The Ferryman or Torch Song

hls
#1The Ferryman or Torch Song
Posted: 10/20/18 at 5:35pm

So I'm debating between these two shows.   I've read wonderful things about The Ferryman, but the 3 hour length is a little daunting.  I typically enjoy musicals more than plays, so I'm not really sure which would be better for me.  I realize I'm probably going to get a variety of opinions here, but thought I would try to see if one wins out.  I know I can't go wrong with either, but unfortunately I only have time for one more show.

Updated On: 10/20/18 at 05:35 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2The Ferryman or Torch Song
Posted: 10/20/18 at 5:44pm

Both are excellent. You really can't go wrong with either, it just depends on what you're more in the mood for. Worth noting, though, that Torch Song is currently running three hours, so it's not much shorter than Ferryman

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#3The Ferryman or Torch Song
Posted: 10/20/18 at 5:53pm

I loved The Ferryman, but I recommend Torch Song, even though I haven't seen it yet, based on the fact that you typically enjoy musicals more than plays. I think you would find it easier to digest. 

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#4The Ferryman or Torch Song
Posted: 10/20/18 at 7:43pm

Torch Song is also a play, not a musical, and the running time is about the same as The Ferryman.

I would say they are both great shows.

Updated On: 10/20/18 at 07:43 PM

ilysespieces
#5The Ferryman or Torch Song
Posted: 10/20/18 at 8:00pm

The Ferryman was ~3 hours and 15 minutes, Torch Song was ~2 hours and 45 minutes, so I wouldn't let the time scare you off of The Ferryman.

Of those two, personally I enjoyed The Ferryman better, but it wasn't by much. I don't think you can make a bad choice if those are your two options.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#6The Ferryman or Torch Song
Posted: 10/21/18 at 8:47am

I think where you sit may affect your experience. For me, whenever I watch plays I have learned i'ts worth it to sit either in front mezz or the front side/center orchestra. It's simply a different experience and seeing facial expressions (especially in dramatic plays) certainly changes the experience for me.

I have yet to see the Ferryman but I've seen Torch Song twice (sat front row orch and front mezz) on Broadway and each time I got very emotional. I plan to see Ferryman in Nov.

hls
#7The Ferryman or Torch Song
Posted: 10/21/18 at 1:17pm

thanks everyone!  I've decided to see The Ferryman.  I've already seen every other musical that I am interested in, and actually looking forward to going a little out of my musical comfort zone for The Ferryman.

Videos