pixeltracker

Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls- Page 3

Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#50Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/17/20 at 12:30am

StephieElise said: "singer234 said: "I would love to see Hailey Kilgore play this part."

I haven’t actually seen the show, but Iwonder if they’d be hesitant to cast someone African American because of Cady having lived in Africa - either concerns that jokes would fall flat or, even worse, seem racist when they’re about a black girl rather than a white one (or Asian or whatever). For example, does Iit include the “I’m from Michigan” joke? That doesn’t really work if Cady does look like what people expect someone from Africa to look like.
"

I think the Michigan joke, as well as the “if you’re from Africa...” joke have both been cut for the show. 

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, I haven’t seen the show since previews. 

magictodo123
#51Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/17/20 at 1:03am

GreasedLightning said: "StephieElise said: "singer234 said: "I would love to see Hailey Kilgore play this part."

I haven’t actually seen the show, but Iwonder if they’d be hesitant to cast someone African American because of Cady having lived in Africa - either concerns that jokes would fall flat or, even worse, seem racist when they’re about a black girl rather than a white one (or Asian or whatever). For example, does Iit include the “I’m from Michigan” joke? That doesn’t really work if Cady does look like what people expect someone from Africa to look like.
"

I think the Michigan joke, as well as the “if you’re from Africa...” joke have both been cut for the show.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, I haven’t seen the show since previews.
"

You’re right! Neither of those are in the show. I didn’t see it in DC but I don’t think they ever have been. 

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#52Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/19/20 at 4:09am

AlexxGee said: "I am not a Mean Girls fan at all, but Erika is beyond talented, and such a sweetheart. She hasbeen playing Cady for SO long. I hope she takes a well-deserved break before starting a new project. I know it is probably not going to happen, but I would LOVE it if Tee Boyich came back to be Cady."

Wow, I LOVE mean girls, the musical, the movie, everything, but I think Erika is so boring and was such a generic choice for Cady. I hope i warm up to her more in other roles, but she was not the Lindsay replacement that was needed for that part.  

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#53Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/20/20 at 3:19pm

In DC - the line "If you're from Africa, why are you white" was there, but the cast recently did a Google Talks interview and Kate Rockwell explained that they cut it because they didn't want the audience to finish the joke and be ahead of the moment so they cut it. 

The line when Cady first arrives has changed a little in recent because of the Broadway production making changes to follow up with the tour. 

It was originally: 

Mr. Duvall: We have a new student joining us, her name is Caddy Heron

Cady: It's Cady

Mr. Duvall: She just moved here from Kansas 

Cady: Kenya

The new line is similar but it has Mr. Duvall saying "We have a new student joining us, she just moved here from Arkansas." and Cady responding "Africa" and Mr. Duvall repeating it before introducing her as Caddy and being corrected like the above. The tour change goes a little further with Mr. Duvall making a comment about the names of students similar to the movie. 

Considering they've had Olivia Kaufmann as standby for Cady and she's Asian, I don't see there being a problem with an African American Cady. Mean Girls has had their fair share of diverse covers for their roles, so I don't see why they couldn't have a woman of color playing Cady or any of their leading females. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 1/20/20 at 03:19 PM

GlenCoco
#54Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/20/20 at 3:50pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "In DC - the line "If you're from Africa, why are you white" was there, but the cast recently did a Google Talks interview and Kate Rockwell explained that they cut it because they didn't want the audience to finish the joke and be ahead of the moment so they cut it.

The line when Cady first arrives has changed a little in recent because of the Broadway production making changes to follow up with the tour.

It was originally:

I remember when Zurin (a black woman) covered Karen she would still say the line "Caucasian thumbs up" which bothered some people

Mr. Duvall: We have a new student joining us, her name is Caddy Heron

Cady: It's Cady

Mr. Duvall: She just moved here from Kansas

Cady: Kenya

The new line is similar but it has Mr. Duvall saying"We have a new student joining us, she just moved here from Arkansas." and Cady responding "Africa" and Mr. Duvall repeating it before introducing her as Caddy and being corrected like the above. The tour change goes a little further with Mr. Duvall making a comment about the names of students similar to the movie.

Considering they've had Olivia Kaufmann as standby for Cady and she's Asian, I don't see there being a problem with an African American Cady. Mean Girls has had their fair share of diverse covers for their roles, so I don't see why they couldn't have a woman of color playing Cady or any of their leading females.
"

lightsarebrightonbroadway
#55Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/22/20 at 1:16am

Just considering her recent presence in New York, could Maia Reficco potentially be replacing Erika?

magictodo123
#56Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/22/20 at 8:27am

lightsarebrightonbroadway said: "Just considering her recent presence in New York, could Maia Reficco potentially be replacing Erika?"

I'm sorry--who? 

inmyownlittlecorner
#57Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/22/20 at 9:09am

magictodo123 said: "lightsarebrightonbroadway said: "Just considering her recent presence in New York, could Maia Reficco potentially be replacing Erika?"

I'm sorry--who?
"

She’s famous for being on a Nickelodeon telenovela and just finished a run in the City Center’s production of Evita as Young Evita. She’s incredible, just watch the video of her performing Buenos Aires

copathetiic
#58Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/22/20 at 9:10am

lightsarebrightonbroadway said: "Just considering her recent presence in New York, could Maia Reficco potentially be replacing Erika?"

She’s currently doing Next to Normal at the Kennedy center but I guess there is enough of a turn around for her to come to mean girls. However I think she might be a little young to take on the beast of a role that is Cady

inmyownlittlecorner
#59Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/22/20 at 9:13am

copathetiic said: "lightsarebrightonbroadway said: "Just considering her recent presence in New York, could Maia Reficco potentially be replacing Erika?"

She’s currently doing Next to Normal at the Kennedy center but I guess there is enough of a turn around for her to come to mean girls. However I think she might be a little young to take on the beast of a role that is Cady
"

Maia is the same age as Renee though and Regina is much more difficult vocally, imo. I think she has that really nice pretty mix but if she’s playing Natalie, she can probably belt her heart out as well. Tbh, I’m all for more teenagers being on broadway in roles that are the same age. 

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#60Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/22/20 at 1:08pm

I saw Olivia Kaufmann as Cady earlier this week and LOVED her. I hope she replaces.

Browneyes142
#61Erika Henningsen to Depart Mean Girls
Posted: 1/22/20 at 1:46pm

So I know I'm late to the conversation and Gray has been acknowledged as a strong tapper, but just wanted to add something. I remember in the interviews when they first started, the creators said they wrote "Stop" just to showcase his tapping.

I also think part of what makes Gray and Barrett hard to replace is their real life friendship that predates the show.

People have mentioned how many famous people that could be stunt casted as the adult female role might not want to do 8 shows a week. I think it would be fun to have a rotating group. Maybe they do a certain day of the week or maybe they just take a week or two each.