pixeltracker

If you could go back to one performance...- Page 3

If you could go back to one performance...

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#50If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/5/19 at 2:25am

Jarethan said: "I'll break therules because others did...'can't just have one, maybe 5'.

Something that I saw:

-- Angela Lansbury in MAME. The first timeI saw this remains my single favorite performance EVER.

-- Colleen Dewhurst and Jason Robards in A Moon For the Misbegotten.

-- Nicholas Nickelby. A once in a lifetime experience.

-- Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick in The Producers. I know there are people who consider this overrated and feel its relatively short run was appropriate. With Lane as Max B. and that original cast, I NEVER laughed so hard in my life; and Betrayed was one of the great 11:00 numbers ever.

-- Follies in Boston, because it was so unexpected; and I think I ENJOYED'Boy, CanThat Boy Foxtrot' more than 'I'm Still Here'.

Something That I Didn't See:

-- Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall. I listened to the recording about three weeks ago, and still got goosebumps.

-- South Pacific with Martin and Pinza."

And with FOLLIES in Bosto: It was such a great, misguided, mess...but you just knew there was brilliance there.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#51If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/5/19 at 4:47am

broadwaybabywannabe2 said: ""WHAT I HAVEN'T SEEN: I would want to see the Jean Simmons-led cast of "A Little Night Music" in the 1970s - one of my all-time favorite cast recordings".

David10086 i was lucking enough to have seen the sublime Jean Simmons in the touring company of ALNM here at the long gone Shubert Theatre in Century City...i had seen Glynis Johns in the OBC in New York, and i loved her, but i was such a Jean Simmons fan of all her movie roles that to see her sing "Send In The Clowns" was pure heaven!!...to this day i will say ALNM is the most perfect musical Sondheim wrote!
"

I worked the last stop on that national tour. Hermoine Gingold replaced Margaret Hamilton to brush up before Gingold and Simmons went to open the original London production. I am posting to report that for those who care about such things, Miss Simmons was just as lovely off-stage as she was magical on-stage.

FWIW, Simmons couldn't sing the triplets correctly in "The Glamorous Life" any better than Glynnis Johns. But, really, who cared?

ETA my choice for my one theater trip via time machine would have to be to see Merman in GYPSY. I worked with Angela Lansbury on the show in the 1970s and Angie was transcendent. And I was lucky to see Merman in CALL ME MADAM on tour. But the guys did write Rose for Miss Merman.

Updated On: 1/5/19 at 04:47 AM

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#52If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/5/19 at 8:23am

Performance I'd like to see again: Movin' Out- so much joy. Or possibly A Little Night Music starring Judi Dench- so much beauty.

Performance I wish I could have seen: OBC Pacific Overtures.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#53If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/5/19 at 8:36am

See again: Idinas red track-suit appearance at what was supposed to be her final WICKED performance.

Wish Id seen: The first NY preview of CARRIE, just for the train-wreckness.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#54If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/6/19 at 12:00am

In all my theater-going days, the only show I ever left at Intermission was FLOYD COLLINS, produced by TheaterWorks Silicon Valley where I have always seen top-notch productions. I like and appreciate bluegrass but the show bored me. I've since listened to the recording and it grew on me. I'd like to give the production another chance. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#55If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/6/19 at 10:33am

GavestonPS said: "broadwaybabywannabe2 said: ""WHAT I HAVEN'T SEEN: I would want to see the Jean Simmons-led cast of "A Little Night Music" in the 1970s - one of my all-time favorite cast recordings".

David10086 i was lucking enough to have seen the sublime Jean Simmons in the touring company of ALNM here at the long gone Shubert Theatre in Century City...i had seen Glynis Johns in the OBC in New York, and i loved her, but i was such a Jean Simmons fan of all her movie roles that to see her sing "Send In The Clowns" was pure heaven!!...to this day i will say ALNM is the most perfect musical Sondheim wrote!
"

I worked the last stop on that national tour. Hermoine Gingold replaced Margaret Hamilton to brush up before Gingold and Simmons went to open the original London production. I am posting to report that for those who care about such things, Miss Simmons was just as lovely off-stage as she was magical on-stage.

FWIW, Simmons couldn't sing the triplets correctly in "The Glamorous Life" any better than Glynnis Johns. But, really, who cared?.
"

For everyone who had the chance to see Simmons in ALNM, thank you for sharing your experiences here with me. I'm so envious of you all - in a very good way! LOL,  I would agree it is the best Sondheim musical by far. I did see the revival with Bernadette Peters / Elaine Strich and loved it - though was disappointed with the staging and costumes. Believe it or not, I also enjoy the movie (despite the miscast Taylor) - Diana Rigg is superb in the film. 

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#56If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/6/19 at 2:27pm

Lansbury in Gypsy or Richardson in Cabaret are the two performances I would give anything to go back in time to experience.

The Other One
#57If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/6/19 at 2:35pm

Laurette Taylor in The Glass Menagerie.

Ms_Flyover
#58If you could go back to one performance...
Posted: 1/7/19 at 12:13am

My time machine requests:

Didnt See:
Alan Rickman as Valmont in Les Liaisons Dangereuses
Ian McKellen as Salieri in Amadeus
George Hearn in La Cage
ANYTHING with Gwen Verdon. Anything

Did See:
Tyne Daly in Gypsy. So brilliant and currently so underrated