THOM PAIN

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#1THOM PAIN
Posted: 10/27/18 at 11:40am

Began my NY theatre week with TP, but no real momentum to the piece. Did not see its earlier incarnation some years ago, knew it was "Based on nothing." Anyone else seen it yet? Hard to tell if the audience response, and Hall's performance, were as tentative as they were supposed to be. Was audience participation expected, or is that just part of the script?

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#2THOM PAIN
Posted: 10/27/18 at 1:22pm

I saw it at the Geffen Playhouse here in LA starring one of the guys from the tv show "The Office". It was one of the most boring theatre pieces I have ever seen. There's no plot... its literally "nothing"... Skip it. You will regret going.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#3THOM PAIN
Posted: 10/27/18 at 3:17pm

I’ve read the play. It’s absurdist theatre, kind of like Beckett. I like it, but I can totally see how someone would totally hate it.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#4THOM PAIN
Posted: 10/27/18 at 3:24pm

Have not seen this production, but I do have to say that all of the Will Eno plays that I have read and seen seem like reductionist, hipster pastiches of better absurdist plays, and this is coming from someone who enjoys Beckett and early Albee.  I don't know why Eno's gets the praise and adulation that it gets.  While watching the play, I always feel like that there's some inside joke that I'm not in on, which is frustrating as an audience member.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#5THOM PAIN
Posted: 10/27/18 at 3:33pm

I will say that “The Realistic Joneses” is one of the worst plays I have ever read.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#6THOM PAIN
Posted: 10/27/18 at 10:12pm

If you're not a fan of Will Eno, this play probably won't change your mind. But MCH is excellent in it - run time was exactly 60 minutes, and it flies by. Do not sit close if you don't want interaction, as he spends the entire show direct addressing the audience. And yes, there is audience participation.

In terms of genre/writing, I feel like the direction & acting really surpasses the weak and irreverent text.

Is it a must see? Absolutely not. But for $35, a brisk hour of theater, and a great intimate performance with MCH, it was well worth it, and I would recommend it.

JBC3
#7THOM PAIN
Posted: 10/27/18 at 10:24pm

Pain is in the title.
Enough said.

LightsOut90
#8THOM PAIN
Posted: 11/11/18 at 12:56am

loved this, love Eno, love Oliver Butler and Michael C Hall is the perfect Will Eno "everyman" for $35 and an hour of your life, not a bad deal.

and hey for those that care, Michael is VERY generious with his time after, photos, signature, chatting etc