tradition that continued for years.  

NYC Cheapo
#35Unaccompanied minors
Posted: 9/15/18 at 6:07pm

I won tickets to the Phantom matinee today and sent both kids.  Tickets were front row (AA), house left, near the aisle.  One usher asked my older one where her parents were, and instead of lying she just said, "They're not here."  The usher evidently thought a moment, shrugged, and then told them to enjoy the show.  So perhaps this is the easiest approach.  (Both kids reported that they enjoyed the show quite a bit, and it was apparently sold out.)