2020 Music

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#252020 Music
Posted: 8/5/20 at 11:21am

Same. I’ll never deny she is a talented songwriter and this album has some great turns of phrase, but by the end of my one and only listen I was bored (mainly due to the flattering production) and glad when it was over. At least I tried! Never a big fan although I like a few of her songs. I guess my inner teenage girl is dead. LOL. At least I listened to the whole thing. I had to abandon Bob Dylan’s universally praised new album on the first track mid-song.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#262020 Music
Posted: 8/5/20 at 12:35pm

Same! I think she has a great ear for melody but this album didn't do anything for me, except put me to sleep. 

For me, her vocals just aren't interesting or engaging. So therefore I don't find her music interesting. Like, Kelly Clarkson gets me every time. Pink gets me every time. 

ArtMan
#272020 Music
Posted: 9/30/20 at 9:32pm

Anybody listen to the new Alicia Keys?  I'm on my first listen and am really disappointed.  I hope it grows on me further listening.    I'm shocked that critics say it is her best yet.  Also didn't want to start a new thread.  I'm saddened by the passing of Helen Reddy.  What a voice.   "Peaceful" is one of my favorites.

Updated On: 9/30/20 at 09:32 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#282020 Music
Posted: 10/1/20 at 3:12pm

Highland Guy said: "uncageg said: "For some reason The Graham Norton Show is no longer available here on Comcast. Would love to have seen that episode."

I didn't expect to find it, but here it is. He makes a brief call to Judi Dench

"

Just saw this. Thanks!

Just give the world Love.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#292020 Music
Posted: 10/1/20 at 3:29pm

ArtMan said: "Anybody listen to the new Alicia Keys? I'm on my first listen and am really disappointed. I hope it grows on me further listening. I'm shocked that critics say it is her best yet. Also didn't want to start a new thread. I'm saddened by the passing of Helen Reddy. What a voice. "Peaceful" is one of my favorites."

I didn't care for it either. I am not a big fan of hers but I like her hits. I do like the lead off single, "So Done", and love the video.

Iwent down the You Tube rabbit hole a few months back and stumbled on the Terell (Grice) Show. He recorded an albumwith a bunch of artists called "Invitation to the Cookout". I have been enjoying that and appreciate it more after watching the 12 part (yes, 12!) making of documentary he did.

I am also listening to the new Prince release of "Sign O The Times" with all of the extra music from The Vault. It's a lot!

I was really looking forward to the new Glass Animals album "DREAMLAND". It's ok. It feels a bit more mainstream than their last album and I was not expecting that. 

So far my favorite release this year has been Jacob Collier's "Djesse - Vol. 3". I was really looking forward to it and it did not disappoint. 

ArtMan
#302020 Music
Posted: 10/1/20 at 3:49pm

I'm on my second listen and there are some songs I'm liking more.  I think the problem is there are too many collaborations.  I buy Alicia Keys to hear her voice.  The songs that I am beginning to like are just her without added voices and raps.

ArtMan
#312020 Music
Posted: 10/1/20 at 4:01pm

I saw the Prince today at Target under the new releases.  I didn't know it had a 2020 update.  Did you happen to get the super deluxe or just deluxe?  The super deluxe on Amazon is quite pricey.  While Target has the deluxe (3 cds) on sale for $14.99.  I will be buying the Mariah Carey "Rarities" tomorrow.   Then Kylie Minogue  in November.  Unless they release the new Janet Jackson before end of 2020, that will be it, unless something surfaces like the new Adele or Miley Cyrus.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#322020 Music
Posted: 10/1/20 at 5:07pm

I got the Prince Sign o’ The Times on the 2LP peach vinyl on Saturday. They did a great job of remastering a masterpiece. I’d love to get the super deluxe 13 LP + 1 DVD boxset, but the price is prohibitive right now. I wonder which album the Prince Estate will give the deluxe treatment next.

I’ve been listening to lots of music during the pandemic/quarantine which has allowed me to take the time to really appreciate music again rather than just skimming/half-listening to it one my phone.

So far, my favorite new releases of the year are:

Fetch the Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple
Future Nostalgia- Dua Lipa
After Hours - The Weeknd
Rare - Selena Gomez
Gaslighter - The Chicks
Such Pretty Forks in the Road - Alanis Morissette
Smile - Katy Perry
American Head - The Flaming Lips (listening again right now. For those not acquainted, psychedelic rock band from my home state of Oklahoma who produce epic albums)
Blackbird - Bettye LaVette
What’s Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware
Whole New Mess - Angel Olsen
Punisher - Phoebe Bridgers
Fun City - Bright Light Bright Light
BREACH - Fenne Lily

For those that are into dance music, I especially recommend you check out Fun City by Bright Light Bright Light & What’s Your Pleasure by Jessie Ware.

During quarantine, I’ve become that obnoxious vinyl collector who prefers his first listen of a new album to be on vinyl so I’ve preordered a few albums by artists who have solid track records and/or who’ve already released parts of/their entire album digitally so I can at least scan enough to know if I might like before ordering. Here’s what I’ve got coming in the near future so far:

The Ascension - Sufjan Stevens
Violet - Melanie C
In A Dream EP - Troye Sivan
Disco - Kylie Minoque
Use Me - PVRIS
Letter to You - Bruce Springsteen
Alicia - Alicia Keys
Violet Bent Backwards - Lana Del Rey
Black Country Disco - Tom Aspaul

I might also pick up Elvis Costello’s & Sam Smith’s latest at my local record store when they’re released at the end of the month. My record store is about the only place I go inside of regularly as they enforce use of masks for all, social distancing, and use of hand sanitizer upon entering. What a crazy time to be alive. What a crazy time to develop an expensive hobby while my income has been drastically curtailed. But at least it’s healthier than drugs and alcohol and still cheaper than a Broadway trip to NYC. LOL

ArtMan
#332020 Music
Posted: 10/1/20 at 5:29pm

Miles, It's funny that you loved the new Katy Perry.  I really loved it too.  We are two, of the really few, that purchased.  Smile severely bombed.  Poor Katy may have some difficulty in future releases.    When you get the new Kylie, post your review.  I have a feeling I may have some trouble finding it in the store.  I don't purchase online due to the 85% chance that it will arrive to me with cd case cracked up.  I'm not crazy about the first two singles on first listen, but I will still purchase it, because it's Kylie.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#342020 Music
Posted: 10/1/20 at 6:48pm

ArtMan said: "I saw the Prince today at Target under the new releases. I didn't know it had a 2020 update. Did you happen to get the super deluxe or just deluxe? The super deluxe on Amazon is quite pricey. While Target has the deluxe (3 cds) on sale for $14.99. I will be buying the Mariah Carey "Rarities" tomorrow. Then Kylie Minogue in November. Unless they release the new Janet Jackson before end of 2020, that will be it, unless something surfaces like the new Adele or Miley Cyrus."

I got the Prince release online so it is just the audio. It is broken up into two "releases". I really didn't need the DVD's that come with the store bought package. I watched the New Years Eve concert when they ran it last week. I have seen him 3 times in concert so I was fine with not getting the videos.

I look forward to Mariah's release. Love the song she premiered at the US Open last month. Some new Miley would be nice also. I was hoping Charlie Puth would put a whole album out but he announced that he scrapped it and we just get the singles he has released.

I have a feeling Janet is going to hold that album back until she knows when she can start the tour. I had great seats for her at MSG in July. I hope we can get the same ones when/if she re-schedules. 

Edit: Just finishing listening to Mariah's "The Rarities". Really enjoying it. The Live in Tokyo second half is pretty amazing. That live version of "Anytime You Need A Friend" is killer. Was nice to hear the bit of banter and Tokyo was losing their minds over her. This recording led me to find her first live recording done in NYC at the Tatou Club in 1990. Going to listen to that next. I honestly could have done with the live version of "All I Want For Christmas". I like the song, it is a modern Christmas classic but I hear it enough everywhere every year! 

Edit again!: Just realized the new Sufjan Stevens album is out. I am a happy camper! The video for the song "Sugar" is pretty powerful.

Updated On: 10/4/20 at 06:48 PM

FindingNamo
#352020 Music
Posted: 10/6/20 at 11:16pm

I listened to the eponymous debut album by Working Men's Club in one sitting today. Like a more muscular New Order with a lead singer who doesn't go off key all the time. It just came out this week.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#362020 Music
Posted: 10/7/20 at 3:13pm

FindingNamo said: "I listened to the eponymous debut album by Working Men's Club in one sitting today. Like a more muscular New Order with a lead singer who doesn't go off key all the time. It just came out this week."

Just checked it out after reading your post. I love how the 80's sound seems to be coming back. The song "Outside" went on my "commute" playlist.

I am a big Jimpster fan. He dropped a surprise EP this past week and I am loving it.

ArtMan
#372020 Music
Posted: 10/7/20 at 3:37pm

Uncageg, I purchased the new Mariah today, but have not opened it.  After my standard five listens, I ended up liking (not loving) the new Alicia Keys.  BTW, did you see Mariah when she was the opener for Lionel Richie, a couple years back?  She was obviously lip syncing, (prohibiting the use of stage video), but her stage banter was so down to earth, you can't help but love her.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#382020 Music
Posted: 10/7/20 at 4:23pm

ArtMan said: "Uncageg, I purchased the new Mariah today, but have not opened it. After my standard five listens, I ended up liking (not loving) the new Alicia Keys. BTW, did you see Mariah when she was the opener for Lionel Richie, a couple years back? She was obviously lip syncing, (prohibiting the use of stage video), but her stage banter was so down to earth, you can't help but love her."

I have never seen Mariah live. I own a lot her her music but never had the desire to see her in concert. I wanted to see her Christmas concert in NYC years back because a friend of mine always sang back-up for her at those shows but I was unable to go.

ArtMan
#392020 Music
Posted: 10/23/20 at 4:12pm

Uncageg,  I received an email today that Miley will be releasing new cd on November 27.  Title has changed to Plastic Hearts.

FindingNamo
#402020 Music
Posted: 10/23/20 at 4:22pm

I used to worry that girls and young women had stopped picking up guitars, since that's who always got me through times of trouble like the ones we're living through. But then Taylor Swift hooked up with my faves from The National and went semi-organic and things started to look better.

Enter, beabadoobee, whose album "fake it flowers," according to Miss Swift herself, contains not a single skippable song.

Who runs the world?

ETA: Unc, just listened to the Jimpster "Smile For a While" ep and I like it a lot. If I starred in a commercial for really cool socks I would need that on in the studio for the photo session. Of course I mean that as a high compliment.

Beabadoobee, fake it flowers live

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 10/23/20 at 04:22 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#412020 Music
Posted: 10/23/20 at 9:05pm

FindingNamo: LOL I could see that. I have been a fan of Jimpster for a number of years now. If you liked his latest, you may also like his "Domestic Science" album. That and "Amour" are my two top favorites of his.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#422020 Music
Posted: 10/23/20 at 9:27pm

I went to the record store today to pick up a some new albums. I had intended this get beabadoobee‘s, but they were sold out. They’re ordering it for me. They’ve also ordered Matt Berninger’s (lead singer of The National) solo album for me.

I picked up Bruce Springsteen’s new album, Letter To You. It’s been awhile since I’ve loved a Bruce studio album. Well, it might be too early to call it love, but I’m already at least in deep, deep like.

Also, picked up the independent record store Rocktober re-release of INXS’s classic Kick. Last weekend I also picked up the Rocktober re-release of Talking Head’s seminal Fear of Music.

My third pick-up today was Sasha Sloan’s full-length album debut, Only Child, following two EPs. Think one part Taylor Swift, one part Tove Lo, one part Jewel.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#432020 Music
Posted: 10/23/20 at 9:28pm

Double post. 

Updated On: 10/23/20 at 09:28 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#442020 Music
Posted: 10/23/20 at 9:28pm

I have streamed some of beabadoobee‘s Album AMC it reminds me of female-led alt pop rock bands from the 90’s like Belly and The Breeders.  

Updated On: 10/23/20 at 09:28 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#452020 Music
Posted: 10/25/20 at 1:30am

I gave the first half of Letter to You a first listen tonight, and I don't want to jinx anything, but so far this is quite easily Bruce's best overall studio effort since The Rising. I thought it would be another mediocre detour for the Boss that wouldn't fare better than Bon Jovi's recent 2020, but boy, was I wrong thus far. The entire E Street Band is sounding great.

It does take a while for the Boss to hit his stride, though; the album unusually starts off rather slow and quiet with no buildup, before he starts bringing on the heat a bit for the second song (he also did this when I saw him live back in 2016, opening with "New York City Serenade" before getting into the louder songs). I believe we don't get our first Clemons solo until the fifth track (and glimpse of Scialfa backup vocals until the sixth?), when the music starts sounding undeniably Springsteen, a stretch of rocksteady, mid-tempo beauties. I can't wait to hear the latter half.

Welcome back, Boss. This is the Bruce so many people have known and loved for years. He took a slight departure from his usual fare with his Broadway engagement and Western Stars, but Kitty is finally back in town.

Oh look, a bibu!

ArtMan
#462020 Music
Posted: 10/26/20 at 3:59pm

I bought the Bruce cd over the weekend.  Listened to it for the first time today.  I hope it grows on me.  Except for a couple of songs, I found it to be a snoozer.  The worst part was I had trouble with understanding alot of the vocals.  An odd comparison....he's really gotten into Ariana Grande territory.

ArtMan
#462020 Music
Posted: 10/26/20 at 3:59pm

double

Updated On: 10/26/20 at 03:59 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#472020 Music
Posted: 10/26/20 at 9:02pm

The vinyl version of Letter To You came with a big beautifully produced booklet with all the lyrics which I followed along with as I listened the first time. So I didn’t find any lyrics indecipherable. It grabbed me from the first track. It’s weird. I generally consider Tunnel of Love to be my favorite Springsteen album. It’s probably his most “produced and polished” album, which is probably why I like it. Plus “Beautiful Disguise” and “Tunnel of Love” are really unlike anything else he’s ever done. Autobiographical, lushly produced, not character driven. Somehow in a way I can’t describe, this album reminds me of that one despite Letter To You bring recorded live in just five days with the E Street Band. I suppose last year’s Western Stars (which didn’t quite connect with me) has more in common on paper with Tunnel of Love, but I love Letter To You so much more. I think being able to appreciate the poetry of his lyrics really helped. For instance:

The criminal clown has stolen the throne
He steals what he can never own
May the truth ring out from every small town bar
We'll light up the house of a thousand guitars
- House of a Thousand Guitars

It (and many of the songs) feel so tethered to the time we are living through. It’s even more amazing that he has said those lyrics above pre-date the current presidency. Maybe ultimately that’s what connects this album to that earlier album. They both connected with me on a personal level. Based on both critic and informal user reviews, it seems many feel the same way.

ArtMan
#482020 Music
Posted: 11/6/20 at 11:52pm

After several listens, I ended up liking Letter To You, especially the two songs that had the saxophone solos.  I bought the new Ariana Grande yesterday and have so far listened (can't hardly understand anything she says, except the sexual content) twice and it was a letdown.  I usually love her.  Most of the songs sounded the same and none really were catchy or stood out.  Although, I am far from a prude, I got tired of her talking about her p***y.  None of my local stores are carrying the new Kylie, so I guess I will miss out on that.