pixeltracker

Derren Brown - Coming to Broadway???- Page 2

Derren Brown - Coming to Broadway???

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#25Derren Brown - Coming to Broadway???
Posted: 11/1/19 at 12:28pm

Saw the show for the first time two days ago and was intrigued and baffled.  I recommend seeing the show with friends (went with a friend of mine and we certainly talked about the show during intermission.)

I didn't realize Derren Brown was gay! He mentions this during his introduction and I just thought it was so cool to see a gay magician/actor/performer onstage! As a gay man myself, I think it's great to see more gays be out and proud out there!

It seems to me every show would be a different experience but I am curious what your experiences are like! 

Due to the nature of the show, I'll use the spoiler alert to state my thoughts below:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I also noticed the show posters throughout the theater. In particular, I remember seeing a poster for a play called Thai Girl. 

During the show, Derren Brown drew a pretty good portrait of Marilyn Monroe.

In Act 2, the audience member question he correctly guessed was a man in his 30s wondering whether he'd get his pilot's license. Derren also guessed he was a former gymnast (which was correct!) My friend and I were in awe!

While Derren Brown's head was covered, he picked on a lady who was there with her boyfriend. Derren was hesitant to tell us her secret but then stated that her secret is she's worried her boyfriend may know about her girlfriend. It was shocking to see her boyfriend's face after that remark. The entire audience was in awe!

Yes, my friend and I did think that there's a possibility both people were planted in the audience but I don't know... I don't think they were but certainly it's possible.

What baffled us was the last bit after the video. Wow! No idea how Derren does it every night but we were certainly entertained!!!

nasty_khakis
#26Derren Brown - Coming to Broadway???
Posted: 11/1/19 at 3:57pm

Saw it last night and it was fine. I easily saw/figured out how he did the final trick so the fact it took like 30-40 minutes was VERY underwhelming, especially when you realize how easy it is to do. 

The key thing to know is it's ALL manipulation.

If anyone wants to know anything (the ones I can't easily say are the blindfolded stuff), let me know. I'll put it under a spoiler or DM.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#27Derren Brown - Coming to Broadway???
Posted: 11/1/19 at 4:19pm

I don't think Derren ever claims it isn't manipulation, though... but sure, spoiler away. Especially how the video works.

musicismylifeee
#28Derren Brown - Coming to Broadway???
Posted: 11/2/19 at 7:33am

Yes please

musicismylifeee
#29Derren Brown - Coming to Broadway???
Posted: 11/6/19 at 5:38am

Bump

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#30Derren Brown - Coming to Broadway???
Posted: 11/10/19 at 2:01am

Saw the show 11/5 as part of my four show visit from California this past week. I was mesmerized from beginning to end and will keep all of Derren Brown's secrets so that any future attendees don't have the performance spoiled for them. He really is a charismatic performer, yet in a low-key manner.

Ranking the four shows attended as follows, from best to less-than:
DAVID BYRNE'S AMERICAN UTOPIA
DERREN BROWN SECRET
TINA!:THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL
JAGGED LITTLE PILL

mpkie
#31Derren Brown - Coming to Broadway???
Posted: 11/24/19 at 9:27pm

This was so dreary and long. I could not understand why I should care at all regarding the proceedings, let alone the reveals. Some of my fave AGT/BGT acts are magic acts (some infused with mentalism) but I guess I couldn't click the "next" button on this... snooze fest.

I will say that Derren Brown as a performer is very charming-- I genuinely laughed at his wisecracks, and honestly they were the best part of the show. 

I am very much NOT in the camp of "how did he do that?" but completely "why should I care?" In my opinion if you're looking for an entertaining variety show, I'd easily recommend Freestyle Love Supreme over this. FLS had me going "how do they do that" all night long. I don't think I'm the target audience for either show, but I loved FLS. This was so skippable. It is a low key comedy act, but I might have liked it if it was actually a comedy show because absolutely nothing about what transpired was amazing, not even remotely intriguing. 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Also, am I a mentalist too or psychic? (I'm being sarcastic). If I saw everything coming before it happened, that's probably why I didn't enjoy it at all. Usually when I watch movies where I predict the whole plot / plot twists without even trying, I end up hating them.

For anyone who has seen the show, these were some of the things I picked up far before the reveals, none of it was interesting:

1. In the beginning I picked every hand that Derren picked.
2. I got the name of the last guy from the cards before it was revealed 5 minutes later. 
3. I got that the guy wanted to ask about college and that he had some sort of music background. (he asked about graduate school and plays the piano)
4. I got that she was going to say something about getting married or getting engaged. (she eloped and hadn't told anyone yet)
5. I got that the kangaroo would be named Roo. And somehow I also knew that the one guy would be the only one who could draw decently, which is just a coincidence that I guessed that (every other drawing was dreadfully bad - sure it made it funnier).

^yes, it's all a coincidence

What's the deal with everyone being soulless up on stage? Feels like a commonality with all mentalist acts. I get the sense they're put off by being told to not spoil it or something.

Also no one would write Einstein or J**** S******* when asked to write down a famous person. NOBODY. 99.9% someone would write a very famous actor or singer.

Also how "coincidental" that he didn't pick anyone in the crowd with an ethnic name.

I loved the ending song though -- it was genuinely funny. Really would not have minded watching a 2 hour video of JS singing parodies!

SouthernCakes
#32Derren Brown - Coming to Broadway???
Posted: 11/24/19 at 11:08pm

I mean if anyone has a comp to this...