pixeltracker

Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf

Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf

broadwayindie
#1Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf
Posted: 6/3/19 at 1:38am

Giving this show its own thread. It was mentioned in others but I think the reviews for this show are going to be incredible.

I just saw this show tonight and HOLY CRAP. This is a play unlike anything I have ever seen.

First things first: GET THERE EARLY. There is a full blown pre-show that starts at least 30 min before the show.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The play it self was moving, thought provoking and immersive.

It's staged on a runway with chairs and tables all around and then audience seats. We sat in the normal audience but there is not a bad seat in the house (thanks to Landau's masterful directing). It really just depends on the experience you want to have and how much looking up you may want to have (as there are chairs surrounding the runway).

The text (which I'm informed is being changed daily because it's in previews) is excellent. It does tell the story of the first drag queen presidential candidate but is more about how power, marginalization and oppression. The show is a play but has elements of drag, music performance and audience participation. The 4th wall is non-existant. If it was the show would seem voyeuristic. Because it doesn't exist, you are on the journey with the cast and exploring this narrative.

The entire cast is fantastic! It was a treat to see McCraney. I didn't realize he wrote Choir Boy and Moonlight was based off his work. He was incredible. He was LIVING this character and not acting it. It felt so raw at times.

That being said, Sawyer Smith STOLE THE SHOW.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

They didn't have much but each time they were on was incredible. They had two numbers, at one point they come on as David Bowie singing Starman. The other they sing Queen's The Show Must Go On in a power falsetto dressed as uncle sam in drag. It was unbelievable.

The rest of the cast is fantastic. Molly Brennan is a gem of the Chicago theatre community and everyone else stands out.

Tina Landau's directing is masterful. The show is able to be immersive and interactive but knows it's boundaries and never crosses them.

I could see this being a yearly event at Steppenwolf for pride.

LightsOut90
#2Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf
Posted: 6/3/19 at 3:22am

this will be in The Publics next season just for anyone wondering about a NYC run.

MarilynMonroeSmash Profile Photo
MarilynMonroeSmash
#3Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf
Posted: 6/3/19 at 9:21am

LightsOut90 said: "this will be in The Publics next season just for anyone wondering about a NYC run."

Do you know if in the fall or spring?

Pashacar
#4Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf
Posted: 6/3/19 at 11:29am

broadwayindie said: "Giving this show its own thread. It was mentioned in others but I think the reviews for this show are going to be incredible.

So glad to hear! Going to Chicago this weekend for the Cromer Next to Normal and added this to the list a few weeks ago (in "party zone" seats no less) because we loved what Tina & David Zinn did together on Spongebob. Even more excited now!

JVJ93
#5Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf
Posted: 6/6/19 at 2:20pm

MarilynMonroeSmash said: "LightsOut90 said: "this will be in The Publics next season just for anyone wondering about a NYC run."

Do you know if in the fall or spring?

"

Public announced their season and Ms Blakk wasn’t listed. Disappointed. This got my hopes up 

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#6Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf
Posted: 6/6/19 at 5:33pm

broadwayindie said: "Giving this show its own thread. It was mentioned in others but I think the reviews for this show are going to be incredible.

I wouldn't call this Chris Jones review exactly "incredible":

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/ct-ent-ms-blakk-steppenwolf-review-ttd-0605-story.html

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

broadwayindie
#7Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf
Posted: 6/7/19 at 2:57pm

Nor would I call the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/theater/ms-blakk-for-president-review-tarell-mccraney.html

I think Jones focused on the historical aspect too much and Green didn't know what to make of it because it's not really a play but a lot more than that. Windy City Times who I would have thought to have the most gripes due to historical inaccuracies loved it.

It's also Jeff Recommended.

So I mean trust the reviews as much. I still STRONGLY recommend seeing this

DrowsyKaye
#8Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf
Posted: 6/7/19 at 5:03pm

Chris Jones' review is entirely odd and frustrating in that he's trying to prescribe what he thinks the show should be rather than evaluating what it is. Don't let his words fool you. This is my favorite play showing in Chicago right now and I hope this production has a future life. To me it reads like a brilliant piece of political theater matched with an immersive party atmosphere. It's a blast. Check it out if you can.

LightsOut90
#9Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf
Posted: 6/7/19 at 11:06pm

sorry let me clairfy, it will be in the season, when is a question because Tarell has a few projects that havent been locked down date wise but the public wants this in the 2nd half of the season 

LarryD2
#10Ms. Blakk For President at Steppenwolf
Posted: 6/8/19 at 9:55am

LightsOut90 said: "sorry let me clairfy, it will be in the season, when is a question because Tarell has a few projects that havent been locked down date wise but the public wants this in the 2nd half of the season"

I've heard it will happen sometime next summer, similar to this summer's dates at Steppenwolf. Because Tarell is the head of playwriting at Yale he can't really commit to 8 shows a week in New York during the academic year.