pixeltracker

Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr

Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr

CCip
#1Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr
Posted: 6/8/19 at 9:17pm

I have a ticket to Hadestown in August at which point I will be very super pregnant. My friend told me the restrooms are upstairs but that there is an accessible restroom in the orchestra. Does anyone know if they'd let a super preggo hit the accessible restroom rather than make her walk up the stairs, probably end up being last in line and probably pee her pants as a result?? 

MollyJeanneMusic
#2Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr
Posted: 6/8/19 at 9:22pm

I would assume they'd be reasonable.  The ushers and security guards were really nice, and I even heard one of them doing the call-and-response part of "Our Lady of the Underground," which I thought was really cool.  They seem really invested in the show and the people who come to it, so they should be able to accommodate you.  Congratulations on the baby, by the way!

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

dsapery
#3Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr
Posted: 6/8/19 at 9:37pm

I was just there last weekend. Yes, there is an accessible restroom on the house left side, under an archway beneath the boxes. Same side as where you enter the theatre.

You won't have any problem "justifying" using it. I've never seen anyone passing judgment on who uses an accessible restroom in any theatre.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#4Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr
Posted: 6/8/19 at 11:05pm

Depending on the theater and the type of patrons that generally go to see that show, I've seen the accessible restroom have a longer line than the regular restroom (i.e. matinees). Just an fyi. Remember the accessible restroom only has 1 toilet  so if the performance has several disabled/elderly/pregnant/etc. folks in line, it may be faster to go to the regular restroom.

But I agree with what others have said: just ask for the accessible restroom and the usher should show you where it is.

My advice is to go to Hadestown when the house opens to give you plenty of time to acquaint yourself with the theater, find your seat, and go to the accessible bathroom. Enjoy the performance!! 

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#5Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr
Posted: 6/9/19 at 1:10am

Disability and use of accessible facilities is by self-identification.  If you don't feel able to use stairs in your "super-preggo" state, then that is your call, and it is fine to use the accessible washroom if you need it.  Unfortunately, contrary to what an optimist on here said, sometimes people (arseholes) do pass judgment on people with invisible disabilities, but they do not need to be listened to.  And your situation won't be invisible anyway.  I've never had an usher be rude to me anyway, only twice a patron in a line (my disability has since become visible).  I once offered to show the person my two surgery scars on my foot and he shut up about it.

Updated On: 6/9/19 at 01:10 AM

dsapery
#6Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr
Posted: 6/10/19 at 4:00pm

adam.peterson44 is spot-on and summarized it better than I had.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#7Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr
Posted: 6/10/19 at 4:34pm

adam.peterson44 said: "Disability and use of accessible facilities is by self-identification. If you don't feel able to use stairs in your "super-preggo" state, then that is your call, and it is fine to use the accessible washroom if you need it."

Yes. (And Jujamcyn staff are the BEST)
I'm an usher at a theater in SF with a similar situation. We have 3 single ADA restrooms in orch and a line. Working the ADA line is one of my favorite positions. As my husband needs to use it when he goes to shows, I have somewhat of a personal stake. When I mention that to the people in the queue as they wait, they usually get that "so you understand!" expression. We always announce that they are "accessible ADA restrooms." (Sometimes, if it's a big family show, we also add "family" to the description.) If people ask for more explanation, I say that it's for people who would have a problem with the stairs. Of course, announcements are followed by mentioning the 20 stalls in the large women's bathroom down the steps.

Of course, we never make people "prove" they belong in line. When asked about it one day, I replied that not all disabilities are necessarily obvious to others. A few minutes later, a patron thanked me for saying that. While I never single anyone out, every few minutes, inevitably a few people get in line, unaware of the ADA purpose. I then will make the general announcement again (but not directed to anyone in particular). Usually those who were in the line by mistake head to the big restrooms.

Jessryn
#8Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr
Posted: 6/10/19 at 6:58pm

I just said that I had trouble with stairs and asked if they had an accessible bathroom and they pointed me to it, so I think it should be no problem.

KathyNYC2
#9Accessible Restroom at Walter Kerr
Posted: 6/10/19 at 9:18pm

As an usher, I can tell you that you don't have to show a visible problem to use the accessible. If someone says they need it, its not our job to judge. Are most people honest? I would hope so. However, some people cheat and we just have to go along with it. We can remind people that this is the accessible restroom but if they don't move, we have to allow it.

That said, if we notice a pregnant woman, we will certainly direct them to the accessible restroom even if she doesn't ask. We may also move a very pregnant woman, child, elderly person, etc from standing on the regular line to the front of the line if we feel someone is having a hard time waiting. We have rules but we want to be human beings too.